• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

receiving consideration for NAPS?

Chris94

CWO selected
I'm currently applying for USNA and the USMMA and while I don't think I'll be accepted to the USNA, I have looked into NAPS and it is my understanding that they'll offer admission to NAPS if they see potential in you. Is there any way I could make it more known to the Academy that I'd be perfectly willing to go to NAPS? Do they consider letters that are sent in that would basically be showing my willingness to do whatever it takes? or would they not even consider something like that?
thanks

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
Chris94,

During the USNA application process, you'll be interviewed by a Blue and Gold Officer. As part of that interview, the BGO should ask you if you'd be willing to go to NAPS (or a Foundation School - either one is an extra year of schooling to prepare you for USNA, just different setting). Your answer will be included in their interview writeup, which is a part of your official application. You can also mention in your personal essay that you are willing to get to USNA by any means necessary.

That being said, realize that NAPS is generally for 3 types of individuals: fleet sailors / Marines who have been out of an academic setting for a while; recruited varsity athletes (I believe that is how USNA allows some people to "red shirt," since you can't voluntarily do a 5th year at USNA); and students coming out of high school who haven't necessarily had the opportunity to take AP, honors, IB, etc courses that USNA looks for in high school jrs and srs.

This is not to say that if you're at a school where you're already taking every AP course possible, that there's no way you'll be considered for NAPS. Anything is possible; just realize you're not going to be their target audience for that particular path to USNA.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, I'm a BGO and happy to answer. There are a few others here too who may have additional information.

Good luck!
ReconJos

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If turned down for usna and you tell your BGO you would be interested in naps, you will automaticly be screened for naps by the same board.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
There are other prep schools, too in addition to NAPS. I don't know if the process is the same but there are other avenues.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are other prep schools, too in addition to NAPS. I don't know if the process is the same but there are other avenues.
Those are Naval Academy Foundation scholarships to civilian USNA approved prep schools. Simply referred to as "Foundation", a candidate is recommended to the Foundation Board by the USNA Admissions Board. Separately, Foundation decides if they want to offer a scholarship to a candidate. It is usually needs based and not always completely free. If offered the scholarship you pick from better than a dozen USNA prep schools to attend. On completion of Foundation prep school you apply for USNA just like you did as a high school senior. Admission to USNA is not guaranteed, but over 90% who apply are accepted to USNA. I suspect that the ones that aren't accepted had just a little too much fun their first year away from home, often times with a car and few house rules. Most of the Foundation prep schools are not military schools at all.

Chris94

CWO selected
Chris94,

During the USNA application process, you'll be interviewed by a Blue and Gold Officer. As part of that interview, the BGO should ask you if you'd be willing to go to NAPS (or a Foundation School - either one is an extra year of schooling to prepare you for USNA, just different setting). Your answer will be included in their interview writeup, which is a part of your official application. You can also mention in your personal essay that you are willing to get to USNA by any means necessary.

That being said, realize that NAPS is generally for 3 types of individuals: fleet sailors / Marines who have been out of an academic setting for a while; recruited varsity athletes (I believe that is how USNA allows some people to "red shirt," since you can't voluntarily do a 5th year at USNA); and students coming out of high school who haven't necessarily had the opportunity to take AP, honors, IB, etc courses that USNA looks for in high school jrs and srs.

This is not to say that if you're at a school where you're already taking every AP course possible, that there's no way you'll be considered for NAPS. Anything is possible; just realize you're not going to be their target audience for that particular path to USNA.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, I'm a BGO and happy to answer. There are a few others here too who may have additional information.

Good luck!
ReconJos
thanks for the info, what can i expect for my interview? it's set for this thursday... can the interview be a greater determining factor of admission than grades? I got a 3.6 and a 1700 so i'm not really above average.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's more to see you as a person since numbers only mean so much. It's obviously quite an investment so they're going to make sure that whoever they recommend is going to be up to the task. There are people who are going more for there parent's than themselves and they won't get far. The BGOs can answer more on that.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
[quote="Chris94, post: 757276, member: 36638"] Thanks for the info, what can I expect for my interview? It's set for this Thursday... can the interview be a greater determining factor of admission than grades? I got a 3.6 and a 1700 so I'm not really above average.[/quote]
Chris94, hopefully a helpful hint or two. Proper grammar/punctuation/spelling, etc., is of supreme importance for a Naval Officer. Even more so in submitting packages to any accession board. If you submitted any written material containing a paragraph [uncapitalized] quoted above , I think the board might lose interest in your application. A college student/grad, should, and will be expected to write with proper punctuation.

