• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter Gift?

unbroken

Naval officer
Hi all,

I was recently selected for an IDC commission, and my recruiter has been truly exceptional throughout the process. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to get him a small gift as a token of my thanks (gift card to a local restaurant, for example). Or I would welcome other ideas, of course. Is this okay or typical, or should I steer away from it?

Thank you.

BigRed389

None
Hi all,

I was recently selected for an IDC commission, and my recruiter has been truly exceptional throughout the process. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to get him a small gift as a token of my thanks (gift card to a local restaurant, for example). Or I would welcome other ideas, of course. Is this okay or typical, or should I steer away from it?

Thank you.

Best gift would be to graduate and go on to do great things.

They're professionals and govt gift acceptance rules would apply.

Anything beyond a thank you note would be weird IMO.

Hello sir,

I am currently an enlisted recruiter (pushed up a few OR referrals). We are prohibited from accepting gifts. It is our job to break the stigma that comes with recruiters. We try hard because we truly care. When it comes to receving gratitude, personally, I have found it best and more fulfilling when receive a heart felt thank you letter.

Cheers!

azguy

None
Don't get your recruiter a gift. Get his/her personal email address and write them a note in two years when you have earned your pin, qualified as xxxx (senior watch station at your command), and have selected your second set of orders. That will mean infinitely more to them than a free dinner at the local Applebees.

exNavyOffRec

I always told my guys nothing before they went to OCS, I said go and graduate OCS, then when you are back in town we would have lunch and catch up, some bought me lunch, some bought me a drink, sometimes we just split the bill.

I did have the wife of one of my guys drop off a bottle of wine when I wasn't there, let my COC know, they said don't worry about it since the card was addressed from the guys wife and he was in OCS.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
When you take the oath, you will sign a bunch of paperwork. I was surprised how much of this paperwork addressed the relationship with the recruiter.

You cannot loan, or borrow money from them. You cannot send them selfies from the shower, etc. Im pretty sure one addressed gifts.

exNavyOffRec

When you take the oath, you will sign a bunch of paperwork. I was surprised how much of this paperwork addressed the relationship with the recruiter.

You cannot loan, or borrow money from them. You cannot send them selfies from the shower, etc. Im pretty sure one addressed gifts.

no shower selfies? I wish someone had told me earlier, I was very photogenic :D

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
It was more like no photos by electronic means at all, to cover all bases. You know how most rules are written in blood, so I assume lots of fun was being had in recruiting.