• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

I couldn't put this book down. Incredible read from one of the finest combat infantry officers who ever served in the Army

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

I couldn't put this book down. Incredible read from one of the finest combat infantry officers who ever served in the Army

"Buck" Compton has also written his memoirs. Anyone pick this one up and start to read it yet? I wonder how many 101st E company books we can read....

brownshoe

Contributor
I’ve just finished “Crusader! Last of the Gunfighters” by Rear Admiral Paul Gillcrist. A really great book about a great plane, I was lucky enough to have been in when they were still flying, what an aircraft. This is not a book for someone who knows nothing about naval aviation. (Lots of jargon and knowledge that would not be understood.)

There are some really great first hand stories of “dog fights” in the book. Kept me spellbound! Also NASA evidentially used the plane for research after it had retired from active service; supercritical wing, and fly by wire. (Interesting stuff.)

Part IX was entitled “The French Connection.” Can’t tell you about that part of the book; I refused to read that chapter.

Steve

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
For anyone else that feels like geeking out on the Civil War, (or the War of Northern Aggression, as they still call it in some parts of Va...), Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals as well as The Last Full Measure. His Father, Michael Shaara wrote The Killer Angels around 40 years ago and was the basis of the 1993 movie, Gettysburg.

brownshoe

Contributor
For anyone else that feels like geeking out on the Civil War, (or the War of Northern Aggression, as they still call it in some parts of Va...), Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals as well as The Last Full Measure. His Father, Michael Shaara wrote The Killer Angels around 40 years ago and was the basis of the 1993 movie, Gettysburg.

Casey, you need to take a peek around Frederick. Lot’s of great stuff to see! MT. Olivet Cemetery is chocked full of civil war graves, and other interesting things.

Steve

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I definately need to explore that whole Frederick-Hagerstown-Emmitsburg corridor on the way up to G-burg. I heard Harper's Ferry is worth a trip as well.

brownshoe

Contributor
I definately need to explore that whole Frederick-Hagerstown-Emmitsburg corridor on the way up to G-burg. I heard Harper's Ferry is worth a trip as well.

Yep! Been there and done it! Walk the RR bridges, really neat.

Steve

schwarti

Contributor
Going farther back - Decisive Day, by Richard Ketcham. Fantastic book on the Battle of Bunker Hill. Ketcham does a great job of describing the run-up to the battle, the event, and the consequences. Not only that, but it reads like a novel! Definite recommend for anyone interested in the Revolution or American history.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My Books

So my favorite war books are by Stephen Ambrose (can't believe I made it to page 4 without him being referenced)
D-Day
Citizen Soldiers

and I am currently engrossed in
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman

and my personal favorite:

books

About my personal Hero. (one of them)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^I for one, happen to think that this country needs more Patton, and less patent leather.

UVaMarine

pilot
Contributor
1. "Road to Gold" by Lt. Commander. William H. LaBarge. Written in 1993, kind of old but has some good stuff about Navy OCS, to API, all the way to winging.
2. "A Table in the Presence" by Lt. Carey H. Cash. It's written by a Navy Chaplain and takes place during OIF. It's how a Marine Battalion experienced God's presence during the war.

Both are an EXTREMELY good read...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A couple of my favorite bios/autobios--

"Boyd-the Fighter Pilot who Changed the Art of War," about Col John Boyd, who invented the "OODA" loop. An incredibly interesting read about a brilliant, thought eccentric officer.

And about a very different colonel,"About Face," and "Steel my Soldiers' Hearts" by David Hackworth. The autobiographical accounts of another crazy-ass mofo.

Almost forgot,"A Rumor of War," by Phillip Caputo. A great autobiographical account of a Marine platoon commander in Vietnam. Somewhat anti-war, but very gripping.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
More recommended reading.

NORTH SAR by Gerry Carroll - Great book about Combat SAR H-3 pilots in the Viet Nam War. Also highly recommend Ghostrider ONE by Carroll as well, this is a story about A-4 pilots early in the Viet Nam War. Carroll writes as someone who has been there and uses great humor and sarcasm to get his point across. All JO's should read one of these books!

FALL FROM GLORY: The Men Who Sank the US Navy by Gregory Vistaca - Very detailed account of what happened to the "600 Ship Navy" under SECNAV John Lehman and how Navy leadership was lying to itself!

100 Years of Sea Power: The US Navy. 1890-1990 by George Baer. This book breaks down some of the critical decisions that have resulted in determining how a modern navy is designed and used. Very good discourse on the political considerations required for building and maintaining a modern Navy.

The Influence of Sea Power Upon History - A. T. Mahan - This book is the reason we still have a Naval War College. Very dry reading and it's a bit outdated, but Mahan demonstrates that those who control the sea can control the world.

lmnop

A few more:

Imperial Grunts, Robert Kaplan
The Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power, Max Boot
The War of The Flea: The Classic Study of Guerrilla Warfare, Robert Taber