• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Relationship Issues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I was married with a 2-year-old daughter when I went into OCS. Thanks to a broken foot, that turned into a 6 month stay away from home. I was married through flight school and am still happily married today (though my daughter is now 5). I also had a lot of friends that were married and had kids.

The point is, it can be done. If you wait around for a convenient time to get married, it isn't going to come. Marriage, by definition, is never convenient. Much less so in the military. You're trying to take two completely different lives and turn them into one. It's tough. There are times when the strain is awesome and you wonder how you're going to do it. Whether or not the time is right for you is something only you know. I don't agree at all with the ones on here that say to refer to her as your "future-ex". Maybe it was like that for them, but that doesn't make it a universal truth. If that's your attitude, you're likely to wake up one day and realize that you're that creepy middle-aged guy still hanging out in college bars trying to hit on girls young enough to be your daughters and reliving glory days that happened when the other bar patrons were in diapers.

Some advice, though:

Make sure that she knows what she's getting into. You are about to embark on a very long and stressful time in your life. You won't always be there for her. Like SuperStallion said, if she's at all clingy or requires constant attention, it will make for an extremely painful time.

Also (and this is just me) make sure that she can take care of herself. I don't just mean not being clingy. Eventually you may have kids. What we do is inherently dangerous (as I was sharply reminded of yesterday). You don't want to marry someone with 20 hours of community college and no useful skills. If something happens to you, you want to know that she can continue to live and support your kids, if applicable. Sure SGLI is a lot of money, but it's amazing how fast someone can burn through that much money if they're not careful. Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Finally, she has to be willing to accept the fact that your schedule is never predictable. During flight school you won't know until the evening what time you'll have to go in the next day. Later on, it only gets worse. One of the squadrons that shares a flight-line with us was supposed to deploy this summer. They found out a few weeks ago that they were deploying sooner. They left last week for a 6-9 (they don't know exactly) month deployment. Again, if she doesn't think that she can handle that or if you don't think she can then you should maybe go your seperate ways. As I said before, I have a lot of friends it has worked out for, but I also know from many others that having an unsupportive spouse WILL make your life in the military unbearable.

0621girl

My DH just went into OCS and we have been married 5 yrs and have four kids. I know many wont agree, but I really take console in the fact that 1. We didnt get married when he was too young. 99% of the couples I see get into trouble are minors. :D 2. That he did have 4 years enlisted before we met to "get it out of system". And he certainly did!!! lol. He experienced everything that he could, and so once we met and settled down, he wanst interested in being a drunk whore anymore. Because he already had been. Its got to be hard on these young guys when they are the only one married, and on port call in Australia all his friends are having the time of their lives and he has to go back to the boat to write to his wife.......

But certainly of course thousands of relationships work out all the time. Your girl just has to know what she is getting into. Or at least try to understand, because that is the NUMBER ONE reason women leave MM's.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My DH just went into OCS and we have been married 5 yrs and have four kids. I know many wont agree, but I really take console in the fact that 1. We didnt get married when he was too young. 99% of the couples I see get into trouble are minors. :D 2. That he did have 4 years enlisted before we met to "get it out of system". And he certainly did!!! lol. He experienced everything that he could, and so once we met and settled down, he wanst interested in being a drunk whore anymore. Because he already had been. Its got to be hard on these young guys when they are the only one married, and on port call in Australia all his friends are having the time of their lives and he has to go back to the boat to write to his wife.......

But certainly of course thousands of relationships work out all the time. Your girl just has to know what she is getting into. Or at least try to understand, because that is the NUMBER ONE reason women leave MM's.

Your Deartment Head? :confused:

Brett

I agree about the whole "get it out of your system"....for both sides of the party, and the age thing, and I know everyone is different and maybe never looks back, but I (we) both probably needed that time :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There's a lot of chit-chat on this thread about the Navy, the Marines, the service, deployments, etc, and how they impact on a "relationship" (?) and/or a marriage -- with the focus seemingly on the negative aspects, for the sake of discussion.

