• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters giving me the cold shoulder...

MasterHawk

Hello all. First of all, a word of thanks to all those responsible for developing this forum into what it is. It has provided me with a wealth of great information over the past few days, so glad a recruiter mentioned it to me.

A little background info... Junior at Georgia Southern University, Civil Engineering Tech major, philosophy minor (hopefully), 1 letter on the football team, eagle scout.

Im 6'4 270 lbs, with a body fat of around 19-20%, which I hope to get down to around 235-240 lbs (which I am quite capable of doing), after my final season of football (I'm an O-lineman). I know the Navy requirement is a body-composition less than 22%. I already meet that standard. When I explain this to the recruiters they act as if they want nothing to do with me. I am fortunate enough to have scheduled an ASTB testing in a couple weeks, which I am confident about. My question is this, am I wasting my time talking to recruiters right now? Should I wait until I finish football and lose the extra pounds before starting the application process? Would there be consequences if I applyed now instead of at some later date? I want to get a jump on the recruiting process as early as possible but not at the cost of getting selected. All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'm gonna say give the ASTB a shot and see if they start talking to you more once you pass it. Something that I've noticed is that the more boxes you check off in the process the more they are willing to spend time on you. It is possible that they just want to see if you're serious before spending a lot of time on you.

Does it really seem that they want nothing to do with you, or is it just more of a take the test and then we'll talk sort of attitude?

MasterHawk

You're probably right. The recruiter I talked to Thursday didn't seem overly concerned, scheduled me for a test in a couple weeks, and said he'd call me back with details Friday (he didn't, and I'll call him Monday).

The Naval recruiting office I walked into a few weeks ago basically showed me the door, I asked for the number of the local officer recruiter (they were enlisted recruiters) and was denied.

I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my chances by applying now, instead of later. I don't want any doors slammed on me now, when I know for a fact that I'll meet the standards before I graduate.

Thanks.

tiger84

LT
pilot
You should be fine if you meet the body fat standard assuming you measure it using the Navy circumference method, unless there's a max weight restriction I don't know about. If you're going for an aviation slot it may be tougher with the anthro stuff, but I'm no expert on that.

As far as getting the cold shoulder, I was over standards by about 10 pounds when I started the process, but my ASTB score and eagerness to get going with the application helped keep my recruiter interested long enough for me to drop the weight. Just keep at them and you'll get some attention. It's also never to early to apply. The process is long and painful so the earlier you get started the better.

IRfly

None
My recruiters didn't start talking to me seriously until after the test. And don't worry about the weight--if you don't get it down yourself, they'll give you a hand at OCS. Reduced rations, anyone?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You should be fine if you meet the body fat standard assuming you measure it using the Navy circumference method, unless there's a max weight restriction I don't know about. If you're going for an aviation slot it may be tougher with the anthro stuff, but I'm no expert on that.

FYI, CNATRA currently has a weight maximum (235 I think...whatever the max ejection seat weight is). This isn't necessarily an issue for accessions, but as tiger mentioned, it can cause a problem if you're going for an aviation slot.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
(770) 612-4360 ext. 309

Try this number...and when you do get in touch with the Officer Recruiter let him/her know about the local recruiting station that showed you the door.

p.s. don't worry about the weight yet...you're already within standards, right?

Kycntryboy

pilot
Im 6'4 270 lbs, with a body fat of around 19-20%, which I hope to get down to around 235-240 lbs (which I am quite capable of doing), after my final season of football (I'm an O-lineman). I know the Navy requirement is a body-composition less than 22%. I already meet that standard. QUOTE]

Yeah I know exactly your problem, I played tight end back in college and played at a weight of 245 (6'1'') (bf college tested 13%). When I went basically anorexic to get down to 220 one month after the end of the season for my MEPS physical (navy bf tested 20%). After that they still wanted to know why I weighed so much on my application (my recruiter wrote back telling that it was the end of the season and my weight would be the highest it would be. Bottom line A) The navy way is bad at testing actual bf, don't take muscle into consideration. B) It was a tough balancing act between getting in my application for the Navy and still playing football (graduating on time). If you do get accepted you have to be willing to stop playing football immediately to a) start losing weight b) so you don't injure yourself so you don't screw your chances of becoming a pilot even before they start. c) to concentrate on your studies. Even if you get down to 235-240 that is still going to be a problem, got to go even lower, stop lifting and start running. Going to be an uphill battle to get in and keep your weight down.
GL
Clay

sarnav

Good advice Clay. The Navy testing system is shady at best. It is a waist - neck corresponding to height, nothing more. Bigger guys will always have a tougher time. Can you still pass the PFT at that weight? It is always good when a 200+ guys smokes the 130 lb weeklings in the run. Ace the ASTB and the doors will open, good luck and I hope it works out.

red1323

It seems that a lot of recruiters have a "deny everyone at first and see who keeps comming back" method going. My recruiter told me I was wasting my time and his by applying when I first went in. Even afterI did well on the tests, dropped some lbs and passed my interview he was still less than enthusiastic, but I kept applying, partly because of encouragement from this site, and had no problems getting accepted.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My old CAG was a Hornet driver, about 6'5" and had to weigh at least 240lbs. He was just physically a big dude. I've seen a few other jet types who were either big and fit or big and fat. It might very well be, like someone said, as long as you start within standards. Now an old buddy of mine was 6'1" and weighed in about 250-260lbs and I think may have had a problem with ejection seats. All muscle with this dude as well. He ended up flying the MH-53 in the Marines, which was probably the only aircraft capable of lifting his giant frame.

MasterHawk

Thanks for the positive replies all. I'm taking the test next Tuesday and i'm looking foward to it. One more question, the recruiter told me a calculator was not allowed on any portion of the test, though I thought I read about some people using on the Mathematics portion. I could be mistaken. Thanks again!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
a calculator is really not needed. theres a few formulas that were needed for some questions and they even gave them to yo uat the top of the sheet before the questions. Very simple math. Some trig and algebra but thats really it.

tiger84

LT
pilot
You can't use a calculator, but it's definitely not needed. Any of the math you might need to do can easily be done with pencil and paper or just in your head.

balt

argh
Study hard for the ASTB, make a good a good score, and you will get the attention you need. There's not much the recruiter can do for you other than answer questions to the best of their ability and help you get your completed package sent off.

You have to take the initiative at all times, because you are going to be doing the legwork. Studying and scoring well on the ASTB will let him/her know you are taking it seriously. Until then, you're just another guy who is exploring possible career options.

Good luck!