• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recuiters Forced to Leave UC Santa Cruz

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
It's amazing to me that people will throw rocks at the ones who preserve their right to express their own opinion about such issues, no matter how childish.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Steve Wilkins said:
I think they are actually anit-war, so the military recruiter is a prime target for their wrath. What they fail to understand is that a vast majority of us in the military are far more anti-war than they are.

Gotcha. To me the whole protest thing is ridiculous. Stand there and picket all you want, but forcefully preventing them from recruiting on campus? What if there was a student group against Japanese products and they drove the SONY and Toyota recruiters out of the fair and threw a rock at them? How would that be viewed in the media? Would it be a "victory" if those comapanies didn't come back in the fall? Why am I ending all my sentences with a question mark?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Gotcha. To me the whole protest thing is ridiculous. Stand there and picket all you want, but forcefully preventing them from recruiting on campus? What if there was a student group against Japanese products and they drove the SONY and Toyota recruiters out of the fair and threw a rock at them? How would that be viewed in the media? Would it be a "victory" if those comapanies didn't come back in the fall? Why am I ending all my sentences with a question mark?
You make a very good point. It's times like this that make me with I was a recruiter. I wouldn't put up with sh!t like this. Of course, I might find myself as an E-5 again too, but oh well.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
You make a very good point. It's times like this that make me with I was a recruiter. I wouldn't put up with sh!t like this. Of course, I might find myself as an E-5 again too, but oh well.
What would you do?

They'd love to have a recruiter shoot off their mouth or hit someone. While I'm sure it'd be damn satisfying, they'd replay it a billion times on TV/the internet and then take you and the Navy to court.

RootinTootin

The rain probably accounted for a decidedly smaller turnout -- about 100 students compared with about 300 a year earlier.

They believe so strongly in preventing death, but the fear of getting wet is enough to break their resolve. Impressive group.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Chubby said:
Anyone else see the irony of protestors getting violent at an anti-war protest?
No. They're hypocrites. This is nothing new.

Ever wonder why the Nat'l Guard opened up at Kent State? It wasn't because they thought the chants were just too damn catchy. Its because the peaceful protestors were throwing rocks and getting violent...

Lawman

None
pennst8 said:
No. They're hypocrites. This is nothing new.

Ever wonder why the Nat'l Guard opened up at Kent State? It wasn't because they thought the chants were just too damn catchy. Its because the peaceful protestors were throwing rocks and getting violent...

If only more people at this damn campus actually took the time to research what went on during the May 4th Riots.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Y'know, it's too bad the Santa Cruz cops didn't take a page out of the State College PD's playbook and break out the pepper spray. That woulda broken up the crowd real quick.

Lawman

None
Thisguy said:
Y'know, it's too bad the Santa Cruz cops didn't take a page out of the State College PD's playbook and break out the pepper spray. That woulda broken up the crowd real quick.

Read what they did at State a little better. You'll notice they moved the crowed to a parking lot before using OC aeresol and CO2 Balls. You never want to light OC off in doors believe me. OC is extreamly irritating not only to the people getting hit with it but anyone within the immidiate surrounding area. If they had even sprayed one protester with it in an inclosed area you'd immediately clear a 20 foot circle with effects felt out further then that dependent on how good the air circulation was and a persons specific vulnerability to airborn aggitants (asmatics especially). I showed my dad how effective that stuff is on your lungs when I first got it by spraying a squirt on the ground outside and having him stand about 15 feet back, within a minute we both were coughing while trying to talk. Not something you'd want to do at a job fair.

Now what the Santa Cruz Campus PD needs to do is pull their head out and manage the situation so that it doesnt get so out of hand. They want to be there fine, but if they grow violent, block entrances/exits, interfear directly with the recruiters or their property then pull them for disrupting/disturbing the peace and send them on their way with the fine. If they get uppety after that just take it further.

Chubby

Thisguy said:
I say they take a page out of the PCU playbook and pelt the b@stards with ground beef followed by a rager with George Clinton and the P-Funk. Just my $.02

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I posted a reply on the UCSC website:
"Nice to see that SAW supports freedom of speech and equal opportunity. What a bunch of hypocrites. Their actions only demonstrate that they have zero moral fiber. They are little different from the Nazis in their efforts to repress speech contrary to their party line – even using violence to reach their objectives. SAW and groups of their ilk are the people most dangerous to freedom of speech."

What a bunch of fools.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Lawman said:
Read what they did at State a little better. .

I was referring to the State College, PA police. Those guys break out the pepper spray on the Penn State students for fun.

Chubby said:
Anyone else see the irony of protestors getting violent at an anti-war protest?

It's like the parent smacking his kid while saying, "We don't hit".

Remember there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people. And these people usually don't know when to keep their mouths' shut.

TheFurr7198

i guess people forget the part about peaceably assemble, not just to protest. I mean if I remember right that part was in there to.......