• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recent Air Contract Commissions

Navel_Avatar

I am about to commission in a couple weeks and am hearing from the OSO office there is a backlog on Air Contracts going to TBS. Just wanted to know if there are any recent commissions out there, and what your TBS dates are? I put 05-08 on my RFA "dream sheet" but was told it might be September-Octoberish. Thanks.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
They only took 50 air guys for Bravo a couple weeks ago. I'm hanging out in Mike... which actually is a pretty good deal.

Wake up for 0630 formation. Released until final formation at 1600. Maybe get involved in a working party for a few hours one day each week.

IFS is backed up so no dice at knocking it out in Quantico before picking up with a training company, at least for the time being.

Though granted, I would prefer to be training, but it could be much worse.

OCSCAND

I am also slated to commission in a couple weeks here and put down May as well for TBS. I haven't heard anything about a delay in reporting to TBS, just might have to wait around a bit in Mike Co. once there. A bunch of my platoon mates from 196 that are air contracts got put into Mike Co. as well. I'll let you know if I hear anything more.

Navel_Avatar

Thanks for the heads up. Just curious, of the 50, we're they going off PFT scores, check in times, or just luck of the draw. While Mike Company sounds not so bad, I still have flash backs from the horror of MAT (Marines Awaiting Training) platoon in 29 Palms back in the day. Sitting in formation for 12 hours, raking sand, DERMOing an entire barracks...good stuff.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
At OCC-196 graduation we were told it would be based upon PFT, thus the highest scores go with Bravo. Around 1400 03JAN08 I found out that it was based on check in time.

You'll have the occasional working party in Mike, but there are so many LTs in Mike now that your name comes up like once each week. Generally you meet at 0630 for morning formation and 1600 for final formation - You're left to do what you like for the rest of the day.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up. Just curious, of the 50, we're they going off PFT scores, check in times, or just luck of the draw. While Mike Company sounds not so bad, I still have flash backs from the horror of MAT (Marines Awaiting Training) platoon in 29 Palms back in the day. Sitting in formation for 12 hours, raking sand, DERMOing an entire barracks...good stuff.

OMFG...I also had to deal with MAT at 29 Palms. I'm unbelievable at painting rocks. At least mine was C Co. That was like getting rescued from the belligerent-ass Sgts over at SRC.

On topic- I'm heading into the major's office tomorrow to see if I can't heavy- barrel my way into the June class. I have the added bonus of needing to dispense of real estate before I leave the ATL and I'm a prior who's not getting any younger so I hope to pull those cards to get a solid TBS date. It should take a few days, but I'll let you know what the results are.

MettGT

pilot
At OCC-196 graduation we were told it would be based upon PFT, thus the highest scores go with Bravo. Around 1400 03JAN08 I found out that it was based on check in time.

You'll have the occasional working party in Mike, but there are so many LTs in Mike now that your name comes up like once each week. Generally you meet at 0630 for morning formation and 1600 for final formation - You're left to do what you like for the rest of the day.

The way it worked for those that picked up for Bravo was that they took 325 Lt's based on check in time and then worked it down to 300 based on medical/PFT/swim qual/etc all during zero week. PFT had the biggest impact on whittling it down. Bottom line for the next group that shows up to TBS is check in as early as possible. I got there a little before 0930 and I litterally drew straws for one of the last 3 air contract slots.

eurotrash

USMC SNA
I just caught word from another Lt. that he got orders to IFS prior to his TBS pickup date. He should be punching out shortly. Anyone else hear of this going down?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Is TBS still overbooking report dates? When deciding who to roll during zero week does the staff consider commissioning source at all?

Should I TMO before reporting, or should I make sure I have a spot in the class I am reporting to before I TMO?

It would totally suck to get rolled to the next class, have my household goods in VA, maybe a lease in VA, and an empty house in GA (if it hasn't sold). God I love the big green machine.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Quick question. How the eff are they fitting 325+ Marines in the classrooms at TBS? I remember having lieutenants sitting around the bulkheads due to lack of seating with a mere 265 per company.

MettGT

pilot
Is TBS still overbooking report dates? When deciding who to roll during zero week does the staff consider commissioning source at all?

Should I TMO before reporting, or should I make sure I have a spot in the class I am reporting to before I TMO?

It would totally suck to get rolled to the next class, have my household goods in VA, maybe a lease in VA, and an empty house in GA (if it hasn't sold). God I love the big green machine.

As far as I know, they're still overbooking. Hopefully, some of this will be relieved with Delta picking up. I don't believe that they take into account commissioning source when you check in, just whether or not there are slots left (so be early).

As for TMO, I don't know exactly, because I haven't had to do it. However, I'm pretty sure that once you're checked in, you're either in the class you have orders for or are in Mike Co, waiting to get picked up and mustering every morning with the occasional working party (ie, they're not gonna let you hang out in GA unless you check in, and then take some leave). Hopefully, this answered some of your questions.

MettGT

pilot
Quick question. How the eff are they fitting 325+ Marines in the classrooms at TBS? I remember having lieutenants sitting around the bulkheads due to lack of seating with a mere 265 per company.

We've got around 300 here in Bravo (I don't think Charlie is any bigger). It's pretty tight with the extra tables they stuffed in there, but I think most everyone has a seat. Though a lot of classes get split up between the company (ie 3 plts having a class in the classroom and the other 3 having discussion groups).

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
As for TMO, I don't know exactly, because I haven't had to do it. However, I'm pretty sure that once you're checked in, you're either in the class you have orders for or are in Mike Co, waiting to get picked up and mustering every morning with the occasional working party (ie, they're not gonna let you hang out in GA unless you check in, and then take some leave). Hopefully, this answered some of your questions.

The reason I put it in terms of whether I should move my stuff sooner rather than later was that I could just get the PTAD deal back to GA if I don't make it into the class. Not to mention that I have leave hanging out my ass.

MettGT

pilot
I see where you're coming from. Doubtful they'd let you PTAD out of Mike Co, though stranger things have happened. You'd be more likely to get PTAD orders cut before you reported to TBS, but that would defeat the purpose and only delay the inevitable.

If you're not picked up for the company you have orders for, I'd say your best bet would be to take leave. I'm not sure how Mike Co handles leave, but I've heard all sorts of scuttlebutt as to it being limited in certain ways (not sure, as I haven't spent time in Mike and after all, its just rumors).

Bottom line, your life would be easiest if you sold your house, got new digs here around the Quantico Highlands, do your TMO, and show up as early as possible the day you check in to ensure you got a spot. Easier said than done, right?

And remember, common sense is an uncommon virtue here at TBS.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Bottom line, your life would be easiest if you sold your house, got new digs here around the Quantico Highlands, do your TMO, and show up as early as possible the day you check in to ensure you got a spot. Easier said than done, right?

That's ideal. You got any of your alumni engineer friends here in A-town that need a place? I'll even rent it to them.

And remember, common sense is an uncommon virtue here at __________.

I see you're picking up fairly easily on the sarcastic plays on words...Just remember that when you're in the fleet, you make a decision, and your Marines come out with something fairly verbatim. Trust me...I've been caught by my Lt. saying it about something he came down with. He got a little red assed about it.