• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recommendation Letters

exNavyOffRec

max age for pilot with waiver is 29, NFO is 31.

Crypto and IW are the same, IW is the new name for Crypto.

Given you are an OS2 you will have an advantage, normally IW prefers tech degrees and list not having calc and physics as significant negative factor, but current enlisted should get some leeway.

Both are very small communities with each selecting 30 to 40 each year, Intel is expected to have 600+ application for 10 spots on the next board. IW does the majority of their selections in the fall.

smurf2002TKE

The LCDR mentioned IW considering I have the 0348 NEC (Track Data Coordinator). I am more of a trouble shooter and I scored a 55 for my OS1 exam last cycle. OS1 is really competitive as well. I was selected Junior Sailor of the Quarter at PACOM last year and nominated for Junior Sailor of the year. From what my chain of command says I have a pretty decent shot of getting selected. It is just dotting every I and crossing every T at this point. Plus I have a application time line my LPO requires out of me. What is IO? I know there is another one besides Intel and IW. Would scoring high on the Math portion of the OQR part of the ASTB have a higher chance of getting selected?

exNavyOffRec

A big part of getting selected is the degree and GPA now, while enlisted does give you an advantage (to clarify if all is even I believe they turn to the enlisted/prior service). The factors for selection have changed drastically in the past few years, most of the current Intel officers I have talked to on recruiting duty say they would not be picked up now based on current requirements.

There are 3 designators under IDC, IW/Intel/IP. IP is information professional and requires tech degree, IW and Intel prefer tech degrees, there is supposed a new program authorization coming out requiring a tech degree for all.

That was 10 (ten) in my last post, of 600 apps they will pick 10 (ten) people.

They OAR is just an overall score, you have no way of knowing how you did in each section.

smurf2002TKE

Sir,
That does clarify a lot for me. For one I am considering Navy intelligence just on the fact it is interesting and something completely different than I am used to. Referring back to OPNAV 1420.1B chapter 4 section 4d the History degree I am seeking is one of the preferred for the intelligence community. I currently have a GPA of 2.95 overall and I predict to graduating with no more than a 3.25. Also, I am planning on requesting the PACOM J2 as part of my officer interviews. I appreciate the guidance you have given me tonight.

Very Respectfully,
OS2

exNavyOffRec

Unfortunately that instruction isn't updated as things change.

Since you are looking at applying at what would be the boards next Jan, I would look at SWO, it should be open again by then and it is less competitive, the max age with waiver is 31 so if you meet that give that a shot as well.

smurf2002TKE

I am going to put that in as well. Even with my experience as an OS they might select me in that option. I do have three choices in my categories.