• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

Lucy

46 is rather low. Some of the key downturns for Intel is is GPA is below a 3.0 and if ASTB is below 50. Generally, to even get "considered' piled at the board you need to have both scores over this, or a vast difference (GPA 2.5=ASTB 65, GPA 3.8=ASTB 50). Thats based on some number compiling I have done on the usnavyocs.com site. How are your grades in your MA? Those get counted into your GPA for the Navy also. Since you're active duty you would be working through your CoC. However, the fleet processor would be able to give soem guidence, that position just changed though, so it might take awhile to get ahold of whoever it is.

tonio

46 is rather low. Some of the key downturns for Intel is is GPA is below a 3.0 and if ASTB is below 50. Generally, to even get "considered' piled at the board you need to have both scores over this, or a vast difference (GPA 2.5=ASTB 65, GPA 3.8=ASTB 50). Thats based on some number compiling I have done on the usnavyocs.com site. How are your grades in your MA? Those get counted into your GPA for the Navy also. Since you're active duty you would be working through your CoC. However, the fleet processor would be able to give soem guidence, that position just changed though, so it might take awhile to get ahold of whoever it is.

Lucy, I appreciate your reply and your feedback, from December to February I will spend time studying to retake the ASTB as I feel my score is the weak point of my application. I guess I should have been descriptive in that I am in the Air Force Reserve, not active duty so the biggest thing is getting the DD 368 which I am working on at this point and time.

KEITH.MAX

Banned
Some operate heave machinery..They move these pallets and equipment around to be loaded..

SPAMMER from ISLAMABAD = BANNED

Giants2082

I just recently graduated from college, and I am very interested in becoming a Naval Aviator. However, my degree is not necessarily related to aviation (Media Production and New Technology major with a minor in Communication Studies), and my GPA upon graduation was a 2.9. However, my first two years of school were poor in terms of GPA, though there is a clear upward trend as I approached graduation. I do have civilian flight experience, and I participated in several extracurricular activities in school (i.e. Football and several on campus groups), will these help my chances at all in terms of possible selection. I have yet to speak to a recruiter, so these questions are simply an attempt for me to gauge where I stand at the moment. Lastly, I was wondering if I need to do anything to raise my GPA before I even consider applying. Also, because my major is unrelated, will that hurt my chances significantly in terms of being selected (assuming I achieve competitive scores on the ASTB)?

GreenLantern330

I just recently graduated from college, and I am very interested in becoming a Naval Aviator. However, my degree is not necessarily related to aviation (Media Production and New Technology major with a minor in Communication Studies), and my GPA upon graduation was a 2.9. However, my first two years of school were poor in terms of GPA, though there is a clear upward trend as I approached graduation. I do have civilian flight experience, and I participated in several extracurricular activities in school (i.e. Football and several on campus groups), will these help my chances at all in terms of possible selection. I have yet to speak to a recruiter, so these questions are simply an attempt for me to gauge where I stand at the moment. Lastly, I was wondering if I need to do anything to raise my GPA before I even consider applying. Also, because my major is unrelated, will that hurt my chances significantly in terms of being selected (assuming I achieve competitive scores on the ASTB)?

You have a 73.5% chance of getting selected.

Honestly, there's no way to answer that question. Use the search function, you'll notice that question never gets answered on this site. However, most people would answer by telling you the only way to not get selected is to not apply.

If you really wanna try to gauge 'what your chances are' try lurking the different selection boards threads and see the selectees' stats. That doesn't mean if you match their stats you'll get selected though. They look at ASTB scores, interviews, LORs, and the whole person concept. Just try to be as competitive as possible and with a little bit of luck, you could get selected. And if you REALLY want it, just simply keep applying until you get selected.

I'm sure most of your questions have already been asked and answered on this site, utilize the search function. It is a great tool and it is your friend, trust me!

And please, contact your recruiter as soon as possible!!

Giants2082

You have a 73.5% chance of getting selected.

Honestly, there's no way to answer that question. Use the search function, you'll notice that question never gets answered on this site. However, most people would answer by telling you the only way to not get selected is to not apply.

