• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh I've been doing my homework Mr. Otto, I guess I just went down all the wrong channels. I used search but didn't know to search for NRD; I figured everyone just called the number on navy.com. I try hard not to be the guy who needs spoonfeeding >_<

I did what you said Wink and the person I spoke with said I called the right number. I told him all my paperwork is ready to go, so now I'm just waiting for the Lieutenant to call me back!

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for their help :)

Excellent! I'd give him 3-5 days to call back, then call again. Sounds like you will get the ball rolling. Good luck.

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
Non-responsive Recruiter

This seems like an appropriate place to ask this...

I have been trying to contact my recruiter for a few weeks now. My package has been idle (less than a month) due to me taking some classes and other things to make it better overall. Now, I'm ready to get the ball rolling again so I have emailed her twice now and called about three times. I'm trying to be diligent in contacting her, but I also want to be respectful and not annoying. Despite my efforts I haven't heard one word from her. Does something like this constitute a call to NRD Dallas? How should I handle this and get things going again? Maybe Wink or RockyMtn have some advice? Thanks guys

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I'm ready to get the ball rolling again...

I have emailed her twice now and called about three times.

Does something like this constitute a call to NRD Dallas?

First things first I suppose. Now that you're ready, you need to know that she's got other people to attend to as well. If your package is being prepared, it will get done as fast as you both can do it.

You may have e-mailed her and called, but how long have you given her to respond? A day? two? Maybe you oughta wait till the end of the week

As for that constituting a call, do NOT go over her head unless she's grossly negligent. You'll have embarrassed her, and you're not likely to improve your odds of the next guy wanting to help you.

Hope this helps

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
I guess I should elaborate a bit...

I've been working with her since around October of last year. I've had the application done and all my LORs in for quite some time now, but I chose to take some time to make my package better...and she was aware of this because we've discussed it. I sent my first email back in May and made my last phone call about a week and a half ago. Jynx, you're right that I don't want to embarrass her as she is here to help me, but I would venture to say that she's on the verge of being grossly negligent. Hope this better explains my situation.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
OUdrumz...are you dealing with the OKC officer recruiting station? If so ..she's one of NRD Dallas's best recruiters and in fact got Recruiter of the Quarter..that is no easy task. I know her well and she does a hell of a job. The effort you get from her is proportional to the effort you put in and how competitive you are. She goes all over the state and doesn't have a lot of help. You have to realize that it is a buyer's market right now, you need her..not the other way around.

Oh and going over her head to NRD Dallas will be met with significant push back..as they hold her in high regards. I know, trust me.

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
Sooner, yes I am...and if we're both speaking of LCDR P. then I agree she does seem like she's a hell of a recruiter and I know I need her, which is why I'm so distraught that I'm not getting a response. I guess then my question is how much communication should I expect and/or how often should I call her? Like I mentioned earlier, I want to be respectful and not annoying...especially if she's as renowned as you say she is. I guess I'm just excited to get all this stuff going and I can't wait to get to where you are now.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Sooner, yes I am...and if we're both speaking of LCDR P. then I agree she does seem like she's a hell of a recruiter and I know I need her, which is why I'm so distraught that I'm not getting a response. I guess then my question is how much communication should I expect and/or how often should I call her? Like I mentioned earlier, I want to be respectful and not annoying...especially if she's as renowned as you say she is. I guess I'm just excited to get all this stuff going and I can't wait to get to where you are now.

The best thing to do is..when you complete a task that you set for yourself (ie. a new set of grades) you take your transcript into the office, drop it off and then discuss the next course of action.

I would go months at a time with no contact...retake the ASTB, come back in 3 months with my new grades and hand them into her..she puts them in the file. Come back a month later...do my PRT, add it to my package and then submit it.

Then I find out I'm pro-rec'd and we would go from there.

You have to realize, right now they're really going after SPECWAR and Nukes...pilots/nfo's are a dime a dozen. Everyone walks in and says they want to be a pilot...when you have a kick ass GPA and ASTB score..they call you a little bit more.

If you keep coming in and dropping off your documents and hitting all the goals that you set for yourself..she's more than happy to facilitate. Once you get selected, she'll get everything you need set up to get you a final select. I got along well with her..but it was me that made it happen...not her, she only made sure she was at the office for me to drop off what I needed to.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This seems like an appropriate place to ask this...