BUT: News Flash !!! The Navy won't "make or break" any relationship --- at least not a "good" one. Just take a glance at the "civilian" divorce statistics for confirmation. Blaming the Service is a cop-out and and excuse for breaking up or divorce and the FAILURES OF BOTH PARTIES .... remember, only YOU can do that -- end a marriage/relationship, that is ... NOT UNCLE. It's either WORTH it ... or it's NOT ... and it has never been any different. Good marriages (O.K. ... and "relationships", too
:)) will survive the hardships and separation ... the bad ones won't.

I got married in my senior year of college for all the WRONG reasons --- I was pregnant --- and I was married for 29 years thereafter (on paper -- 24 of them spent under the same roof), while all the while living and breathing in a silent scream for much of the 24 years .... but I digress -- and this ain't about me.

The Navy and the airlines had NOTHING to do with the marriage crashing and burning at long last after years of being locked in a tortuous death spiral .... in fact, my many absences sometimes made the heart grow ... fonder (?) shall we say ... well, at least easier to please, in some ways. It worked that way for both of us ... so the deployments and separations were not a problem.

What ended it??? My wife was obviously as unhappy with me as I was with her.

Sooooooo .... My wife left me for a guy named Jesus. :eek:

But I believe in fate; I believe that things always happen for a reason --- even when I don't always understand the reason. In the end, I met my "dream girl" and I am now living happily ever after ... things usually work out.

But YOU are responsible, certainly not UNCLE.
That's just a convenient excuse ....

Live your life and live it for each other. maybe I should just keep my mouth shut(?). :sleep_125

MasterBates

2000 a month???? Do you all have kids????

No, she does not work, and the "Military Spouses Protection Act" gives her 1/3 of (Base Pay + BAH). Which for me is about $1940/mo, until it is finalized.

Needless to say, she is neither in a rush to get a job, or get this over with.

Oh yeah, that is pre-tax, so she gets about 45% of my take home pay, and that is before her lawyer is paid.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sooooooo .... My wife left me for a guy named Jesus. :eek:

Did he look like this:
jesus.jpg

Brett

Carno

Insane
No, she does not work, and the "Military Spouses Protection Act" gives her 1/3 of (Base Pay + BAH). Which for me is about $1940/mo, until it is finalized.

Needless to say, she is neither in a rush to get a job, or get this over with.

Oh yeah, that is pre-tax, so she gets about 45% of my take home pay, and that is before her lawyer is paid.

You know, in another thread Brett made an excellent post about drifters and dumping bodies or something.....

Just sayin.

Tombstone

Just to let all you SOB's I am a DUDE, and my girlfriend is fuckin smokin! She is freakin awesome and in my profile that is me in front on the hornet. So lets get pass all the shit about me being a female! Now that that crap is out of the way. I appreciate all of your replies to my question. I am really not sure what I want to do but I guess I will just see how it goes because she knew I was going to do this well before we got serious. So just if you all have anything else to say that can help with this decision please write back. By the way I am not mad about the calling me a female shit I think it is funny because believe me it is not like I haven't heard it before.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to let all you SOB's I am a DUDE, and my girlfriend is fuckin smokin! She is freakin awesome and in my profile that is me in front on the hornet. So lets get pass all the shit about me being a female! Now that that crap is out of the way. I appreciate all of your replies to my question. I am really not sure what I want to do but I guess I will just see how it goes because she knew I was going to do this well before we got serious. So just if you all have anything else to say that can help with this decision please write back. By the way I am not mad about the calling me a female shit I think it is funny because believe me it is not like I haven't heard it before.

Redeemed! ;) Anyway, this is just a small taste of the grief you'll get in the fleet if people find out you were a cheerleader. I'd cover it up as best you can. :D

Brett

Tombstone

A4SForever thanks alot for your reply, I think that was something I really needed to hear. So it can work you just have to work real hard to make it work. Thanks again.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Holy uncensored post batman! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.