• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter Says I Can't Take OAR Only?

USAF_WX2USN

I have already took the full ASTB early last month and am going to retake it later this month to get a better score. However, I would only like to take the OAR portion this time, since I have no interest in flying, and would like to focus my attention on the first three sections only.

My recruiter said that it's all one test only and he's never heard of it being possible to just do the OAR section. I see all around the two main forum that plenty of people of have just taken the OAR. Is there any references or guidance on this?

exNavyOffRec

I have already took the full ASTB early last month and am going to retake it later this month to get a better score. However, I would only like to take the OAR portion this time, since I have no interest in flying, and would like to focus my attention on the first three sections only.

My recruiter said that it's all one test only and he's never heard of it being possible to just do the OAR section. I see all around the two main forum that plenty of people of have just taken the OAR. Is there any references or guidance on this?

When a recruiter is not aware of BASIC things dealing with officer recruiting such as the exam it makes me think your recruiter is an idiot. You CAN take only the OAR as it is a 2 part test. If he is still clueless after you tell him that it is a 2 part test get a new recruiter, because if he isn't going to put in the minimal effort needed to do his job what is he going to do with your application and the effort he needs to put into that.

USAF_WX2USN

When a recruiter is not aware of BASIC things dealing with officer recruiting such as the exam it makes me think your recruiter is an idiot. You CAN take only the OAR as it is a 2 part test. If he is still clueless after you tell him that it is a 2 part test get a new recruiter, because if he isn't going to put in the minimal effort needed to do his job what is he going to do with your application and the effort he needs to put into that.

I did politely ask yesterday if it was a requirement for his office that I take both, since I know of people personally who did just do the OAR. I mentioned a particular office where this individual did their test and he told me he would get back to me. I don't even know how I would go about getting another recruiter, if need be. Currently, this one is about 2hrs from me and they're the closest ones.

USAF_WX2USN

Well, the recruiter got back to me and STILL says he hasn't heard of anyone just taking the OAR. I cited some references, so hopefully something can get worked out....

exNavyOffRec

Well, the recruiter got back to me and STILL says he hasn't heard of anyone just taking the OAR. I cited some references, so hopefully something can get worked out....

Tell him to call Joyce or one of the administers in Pensacola, they will set him straight, is he the one actually adminstering it, or is he just setting you up with the test administrator.

USAF_WX2USN

Tell him to call Joyce or one of the administers in Pensacola, they will set him straight, is he the one actually adminstering it, or is he just setting you up with the test administrator.

Thank you. I'll pass the info along if he doesn't come back with a better answer.

He's the one I scheduled it through and there is another lady that helped me log in last time and print off my score, but they sit right next to each other and the computer I took it one was right by them.

USAF_WX2USN

Well, heard back from my recruiter and he said that he found out that some recruiting stations allow applicants to only take the OAR, but he said it's very uncommon???? However, he said our district makes everyone take the whole ASTB.....So, looks like I have to take the whole thing again.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, heard back from my recruiter and he said that he found out that some recruiting stations allow applicants to only take the OAR, but he said it's very uncommon???? However, he said our district makes everyone take the whole ASTB.....So, looks like I have to take the whole thing again.
He's probably right that it's uncommon. Of the designators that go to OCS and require the ASTB (NA, NFO, SWO, Intel?) at least half require the whole test.

exNavyOffRec

He's probably right that it's uncommon. Of the designators that go to OCS and require the ASTB (NA, NFO, SWO, Intel?) at least half require the whole test.

Actually in OR school were are told that only those applying for designators that require the entire ASTB should take the entire ASTB, most designators do not require the entire ASTB, the only ones that do are PILOT/NFO and AMDO for AQR so people taking just the OAR is very common and preferred, once they get the windows issue fixed and the new ASTB actually starts having a person take the whole thing will waste about 4 hours.

There could be a few reasons why he wants you to take the entire thing, one is that the test administrator doesn't know how to give just the OAR, however my test administrator was not the sharpest tool in the shed and had no problem, another is he is aware that he wants to put you in for something in aviation since to get credit he just needs to get an application submitted, yet another is that your recruiter is at one of those districts that is on independent operations and if so you might be screwed since those are the ones that have been having issues.

you can take the ASTB anywhere, so if you are going on leave somewhere outside of where you are at you can take it there, if you PM me where you will be or where you are at I can direct you to another place to take the exam.

If you are at where your profile says I am sorry you have to deal with them.