If you really wanna try to gauge 'what your chances are' try lurking the different selection boards threads and see the selectees' stats. That doesn't mean if you match their stats you'll get selected though. They look at ASTB scores, interviews, LORs, and the whole person concept. Just try to be as competitive as possible and with a little bit of luck, you could get selected. And if you REALLY want it, just simply keep applying until you get selected.

I'm sure most of your questions have already been asked and answered on this site, utilize the search function. It is a great tool and it is your friend, trust me!

And please, contact your recruiter as soon as possible!!

Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GPA may be low for a non tech major. Don't take the astb cold. Make sure you study for the astb and be very comfortable with basic physics, math and science. You will have to do well on the astb to prove you have the chops for some very technical training. Otherwise, what greenlantern said.

Funnage

So I haven't heard from my recruiter since July. He said to contact him by the end of July/start of August and... Well it's January. I've been calling on/off as well as emailing for the past 6 months and have been getting zero reply. Anyone have any idea on what to do? I feel like the psychotic ex-girlfriend who can't take the hint. The first recruiter I talked to ended up retiring and sent me to another person who went to training and now this recruiter is just never returning a reply. Part of me is looking for other options outside becoming a naval officer but I don't really want to give up on this.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
So I haven't heard from my recruiter since July. He said to contact him by the end of July/start of August and... Well it's January. I've been calling on/off as well as emailing for the past 6 months and have been getting zero reply. Anyone have any idea on what to do? I feel like the psychotic ex-girlfriend who can't take the hint. The first recruiter I talked to ended up retiring and sent me to another person who went to training and now this recruiter is just never returning a reply. Part of me is looking for other options outside becoming a naval officer but I don't really want to give up on this.

Did you ever think of driving to their office or is it too far away?

kurowashi9

Great post RocyMTN. I couldn't have said it better myself. I just posted within the intel blog last night and touched to point of we all run into the recruiter and processor situation where it seems that some do the old Potomac two step with your kit. I explained that yes, it is your career and that being "proactive" is a big part of it. I will say the same here as I did there. You do have your issues with some recruiters, and we all don't know their particular workload, jobs, or collaterals. But if the applying member would "educate" themselves on the process, naval instructions, and be proactive, your recruiter may not seem as bad to one as they might think. In speaking from 19 years of being in the Navy, to be honest, its all apart of the process. Expect rejection! expect to feel like you are not the best, or your recruiters number priority isn't you just because you thought you were. I speak to those even with the high GPAs and better looking kits off of the starting line. You to may get these feelings at some point also. If this happens continue to improve your package. Look for things to "break you out". Although highly regarded, high GPAs is not the all-be-all with a package. Remember there are more candidates than just you, and everyone is just as hungry. Your recruiter has to "prioritize" and pick the best candidates that seemingly have the most potential to be successful. They have a job to do to.

If I could offer anything it would be to stay proactive. You want to do this, so learn everything about the process to include checklists, reading about becoming an officer, naval instructions and guidlines in assembling a package and the like. Because truth be told if selected, you may be that recruiter one day who has to go through the same motions as some. Recruiting is a thankless job. And many don't get the credit they deserve for their hard work. I would advise that we all try to better educate ourselves on the entire process, not just get tunnel visioned on the individual just applying.

Communication is key! Establish lines of comm with your processor and recruiter. Get to know them. The are more apt to help you once you have established a healthy, respectful relationship. Be proactive! Its your career!...don't leave it in anyone else's hands but your own. Because at the end of the day, it boils down to you. For example, because I educated myself on the process, requirements, navy instructions, checklists etc...(plus I cheated with 19 years of enlisted service). I understood for the most part what the selection criteria for my particular community of application was and what the specifics of what the package entailed. By the time I sat with the recruiter to discuss options, I presented a package that was about 85% complete. A good recruiter will appreciate the initiative and correct things along the way. But time is a key factor. Be proactive, they will facilitate along the way. They are there for guidance, not to hold your hand and do your work for you.

Drew324

I'm new to this forum and not exactly sure how it works yet, so I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place. I'm a senior in college and just looking to get a few questions answered about applying for a commission in the US Navy. For a little background information, I'm 20 years old (21 next month), from Texas, and very interested in becoming a naval officer. I am double majoring, pursuing a BA Political Science and BA History, currently have a 3.59 GPA, and will graduate May 2012. I come from a family with some military history (both my grandfathers served in the Army, my uncle was a Marine and made Sergeant Major before he died, and my aunt is a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer) but there has never been a military officer in my family, so I don't know a whole lot about the process of commissioning. I have several questions and would be very grateful if anyone could answer them for me. I know this is a forum mainly for aviator hopefuls, but a classmate of mine who is in Air Force ROTC suggested I start here to try and get some answers.

