• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recommendation Letters

Daniel Barton

although i will not neccessarily submit my package in about a year, i know active duty captains and commanders, and i am worried that they will pcs here within the next year, and i will lose connection with them, my father just retired from the navy. getting to the point, im worried that i wont have the outstanding rec. letters and not be considered for the board. can i receive a rec. from these captains and commanders that i know now, wait about a year then submit my package, or will it consider to be out of date? i am just starting my college career, that why i am not submitting my package in a year from now.

anything helps

thank you

KBayDog

tumblr_lxjlw4AnIX1rn1xxfo1_250.gif

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
The Shift key... where's that damn Shift key?

Don't start gathering letters of recommendation until you've talked to a recruiter and you have an application underway.

CBR11

im worried that i wont have the outstanding rec. letters and not be considered for the board
You seem to be under the impression that only those with LORs from high ranking officers have a shot. If you browse through the stats of pro-rec'ed applicants, you'll see that letters from professors, employers, or coaches will suffice. I would worry more about getting good grades at this stage.

exNavyOffRec

although i will not neccessarily submit my package in about a year, i know active duty captains and commanders, and i am worried that they will pcs here within the next year, and i will lose connection with them, my father just retired from the navy. getting to the point, im worried that i wont have the outstanding rec. letters and not be considered for the board. can i receive a rec. from these captains and commanders that i know now, wait about a year then submit my package, or will it consider to be out of date? i am just starting my college career, that why i am not submitting my package in a year from now.

anything helps

thank you

If you are just starting your college career you have more than a year, unless you are trying for NUPOC. An OCS application generally can be submitted 6 months from graduation, recently extended to 12 months on case by case.

If going NUPOC they don't look at LOR's, in fact every one of my NUPOC applicants was picked up with no LOR's in the kit.

If going GENOFF the LOR that you have to have are last 3 employers/all employers within 3 years, if have less than 3 employers then go to college professors/coaches/people that have supervised you in community service, then people that have not supervised you or seen you do work.

LOR's do have a "expiration time" generally anything in the kit has to be less than 6 months old.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Of if you know them, get a good email address for them and hit'em up for an LOR when it's actually needed.

Besides you might do something pretty impressive In the future but since your LOR's were all old, they won't mention how you saved someone from drowning or something like that...

smurf2002TKE

I have less than 10 months to graduating college. My command stated that I need to start working on my package. I work at a combatant command and my last department head is now a 3 star and Commander of Seventh fleet. Would a LOR from him, my current department head (2 star), and my OIC (Full Bird) be suffice for LORs?

exNavyOffRec

For an active duty applicant yes, but the narrative will be the real tell, and you would be getting interview appraisals as active duty, you also need to have them dated within 6 months of the board meeting.

smurf2002TKE

Is there a dead line for active duty applications? When I read OPNAVIST 1420.1B chapter 4 stated that boards meet continuously throughout the year. I could not find any dead line to submit packages. My mentor told me to be prudent on getting started now. Getting a hold of my contacts and starting the flow. I plan on taking the ASTB after the 1st class exam in March. That way I can do the interviews over the summer and my commissioning physical in the fall to wrap up everything before submitting everything to my Commanding Officer. Then once I graduate with my degree I plan on just turning in everything at once.

exNavyOffRec

Is there a dead line for active duty applications? When I read OPNAVIST 1420.1B chapter 4 stated that boards meet continuously throughout the year. I could not find any dead line to submit packages. My mentor told me to be prudent on getting started now. Getting a hold of my contacts and starting the flow. I plan on taking the ASTB after the 1st class exam in March. That way I can do the interviews over the summer and my commissioning physical in the fall to wrap up everything before submitting everything to my Commanding Officer. Then once I graduate with my degree I plan on just turning in everything at once.
That instruction is somewhat out of date, but considering NRC can change board dates at a whim it will really never be accurate. The boards generally have a few meetings, one is Jan and April, the other is October/November. These board dates have changed from just a few years ago, and the exact number of boards depend on the designator, some meet a few more times, some meet a few less, and with many designators being filled for a while I expect boards to not increase for a while.

smurf2002TKE

That makes a lot of since. The LCDR who is helping me in my desired designator mentioned that when we got together to discuss options last week. Basically when I graduate in December 18, 2012 I should request to get my transcripts submitted early before Christmas on my package or route it in my last semester with the Degree plan on finishing it up?

smurf2002TKE

Speaking of instructions is that the only one still used for Active Duty personnel? Or is there another one out there on the streets more up to date?

exNavyOffRec

That is the most up to date instruction.

You need to find out when your graduation transcripts will be available, we had 2 collegiates who graduated in Dec but transcripts weren't available until the beginning of the year.

What designators are you trying for? Pilot is one that is wide open if you want to try for it.

smurf2002TKE

I am looking at going into Intelligence, Cryptology, and IWO for my choices. I think I am too old and plus I recently had LASIK eye surgery so I would be disqualified for Pilot. I am currently a OS2 at HQ United States Pacific Command and I work directly with the Intel community. I will have to set an appointment up with my academic adviser which I have already done to know when transcripts will be available.