I have been trying to contact my recruiter for a few weeks now. My package has been idle (less than a month) due to me taking some classes and other things to make it better overall. Now, I'm ready to get the ball rolling again so I have emailed her twice now and called about three times. I'm trying to be diligent in contacting her, but I also want to be respectful and not annoying. Despite my efforts I haven't heard one word from her. Does something like this constitute a call to NRD Dallas? How should I handle this and get things going again? Maybe Wink or RockyMtn have some advice? Thanks guys
Here is an option that does not constitute "going over her head". There is a civilian Processor in the office. All of the apps go through that person for QA and detail work. The Processor can put his hands on every app in the office regardless of program and may know of your case by name already. They used to be the gate keepers. That is less so now that there are cell phones, direct dial numbers in the office and email. But they can still be a great resource because most have been in the business for many years. Most all are former military and lots are former recruiters. Call and ask for the Processor. Just ask them for an update. Act eager, even anxious. Simply say you know the the recruiter is busy, must be on vacation, whatever, and you just wanted some guidance. Callimg the Processor is not going out of the chain of command. Give that a try.

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
Sooner and Wink, thanks for all the info and advice. That gives me a little better idea of how the process works. I wasn't aware that it was "normal" to go months at a time with no contact. I guess I'm just scaring myself. Calling the Processor sounds like a good plan because I know my recruiter leaves the office often. Thanks again guys.

fricfrac

ASTB/How to Prepare

Hello. I'm interested in taking the ASTB but since I've been out of school for so long I need to re-hone my math skills. I've already got the necessary books to help me with this, but upon perusing the electricity and mechanical comprehension portions of the practice test I'm really lost. Can you recommend some resources to utilize in order to prepare for the Electricity/Mechanical Comprehension sections? I know that ARCO has study guides but when it comes to the electricity portion they really don't do a good job of explaining the circuit diagrams. I have no idea what they're talking about. Thank you for your time.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Hello. I'm interested in taking the ASTB but since I've been out of school for so long I need to re-hone my math skills. I've already got the necessary books to help me with this, but upon perusing the electricity and mechanical comprehension portions of the practice test I'm really lost. Can you recommend some resources to utilize in order to prepare for the Electricity/Mechanical Comprehension sections? I know that ARCO has study guides but when it comes to the electricity portion they really don't do a good job of explaining the circuit diagrams. I have no idea what they're talking about. Thank you for your time.

I think someone may have asked a question similar to this before - if only there was a way to search through old threads to find it.....

blarged

ready

In all honesty ... check Wikipedia on information you aren't to certain about. Lots of diagrams and descriptions. The ASTB is really elementary in the Electrical/Mechanical sections, so you really won't need to be parsing through any doctoral thesis papers.

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

(Better hurry before some smartelic on AW goes and edits the article ...)

PS. Why the heck is this in the Recruiters thread?

Maniac

Hi Fricteac
I have a background in electronics.! I have also done a lot of the stuff you are trying to accomplish. I am also in DC. I have left a message where you can contact me. Let me Mon if I can help.

Funnage

I've got a quick question towards recruiters. It's been about 2 weeks since one recruiter gave me a number for taking the ASTB and was emailed by another recruiter who said they'd call me within the week. So far, I haven't received that call (emailed that person questions pertaining to the process a week later which was left response-less and called a week later to leave a message).

I can guess that with the economy bad, they're getting flooded with applicants, but is it normal to wait upwards of months for any motion in the application process? The most I was given was a basic word document with contact info and a number to schedule my ASTB, which I called to find out it is a fax line. Is it just me?

I don't know if recruiters are inadvertently telling me to take a hike and forget about signing up because I'm a bit stubborn at times and fail to take a hint.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got a quick question towards recruiters. It's been about 2 weeks since one recruiter gave me a number for taking the ASTB and was emailed by another recruiter who said they'd call me within the week. So far, I haven't received that call (emailed that person questions pertaining to the process a week later which was left response-less and called a week later to leave a message).

I don't know if recruiters are inadvertently telling me to take a hike and forget about signing up because I'm a bit stubborn at times and fail to take a hint.

Unless they asked you your age, medical and legal stuff that excluded you automatically (and they would have told you you were ineligible), then they will test you. I can't know what is going on but you are not getting good service. Almost any station that gives the ASTB will have a civilian Processor. That guy usually schedules the exams and administers them. Next time you call ask to speak to the Processor directly. You don't need to talk to a recruiter to take a test. At most offices the recruiters don't bother with the prospects UNTIL they take a test and will invest little time until the prospect cuts a qualifying score. Be persistent. Anyone that answers the phone should be able to schedule the ASTB.