I'm curious about what jobs I would qualify for in the Navy. For the longest time, I have wanted to go to law school and become a Navy JAG. But recently, I've begun to question whether law school is right for me and whether I would really enjoy being a lawyer. I took a class on the history of the US Navy last fall and it really got me interested in the life of line officers and what service is like in the actual fleet. I love the ocean, have been out on the sea many times, and have absolutely no problem living on ship. But although Surface Warfare really interests me, I've heard that becoming a SWO requires advanced calculus and physics. Being a Poli Sci/History major, I don't have any of that in my degree plan and I was wondering if this was a hard requirement or just something they prefer? Given my degree fields, I've been told that the Navy would probably push me towards Intel. Does anyone know if this is correct? Are there any other jobs that I would be able to do with these degrees or does the lack of hard sciences in my background limit my opportunity?

Also, I live in north Texas and have attempted to contact NRD Dallas several times to talk to an officer recruiter. Unfortunately, I've only gotten a couple of voicemails and my calls and emails have not been returned yet. Does it normally take a while to get in touch with a recruiter, and what is the best way to go about getting an interview to get my questions answered and start my application process?

Again, I would be very grateful to anyone who could answer any or all of these questions or could put me in touch with someone who can answer them. Thank you.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I'm curious about what jobs I would qualify for in the Navy. For the longest time, I have wanted to go to law school and become a Navy JAG. But recently, I've begun to question whether law school is right for me and whether I would really enjoy being a lawyer. I took a class on the history of the US Navy last fall and it really got me interested in the life of line officers and what service is like in the actual fleet. I love the ocean, have been out on the sea many times, and have absolutely no problem living on ship. But although Surface Warfare really interests me, I've heard that becoming a SWO requires advanced calculus and physics. Being a Poli Sci/History major, I don't have any of that in my degree plan and I was wondering if this was a hard requirement or just something they prefer? Given my degree fields, I've been told that the Navy would probably push me towards Intel. Does anyone know if this is correct? Are there any other jobs that I would be able to do with these degrees or does the lack of hard sciences in my background limit my opportunity?

To be honest nobody can truly tell you what jobs you would qualify for because you have yet to taken the ASTB. That being said your degree only matters for a couple of career fields such as CEC, Nuke, etc... So depending on the ASTB you would qualify for numerous opportunities. The Navy may mention Intel to you but ultimately it is your choice. If you want to be pushed that way so be it. Otherwise, the Navy isn't really going to push you one direction or the other. You need to know what you want to do and just apply for those jobs.

You can search around this website as it has a bunch of great information. But you should also check this out as it will give you an idea of what is required for each job. It may be a little out of date but it is a pretty good indicator.
http://nyusn.blogspot.com/p/programs-available-and-requirements.html

The site above has a bunch of good information as well that will be able to assist you along the way. Also check out www.usnavyocs.com. There is a bunch of information there as well.

Also, I live in north Texas and have attempted to contact NRD Dallas several times to talk to an officer recruiter. Unfortunately, I've only gotten a couple of voicemails and my calls and emails have not been returned yet. Does it normally take a while to get in touch with a recruiter, and what is the best way to go about getting an interview to get my questions answered and start my application process?

Recruiters are pretty busy. How long have you been waiting?

On a final note. Being that you are new to this site I'm going to give you some quick words of advice. We ask that you use the search function here before asking questions. Many of your questions have probably been answered here as this site has been around for many years now. We also ask that you use proper internet etiquette. Many of the members here are active, retired, or prior officers so please conduct yourself accordingly. Finally, Welcome aboard!

X

xxxCharliexxx

Drew,

I lived in Dallas when I started the process as well. I was ill-impressed by that office and after a long battle, I ended up changing recruiters to one in Oklahoma instead. You can call as many offices as you want, but do give them a day or two to respond to your phone call if you leave a message.

-Charlie