• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

BONE77

Got the reject notice today. I'm going to try again. I talked to a new recruiter today and he told me that flight time means nothing. I know I know, different stories. He said the thing that will get you a slot is your ASTB score. He also said that the navy took back a lot of its pilots and NFO's that got out prior to Sept. 11th and got furloughed. That is why the slots are so dry. I was also not given a reason for rejection. Who knows? All I can do now is get a killer score on the ASTB. If you have a perfect score on that, it seems, all you have to do is write your name and ssn on a napkin and you'll be an SNA. That is what I learned from this. If you want in, don't spend $20,000 on flight training, just $400 on a tutor. That is my plan. Anyway good luck to those who made it, and those trying again. It ain't the end of the world.
Take Care everybody,
BONE

aslam

Sorry to hear that Bone. Definitely give it another shot if this is what you want to do.

As far as your analysis goes: Maybe there is some truth (?) All I know is that I scored quite well on the ASTB and did not have stellar recommendations or any flight hours. On the other hand, I have done really well academically. I have two engineering degrees (B.S. & M.S.) and my PRT scores were above average I would say, though not stellar.

ASLAM.

psrogers

Intel Officer
My sincere regards for your disappointing results.

In addition to what Aslam (the Jesus figure from C.S.Lewis books?) and you have written, here is some more gossip from talking to my my recruiter last week. I say gossip because we all seem to hear different things from our recruiters, but mine has been really good so far and I trust him (he is a LT Commander, past enlistee and NFO).

He said that for SNA slots, a really good run time is very important, and for Intel slots, extracurricular activities are important. He told me that a 4.0 math major was turned down for intel because he had no extracurriculars. Meanwhile, very fast run times seem to be some kind of indicator of the right stuff for pilots, I guess,- mind you I have no personal knowledge or experience in aviation- since I don't know why aerobic fitness and athleticism are to be given extra weight in the application process. Hopefully this helps some of you potential SNA's (or reapplicants), again it's just my recruiter talking.

FlyGirl

Psrogers...I would disagree with your analysis/gossip of the run time. Mine wasn't that great, but my ASTB scores were, my recommendations were excellent, my GPA was above average, and I had LOTS of extra curricular activites. I had no fly time when I applied. (After I knew I was accepted, that's when I decided to spend the time and money for my private) But then again, I'm a female so I'm not sure if that was also in the decision process....

Honestly, I think they are looking at the whole package of the person and base their selection off of the current pool of applicants. (Kinda like getting selected for scholarships or college -- you might have many qualified people and so somewhere you have to draw the line in that particular pool. The line might be different with another pool of applicants.) Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. It's just a theory....

There are no rules, just follow your heart. - Robin Williams

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

Just adding my 2 cents. I agree with the "whole package" concept. And as far as the flight hours, from information that I've gathered from my recruiter, they do help a lot. He said one way hours help the most is that it shows that you are and will be somewhat comfortable in an airplane enviornment. Chances are you won't be dropped out of the program and intern waste the NAVY's time and resources because you get air sick or find out that you don't like small spaces, etc. etc.

Peace,

-Spin

psrogers

Intel Officer
Okay [8D]. I don't know but what the recruiter says, and what you say makes sense too. Keep in mind though that the application process has just changed as of the last month, and standards are constantly changing.

Goose

SNA Meridian
Alright..it is good to hear all the different gossip on here so I will add mine in. I believe flight time saved my A** in the application process. My GPA was good, ASTB good, but I din't prepare for the PRT and was told to only get 50 50 and under 1330 run. So that is about what I did. I agree with spin, they are looking at a whole package concept. If someone writes in their statement as to why they want to be an officer that they have a burning desire to be a pilot and have 0 flight time, it probably seems a little weird to the board. If you really wanted it why haven't you started at all? Who knows though...spots are pretty thin these days.

Drive Fast Take Chances

ghost_ttu

Well I finally heard, and I was rejected again. This guy has been pretty straight shot, and he told me that they have pretty much shut the program down. There are 15 slots left and they are for collegiates (not sure what he means by that). But basically he said they are not accepting aviation applications until May.

<<Tali264 speaking to Ghost_ttu: "Yes Daddy">>

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

bart27

Sorry to hear ghost, but if they aren't accepting aviation apps until May...then I am screwed and so are others. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

gsavy10

Get yourself a bottle of Jack and drown your sorrows away. That's what I did. It sucks. I really thought that you made it because of how long your package was at Millington.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Sorry to hear that Ghost. I guess maybe he meant BDCP? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do next, and keep your chin up - third time was a charm for me!

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

ghost_ttu

Well it will depend on when my field training gets scheduled for this summer. I will plan on crossing into the blue via AFROTC and do 2 years of Grad school. If I get a later date this summer I might attempt one more shot at the Navy if they start accepting apps in May. One way or the other I'll be playing on the team. Let's just hope that my ROTC gamble pays off.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

tali264

sorry about that Ghost, we were all chearing for you. But believe in yourself and know that one way or another, it'll happen for you.

spidrwmn

Sorry about the rejection Ghost! Did your recruiter happen to mention whether that included NFO or just pilot?

- Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.