• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's just been rereleased in paperback for $15.

Great find. Book is quite popular these days due to interest in turboprop light attack and announcement that Boeing is proposing to restart the Bronco production line. Their OV-10X offers new engines and avionics/sensors as well as modern weapons along with tried and true ordnance.

51UV3egXSvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

jmcquate

Contributor
Sorry if this has already been mentioned

Thud Ridge: F-105 Thunderchief missions over Vietnam by Jack Broughton

IMO the best book on the Vietnam air war.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Got two I've read lately and found quite interesting; they're on the dry side, but if you want to know how we got to where we are today, it helps to go back to the beginning:

1) Admiral William Moffett: Architect of Naval Aviation

cat867.jpg

I'm not usually one for biographies, but this one is pretty interesting - it always struck me as odd that US naval aviation really got going in the 20s, when you would figure there would be little budget or interest in such things. Turns out it was pretty much through Moffett's force of personality, skill at political maneuvering, and cleverness in working The Hill. He was also the first Naval Aviation Observer, thereby making him a kindred spirit... :) (Interestingly, he was also a huge ridgid airship fan, which would lead to his death. I guess you can't be right all the time.)

2) Revolt of the Admirals

18245219.JPG

This one covers the whole USS UNITED STATES vs the B-36 debate, and is a great segue into how and why we still don't get along well with our pals over in the Air Force. Again, a bit dry, but provides a very useful historical baseline.

Both books are great to take along on those long TRANSLANTs.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It has, but it's such a classic that it deserves mentioning again along his sequel: Going Downtown

2958eb6709a07bbe75782110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sorry if any of these are already listed. I skimmed through the long list...

"Thud Ridge" by Jack Broughton
Its about F-105's flying North in Vietnam. First Vietnam aviation book I read and was caught off guard with the things these guys went through. After reading this book I read as many F-105 based books I could get my hands on.

Yankee Uniform Tango

Personally I didn't think it was as good as Ken Bell's "100 Missions North"; I was really surprised how much detail must have been remembered/written down by the author. Makes you really feel like you are there.

1574886398_cf150.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Personally I didn't think it was as good as Ken Bell's "100 Missions North"; I was really surprised how much detail must have been remembered/written down by the author. Makes you really feel like you are there.

1574886398_cf150.jpg

I'm going to second this book, really an outstanding read.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
51WranDY12L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's about the Americans who broke the law and went to fly for the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
Great aviation Memoirs/ Novels

So I imagine like most aviators, I've read a ton of aviation memoirs, and I'm looking for some good new stuff. I really loved The Jolly Rogers by CAPT Tom Blackburg, Cleared Hot by Bob Stoffee, and a bunch of others. I'd be interested to hear about some other good books.

Also, I just read Punk's War. It was great. Good read for any J.O. Anybody have an idea where I can find Punk's Wing or Punk's Fight? They're not available on amazon anymore by any seller that looks reliable.

Thanks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Recently have read and would recommend:

Testing Death: Hughes Aircraft Test Pilots and Cold War Weaponry - awesome account of flight testing radar and weapon systems for Hughes out of the Culver City plant throughout the 1960's and 1970's. Included is the author's experience in the F-4D, A-3B, RB-66, F-111B, and even taking the first Tomcat to Miramar for bouncing following a company test hop evaluating the AIM-54. Covers AIM/ACEVAL (sp) testing, as well as some other notable points in military aviation history. Author also has another book about his experiences as an AF Sandy pilot in Vietnam.

Bogeys and Bandits Good overview of students going through the Hornet FRS

Air Warriors Surprise! Actually still a pretty good read over 10 years later. I found it to be pretty accurate, as the book pretty much follows the path I have taken through flight school (right down to dets in El Centro and CQ on the Stennis......though they were in Key West in this book).

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Very surprised none of the P-3 guys have mentioned "Adak, The Rescue of Alfa Foxtrot 586" by Andrew C. A. Jampoler, a former P-3 skipper.

Phenominal book which recounts a real life event from 1978 about how a crew handled a #1 engine fire hundreds of miles from land, had to ditch in 20 foot seas northwest of the Aleutian Islands, try to survive for hours in the slowly sinking life rafts while U.S. rescue ships were hindered by weather, only to be picked up by a Soviet fishing vessel and that took them back to USSR. Only 200 pages, but a great read.

Also "Lone Survivor," by SEAL Marcus Luttrell, about a firefight between a 4 man seal team and over a hundred Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan in 2005. A real life book written by the only survivor himself, about the firefight, and the following week on the run, hiding in an Afghan villiage, and finally his rescue. Excellent book about modern warfare and the a first hand view of the war on terror from someone whose career has been spent on the front lines.