• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

helolover

HeloLover
marine Air

Can anyone list some First person Accounts of Modern Marine Helo pilots by any chance? I have read many of the books previously listed here, but was wondering if there were many pertaining to current day marine helo pilots in general. Appreciate those who put up with us newbiees.

Thanks

helolover

HeloLover
I own it and have read it many times, and it is an excellent book. I was just curious if there were any that followed Marine pilots from Primary to a fleet squadron.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I own it and have read it many times, and it is an excellent book. I was just curious if there were any that followed Marine pilots from Primary to a fleet squadron.

Sounds like something you could propose to a publisher and make some money.

helolover

HeloLover
I found Air Warriors on Amazon uusing your link and have since then ordered it. Thanks for the tip, it was very helpful.

DFSpence

Recommended Aviation Novels/Non-Fiction

Since I graduated I have been reading for pleasure much more, and now that I got my pro-rec for SNA I am curious if the AirWarrior community could recommend their favorite Aviation books.

I read Devil At My Heels last year and it was great. Any suggestions?

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Two of my favorites while waiting for flight school were:

Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot
(follows a class through the Hornet RAG)
Flying the Edge: The Making of Navy Test Pilots
(follows a class through TPS)

After SERE School, I really enjoyed:

In the Company of Heroes
(Mike Durant's story)

Congrats on selection!

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Believe it or not the book "Airwarriors" is actually a pretty good read - about the old days of flight school.

BOYD - classic account of Col John Boyd's life, achievements, and major contributions military business and thought - required aviation PME

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe there is a thread on this exact subject and it runs many, many pages. A favorite of mine though, Over the Beach by Zalin Grant. Story about VF-162 on 3 of its deployments in Vietnam. I'm reading right now, Hostile Skies by David Morgan....a Royal Navy Sea Harrier pilot who shot down two Argentine A-4 Skyhawks. He writes really well.

A few others that I liked:

100 Missions North
A Dawn Like Thunder, True Story of Torpedo Squadron 8 (I highly recommend this book)
Rampant Raider
Flying Through Midnight

yak52driver

Contributor
I've read quite a few of the books posted. I also liked:

Lost Moon (now Apollo 13) by Jim Lovell. Not specifically about Naval Aviation, but he does have some bits of his days flying off the carrier. And the whole Apollo 13 mission is definitely a story of not giving up in the face of pretty tall odds.

Wild Blue by David Fisher. Also not focused only on Naval Aviation, made up of a series of short stories of different military and civilian pilots that are pretty interesting. Great story about a FAC flying an OV-10 in Vietnam as one of the chapters.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Another great one is called "Into the Mouth of the Cat" by Malcom McConnell. It is the story of Air Force pilot and Medal of Honor winner Lance P. Sijan's time flying and as a POW in Vietnam.