• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

? regarding recruiter & PLC

JGrim85

Hello,

I will be entering my junior year of college, this fall semester (2006). I want to attend the PLC next summer (2007) on an air contract. I must admit I did not apply myself the way I should have during my first two years and currently have a 2.5 GPA. I talked to a local recruiter who said that they probably wouldn't even let me apply due to my GPA. I then asked him if I applied myself this coming semester and pulled my grades up, could I apply in December. He said "no" because all of the PLC slots would be taken by then. The recruiter then told me that my only chance would be to wait and apply for the OCC after I graduate. He proceeded to tell that the OCC was very competitive and that I would have a much better chance if I had "previous leadership training." He tried to get me to enlist in the Marine Corps reserves, telling me that he only had a couple enlisted reserve positions available and that they would be going fast.

My questions are what do you all think of the information the recruiter gave to me? Will I not be allowed to apply with a 2.5 GPA? Are all the PLC slots for a particular summer, usually taken up by the preceding December? And finally what do you think of his advice to give up on the PLC and enlist in the reserves, in order to have a better chance at getting selected for the OCC? I would appreciate any and all help/advice.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I got in with about the same GPA. A lot of it is timing. When I contacted my OSO in Sept., he was wide open, and very excited to let me in when I kicked the ASTB's arse and ran a 280 PFT. I don't remember there being a bottom end for GPA requirements, except for financial aid purposes. It sounds like this dude has no problem filling quotas, so he's weeding guys out. You could always try getting in through another district or a NROTC program, if that's convenient for you. Enlisting probably won't increase your chances of becoming an officer, but would be good experience for you.
Remember, being a junior, you still have almost 2 years to get in. If you do OCS after you graduate college, you can get commissioned 5 minutes after OCS graduation, and then wait 6 months for TBS. The clock ticks slowly for you.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
my package got submitted early march this year. I went to OCS in june. Granted there werent many slots left, and i'm sure it differes class to class, but it is possible to get in "late".

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Hello,

I will be entering my junior year of college, this fall semester (2006). I want to attend the PLC next summer (2007) on an air contract. I must admit I did not apply myself the way I should have during my first two years and currently have a 2.5 GPA. I talked to a local recruiter who said that they probably wouldn't even let me apply due to my GPA. I then asked him if I applied myself this coming semester and pulled my grades up, could I apply in December. He said "no" because all of the PLC slots would be taken by then. The recruiter then told me that my only chance would be to wait and apply for the OCC after I graduate. He proceeded to tell that the OCC was very competitive and that I would have a much better chance if I had "previous leadership training." He tried to get me to enlist in the Marine Corps reserves, telling me that he only had a couple enlisted reserve positions available and that they would be going fast.

My questions are what do you all think of the information the recruiter gave to me? Will I not be allowed to apply with a 2.5 GPA? Are all the PLC slots for a particular summer, usually taken up by the preceding December? And finally what do you think of his advice to give up on the PLC and enlist in the reserves, in order to have a better chance at getting selected for the OCC? I would appreciate any and all help/advice.

It sounds like to me you are talking to an enlisted recruiter if he is talking about enlisted reserve slots, etc. You need to talk to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO), go to www.marines.com to search for the closet one. I doubt an enlisted recruiter would know much about PLC. I applied in January or February and my GPA wasn't much better than yours and I got selected for SNA. IF YOU WANT TO BE AN OFFICER, DO NOT ENLIST! IT WILL ONLY COMPLICATE THINGS IF YOUR GOAL IS TO BECOME AN OFFICER AND A PILOT.

JGrim85

I appreciate everyone’s incite so far. A while ago I went to Marines.com and requested information about becoming a Marine Officer. I received a generic email in reply which stated I needed to contact my local OSO. That’s literally all the information it gave me. It didn’t instruct me how to get in touch with the OSO so that’s when I contacted my local Marine recruiter. I thought the Sergeant could get me in touch with the OSO. The Sergeant has told me that all potential officer candidates must be screened by him before they are sent onto the OSO.

My questions; am I allowed to go over the Sergeant’s head, straight to the OSO? If the Sergeant feels that I'm not qualified, then is that the end of my chances for PLC? If I am allowed to go straight to my OSO how do I get in touch with him or her? Some people have mentioned using Marines.com to locate my local OSO but I can't seem to find the specific contact information I need. Someone also mentioned that I could try other districts where they might have harder times filling their quotas. Again the same predicament, how do I track down those areas OSO’s?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I thought the Sergeant could get me in touch with the OSO. The Sergeant has told me that all potential officer candidates must be screened by him before they are sent onto the OSO.

My questions; am I allowed to go over the Sergeant’s head, straight to the OSO?

I don't want to say that the Sergeant is BS'ing you, perhaps they do things differently in your district. But, my OSO came directly to our campus. I've never dealt with the enlisted side recruiting since I joined the pool, so I don't think such a policy is service-wide.

I don't know why he'd tell you that for no reason. Perhaps that is their procedure? I don't see any harm in contacting the OSO, however.

Carno

Insane
Don't talk to the enlisted recruiter, go straight to the OSO.

He's only trying to get you to enlist. If you want to be an officer, you don't need to talk to the enlisted side at all.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Don't talk to the enlisted recruiter, go straight to the OSO.

He's only trying to get you to enlist. If you want to be an officer, you don't need to talk to the enlisted side at all.

Yeah, that thought just occured to me. "Sure, I'll send your app straight in to the OSO...just sign here for me, ok?"

Hey, just went to the Salem OSO last week--great guy, good info, infantry LT but hooked me up with a Marine lawyer's # to ask questions...Give him a call.

JGrim85

I recently got in touch with the local OSO and have begun the application process. You all were absolutely right, nothing the enlisted recruiter told me lined up with what my OSO is telling me now.

I have an appointment to meet with my OSO for the first time tomorrow. I am planning on wearing a suit to the meeting. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how to make a positive first impression? Thank you all for your help.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
get a hair cut a good shave and look him in the eye when you talk and have a firm handshake

KBayDog

Answer his questions with, "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir" - not "Yeah" and "Nah."

(No, I do not mean stand at attention, "sound off," etc. Just conduct yourself as you would at any professional interview.)

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Good luck with that! The fact that you want to make a good first impression probably goes a long way, I would guess. They'll know you're not just on a joyride.

If you think you can wrangle it, see if you can get a sample ASTB and start studying it. My OSO handed me one with the application, yours might also. It'll help loads.

Once you get the ball rolling, it definitely helps to get everything done as early as possible. Some things have time limits on them, so if you have to do something more than once (like the ASTB) it's definitely better to have breathing room.

If you have any questions about anything pre-OCS, let me know. I've done all of it...that I know of. ;)

GtRichrFlyTryin

i dont know if I'd wear a suit...when we showed up for OCS they told us "DO NOT WEAR A SUIT" just wear a nice polo shirt and a clean pair of khakis with some nice dress shoes and a BELT...skidkid is exactly right, have a firm handshake and be confident about yourself! Prove to him that you WANT to be there just by your actions