• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

hi everybody,

just wanted to know what you guys thought about this email i got from a recruiter about PRK ...

-jim

"You sound like the perfect canidate to be a Naval Officer in the aviation
field. Unfortunately you are not eligible to be a pilot, you would have to
settle for being a Naval Flight Officer. From what I understand they do
everything but fly the plane itself which is much more exciting. I
understand your thoughts of getting the PRK surgery, but from my experience
everyone who has got the surgery prior to entering the military has been
permantly disqualified. My recommendation would be to come in as a Naval
Flight Officer and then try and have the surgery while your in the military,
this would not disqualify you then and you would then have an opportunity to
be a pilot. You should come to Harrisburg to take the test and start the
application process.
Looking forward to helping you reach
your goals as a Naval Officer in the avaiation community."

gunnerdd972

Sounds like that he is trying really hard to get you to go for NFO. I belive the Navy is hurting bad for NFO's. As for the PRK thing, (which I am no expert on this aera) there are people in this fourm that have had PRK and are in flight training as I am typing this. Do a search for PRK in this fourm, and read all information on the subject. I would not settle for what you don't want. I hate it when recruiters do this crap! If you have done PRK already, put in an app for pilot, if you are rejected, you can put NFO as your second choice. To get pilot you would need to get a waiver, unless the policy has changed since Vicki had her waiver. If you have not had PRK yet, get all information on the current policy, and the risks of going through the operation. Also it is very hard to go NFO to Pilot from what I am told. Take a look on that message threads on that subject as well. Don't give up on your dreams, some people in this fourm have been to hell and back in order to get a pilot slot. One of them is in OCS right now (GO GET EM DAVE!). This fourm is a gold mine of information and people who know what to do and who to talk to. I hope you get that brass ring. Let the hoop jumping begin!
Good Luck.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Jim

gunner,

thanks for the inspiration. i already made a post about PRK and a lot of people were nice enough to give me a ton of useful info. thats why i didn't understand. maybe its just that this rec did hear about the waivers.

-jim

Jeff29

Science Project
Your recruiter may have PRK confused with LASIK, which is permanently disqualifying. Basically, he is either misinformed, or lying. You can find everything you need to know about the policy at http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm .

Take this info to your recruiter and see what he says. If you do decide to get PRK, let me know and I'll try to help you avoid some of the problems I ran into.

Status
Not open for further replies.