In the quoted paragraph, there are five captalization errors highlighted in red. Need to work on the capitals!!! I know it doesn't mean much posting here.... EXCEPT:

A. You slip out of the habit of properly punctuating written material.
B. Gives the impression that perhaps, you slept throuh your basic writing classes; or...
C. Too lazy to bother doing it right, or...
D. You didn't attend a quality HS/College.

Now none of these may be true, but perceptions are reality to the reader, and you don't want to be perceived to be lazy, or a tool; either on here, or in the future by board members.

Hoping you accept this as it's intended... only to improve your "chances", applying to future selection boards.;)
BzB

Chris94

CWO selected
[quote="Chris94, post: 757276, member: 36638"] Thanks for the info, what can I expect for my interview? It's set for this Thursday... can the interview be a greater determining factor of admission than grades? I got a 3.6 and a 1700 so I'm not really above average.
Chris94, hopefully a helpful hint or two. Proper grammar/punctuation/spelling, etc., is of supreme importance for a Naval Officer. Even more so in submitting packages to any accession board. If you submitted any written material containing a paragraph [uncapitalized] quoted above , I think the board might lose interest in your application. A college student/grad, should, and will be expected to write with proper punctuation.

In the quoted paragraph, there are five captalization errors highlighted in red. Need to work on the capitals!!! I know it doesn't mean much posting here.... EXCEPT:

A. You slip out of the habit of properly punctuating written material.
B. Gives the impression that perhaps, you slept throuh your basic writing classes; or...
C. Too lazy to bother doing it right, or...
D. You didn't attend a quality HS/College.

Now none of these may be true, but perceptions are reality to the reader, and you don't want to be perceived to be lazy, or a tool; either on here, or in the future by board members.

Hoping you accept this as it's intended... only to improve your "chances", applying to future selection boards.;)
BzB[/quote]
Whoops! No, I did not sleep through my basic writing classes...They were WAY TOO EXCITING!!!:confused:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
thanks for the info, what can i expect for my interview? it's set for this thursday... can the interview be a greater determining factor of admission than grades? I got a 3.6 and a 1700 so i'm not really above average.
I won't give you any of my personal secrets. Wouldn't probably do you much good anyway since BGOs do their own thing. We have only about 5-6 questions we have to ask. The rest is up to the BGO. You don't have to be a USNA grad to represent them as a BGO. Some BGOs never even served in the military. Several are just proud parents of USNA grads who want to help the institution obtain the very best candidates possible. Most BGOs, however, are current active duty, reservists or retired officers. There are even some retired enlisted serving as BGOs. All flavors should be able to answer all your questions about the USNA. Don't expect much about the real Navy from the guys that have never served in the Navy.

The interview will likely include some time with your family. A question and answer opportunity for your family. The real interview of you should be done in private. Again, can't say what you could expect. Just consider this, you are applying for a military academy that will eventually result in you becoming an officer, a leader. So, you might want to expect questions about leadership, responsibility, discipline, organization, dedication, etc. Don't be afraid to brag on yourself just a bit. If you led the public health committee on a church trip to build homes in the jungles of Central American, find a way to work that into the conversation. If you are a shift supervisor at work, your BGO would love to know that. Know who you are talking to. If your BGO is military try to use his rank. In any case some "sirs" or "ma,ams" are appropriate.

Once before on this forum I have addressed what to wear for a BGO interview. It doesn't have to be a three piece suit. You don't want to be stiff or overly formal. But showing respect, both for the BGO and USNA is in order. For God's sake, don't wear a T-shirt and shorts. I have seen it. Most every BGO I know wears their uniform or a sport coat and dress pants. Some wear ties. ( I live in the SW which is rather informal in dress.) Somehow I don't think the guys I have seen at interview in T-shirts would have dressed that way to interview for Stanford, or Harvard. I don't think they would have interviewed dressed like that for their dream job. Consider what you might wear to church, a wedding or important job interview. Your appearance conveys respect or lack of it nearly as much as your words. Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever have a guy show up stoned? when I did enlisted recruiting an officer applicant showed up stoned, needless to say his application did not move forward.
That is a good one. I spent many years, both as a real production officer recruiter and "supporting" a NRD as a reservist. Never saw that. Haven't seen it on the BGO side either. But then, I usually interview in the candidate's home with family present. I'd love to see a wasted candidate in his own home with mom and dad at the dining room table.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever have a guy show up stoned? when I did enlisted recruiting an officer applicant showed up stoned, needless to say his application did not move forward.
OMG, I can see where that would have a somewhat ADVERSE effect on a Candidate's "chances"!:rolleyes:
I'd love to see a wasted candidate in his own home with mom and dad at the dining room table.
If that ever occurred, chances are Mom and Dad would in all probability, be somewhat wasted as well!:eek:
BzB