• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Relationship Between Pilot and NFO

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Nothing awkward about it at all. If anything, I'd say I kind of enjoy flying with senior folk. The jet is a weird place where you just are honest about life and talk freely. My favorite backseater on my last deployment was my skipper. I think we may have solved all the worlds problems at 15k overhead mom in the 5W. Command of the airplane isn't really an issue. You are a crew, you make decisions together, regardless of rank/experience/hours.

To your second question, just ask the growler community if they need a second seat. Spoiler alert, they do.

Your third question is more difficult to answer. But a good F crew is better than a good E pilot. My friends from my single seat past life (9 years of my active career mind you) will make fun of me for eternity for saying that, but they haven't seen that it is true.

Single seat me makes fun of you, but that doesn’t mean you’re wrong. I’ve seen the safety and execution value of having two people in the cockpit well beyond the VFA community.

Makes all this airline hoopla about going down to one pilot all the more disheartening. I’ve gotten to where I actually appreciate having someone to hold me accountable- even when nothing is amiss. What happens when one pilot has a bad day, makes an automation mistake, or gets tired? What are the long-term implications of spending that much time isolated in the cockpit?