• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

GreenLantern330

See, for the ADD waiver, I have to stop taking my medicine for a year and then the doctor has to evaluate me and my grades and say I'm ADD-free. I personally am hoping for the best on this one and think there's a good chance I'll perform just fine without my medicine. With that said, you think BDCP would still work for me? I just don't see how they would pay for someone when there's a chance that my doctor might not approve me after the year. I guess to me it just seems like a risk of lost money. Or is this something I should call the OR and ask? Because if the whole waiver process won't be a problem, then I'll definitely apply for BDCP.

GreenLantern330

Oh and about the recruiters near FSU. I thought being in a college town, especially since there's technically 3 colleges (FSU, FAMU, and some consider TCC), there'd be a Navy OR but all I've been able to find is a Marine OSO and Navy enlisted recruiter. I know FAMU has NROTC so maybe there's an OR just closer to their campus? I don't know, I'll have to check it out.

m26

Contributor
Well, how do you know about the ADD waiver if you haven't talked to a recruiter or been to MEPS yet?

At any rate, I did not mean that you should apply now if you need a waiver. First, you need to find out if your NRD does MEPS before or after seeing the boards (which means you'll have to talk to a recruiter). If it's afterwards you can apply in a few months and apply for your waiver on your 366th day off the meds. You could squeeze 8-14 months in the BDCP program, if my math is anywhere near right.

The alternative would be to wait until a few months before graduation and then apply to OCS. Obviously you won't get paid as you would with BDCP. Plus, if for some other reason you don't get medically qualified, you could find yourself stranded. By going the BDCP route you'll probably be tipped off early if you won't be allowed to go the military route. Worst case scenario, if medically qualified, is that you apply again for straight OCS like you were planning anyway.

You need to locate your recruiter and have this conversation with him/her. They'll be able to advise you on how to proceed, even if it is only to say that you should wait for a while.

GreenLantern330

I found out about the ADD waiver from reading about it in other threads on here and then also on campus there was a Marine OSO and I asked him about it and he said it was a service-wide policy so all branches have the same requirements.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
See, for the ADD waiver, I have to stop taking my medicine for a year and then the doctor has to evaluate me and my grades and say I'm ADD-free. I personally am hoping for the best on this one and think there's a good chance I'll perform just fine without my medicine. With that said, you think BDCP would still work for me? I just don't see how they would pay for someone when there's a chance that my doctor might not approve me after the year. I guess to me it just seems like a risk of lost money. Or is this something I should call the OR and ask? Because if the whole waiver process won't be a problem, then I'll definitely apply for BDCP.

It can't hurt to ask! BDCP is definitely worth trying for. If I had known about it back when there was still time to apply for it, I would've jumped on that in a second.

Good luck.

A

AlexSmart

I only live 45 minutes away from NRD Seattle, but I have still done most of my application through email with my recruiter. Most of the big forms (including the actual application for commission) have simple fields to fill in and are pretty user-friendly. The paperwork side of the application process will go really smoothly as long as you listen to the directions of your recruiter on how to answer questions.

GreenLantern330

Thanks for all the input guys! I've been trying to get in contact with NRD Jax to ask what I should do but haven't gotten through to them yet. I really appreciate all the info you guys have given me.

GreenLantern330

Navy needs to update their site. It said there were no ORs in Tallahassee. I went to the enlisted recruiter today by my campus to find out that Tallahassee has 2 ORs.....what a ridiculous website.

aheller

My recruiter is a real nice guy and we've been working on my package for quite some time. He is very busy but always picks up my calls and answers my questions. Now after many months I finally got my package submitted March 23rd and he said the April review board would meet and I would hear back by the end of April. I've been waiting with bated breath all month and now May 5th I called and he said "still nothing maybe we'll hear something by the end of this month." My question is how long should it normally take to find out if one has been accepted or not? And is a more lengthy time a bad sign or just how it normally goes? He is very busy so is it my responsibility to call him everyday to find out or will he normally call as soon as he finds out? It just seems 2 months is quite a long time.
Any insight would be a great appreciation. I really just need to know what to tell my family and friends because they keep asking.

m26

Contributor
They will call once they found out. My boards met on 17 Nov and I didn't hear back until 5 Dec or so. I don't recall exactly, but it was a decent ways into Dec. I know I recently looked at the April thread and they found out well before the end of April. I called once a week, but I eventually just gave up and let them call when they had the info. They'll take care of you. If they're any good, they check every day and call once they have results. They know how anxious applicants get.

jlil41

My recruiter is a real nice guy and we've been working on my package for quite some time. He is very busy but always picks up my calls and answers my questions. Now after many months I finally got my package submitted March 23rd and he said the April review board would meet and I would hear back by the end of April. I've been waiting with bated breath all month and now May 5th I called and he said "still nothing maybe we'll hear something by the end of this month." My question is how long should it normally take to find out if one has been accepted or not? And is a more lengthy time a bad sign or just how it normally goes? He is very busy so is it my responsibility to call him everyday to find out or will he normally call as soon as he finds out? It just seems 2 months is quite a long time.
Any insight would be a great appreciation. I really just need to know what to tell my family and friends because they keep asking.

Maybe you didn't make the cutoff date for the April boards and you are in for the May boards instead. I know you said you had it finished by the 23rd but it still might not have made the cutoff. Just a possibility.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days two months isn't such a long time. It seems to vary quite a bit. Back in my day when we were building a 600 ship navy to fight the Commies the board met every two weeks like clockwork. We are talking far fewer numbers now, to include smaller staffs at CNRC. By all means do not call your recruiter every day. I understand you are anxious. Surely he realizes that as well. He will call when he knows something. We never went more then 48 hours without notification. You can call him once every 6-10 days if you want to say hi and ask about board status. But when they hear about you, they will call asap. Good luck

tonio

Just a quick question. Currently deployed to Balad, Iraq but I am wanting to apply before coming back to the states. Would I work with the recruiting office back home? Or would this even be possible?

Also ASTB of 46 5 5 4, going for Intel or IW, 3.3gpa from Excelsior College in Liberal Studies and currently at Troy University for a Masters of Science in International Relations. Somewhere in the back of my mind I feel like I havent received a response because I am not competitive enough, but I know the process is one that considers the whole person, am I overreacting here?