• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Relax Damn!t!!!!

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I said people may not agree with me because you hear people saying stuff like "there has to be no doubt in your mind that you will do well on a flight." That kind of self-delusion didn't work for me. I had to confront the worst case possibility in my mind so that I could stop fearing failure. Kind of like achieving clarity by hitting rock bottom.

BrittO

pilot
Techniques

OK, well I completed primary back in March and am currently in Meridian for T-45s. In my humble opinion, I have noticed that indeed every instructor will have a technique they like to show and some will think that it is the only way to do things. Naturally, if you have been taught something and have developed a certain way of doing something and an IP tells you that everything that you are doing is wrong an you are screwed up then stress will certainly result.
Here in Meridian, there is one particualr sim instructor (D)...all studs and most Ips know the person. This sim guy epitomises what I just said and will literally deafen you in the sim with his cursing and vulgarities! Saying that, and yes finally getting to my point, he as well as others will listen in the pre brief. I still stress a little before important flights but I always go through all items in the flight with the IP in detail so that we are on the same page and any techniques can be briefed. If he likes it in the brief, great, if not thats the opportunity to ask that particular IPs method. This even worked for mr D....(I had to do it his way but i knew that BEFORE the event, and saved my ear drums and grades as a result).
good luck..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OK, well I completed primary back in March and am currently in Meridian for T-45s. In my humble opinion, I have noticed that indeed every instructor will have a technique they like to show and some will think that it is the only way to do things. Naturally, if you have been taught something and have developed a certain way of doing something and an IP tells you that everything that you are doing is wrong an you are screwed up then stress will certainly result.
Here in Meridian, there is one particualr sim instructor (D)...all studs and most Ips know the person. This sim guy epitomises what I just said and will literally deafen you in the sim with his cursing and vulgarities! Saying that, and yes finally getting to my point, he as well as others will listen in the pre brief. I still stress a little before important flights but I always go through all items in the flight with the IP in detail so that we are on the same page and any techniques can be briefed. If he likes it in the brief, great, if not thats the opportunity to ask that particular IPs method. This even worked for mr D....(I had to do it his way but i knew that BEFORE the event, and saved my ear drums and grades as a result).
good luck..

Unfortunately this is true w/ certain IPs (and tends to be more so w/ sim IPs). However, here's something that ALL of you students can do that will help:

HIT THEM ON IT IN THE CRITIQUE!!!

That's why it's there. Actually put down names. Nothing will get fixed or better if you don't put specifics down. You can still be professional (hint hint) but if you put down details on why you think something wasn't "right" w/ the event, then definitely make note of it and put it in your critique.

pdx

HSM Pilot
HIT THEM ON IT IN THE CRITIQUE!!!

That's why it's there.

Believe it or not, critiques do something. About 2 weeks after I put in my RI sim critique, I actually got a call from one of the head sim instructors. He thanked me for putting down specific objective information with examples. He also said the problem would be "taken care of." Nothing happened to the sim instructor, but I believe he did get a talking to.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Hyperventilating? Try oxygen! It has a calming effect. So do a cheesburger and Big Gulp, which will barely fit in the map case.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Buy a new gun; it will make you feel better. I am not sure I am helping you out with your cockpit issues but all the really good stuff has been said already.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
One of the things most people are missing from their chairflying is the randomness of other people throwing random situations at you. This did not become readily apparent to me until I got to Kingsville. You need that extra person to throw in the random, "Uh oh, you just hit a bird in the pattern, what do you do now?" It forces you to think on the spot, because you didn't expect it. It also teaches you new things that you should be thinking about while flying particular phases of the flight (that whole concept of being 10 miles ahead of the jet). I'm telling you, it's a lot harder to react when it's random, but it will teach you to think on your feet, and once you get good at it, you will be a lot more confident in the plane.

One of the things that helps me out the most when I fly now is always asking myself , "what if?" Where is the nearest divert? Where would I go if I hit a bird RIGHT NOW, if I got an Oil Pressure light, or a fire light. Constantly be developing a plan, that way when it happens, you don't have to think, you can just react. (obviously no fast hands in the cockpit, you don't want to inadvertantly turn a small emergency into a big emergency) Not to mention it develops good habit patterns of being ahead of the plane, especially when you're flying lead for someone else. Good luck, man, you'll do fine.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the things that helps me out the most when I fly now is always asking myself , "what if?" Where is the nearest divert? Where would I go if I hit a bird RIGHT NOW, if I got an Oil Pressure light, or a fire light. Constantly be developing a plan, that way when it happens, you don't have to think, you can just react. (obviously no fast hands in the cockpit, you don't want to inadvertantly turn a small emergency into a big emergency) Not to mention it develops good habit patterns of being ahead of the plane, especially when you're flying lead for someone else. Good luck, man, you'll do fine.

Well said. It's probably fair to say every pilot should be doing this all the time. You don't have to have OCD about it, but always evaluate the situation for a plan.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My difficulty gets compounded flight after flight as instructors have their different conflicting techniques, that I have to meld together. Sometimes I think that my prevous flights taint the current one and the flight becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Wow...sounds like my exact thought stream tonight after my sim...:icon_rage

I know he was trying to help but man...its frustrating when ding after ding on basic procedures keep popping up because the IP didn't like the speed at which you retard the throttle for a pre-flight check etc...Especially when your still trying to figure out what the hell you are doing in the cockpit.

Woooosaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!