• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reason for no call back??

AU_Aviator

I have personally contacted the local officer recruiting station for my area about meeting with them in person and obtaining additional information about becoming an officer in the Marine Corps.

The problem I am having is that I can't get any return calls from them. The last conversation I had with them was over a month ago and we discussed my basic information such as age, height, weight, education, tatoos, and physical abilities. After this conversation I have not heard anything back. I gave them honest answers about everything and as far as the physical abilities is concerned, I am not currently where I would need to be, but with continued training I am confident that I will be.

Is there anything I might have said that would have caused this? The last thing they told me was that a recruiter would be in the area to speak with a few other candidates and they would be in touch with me to set up a time and place to meet.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
These aren't enlisted recruiters. They don't need you. They get hundreds of phone calls a week from plenty of talented, qualified applicants. If you want this, you're going to have to put in a lot of effort in the beginning (I mean contacting and working with your recruiter) and after he sees you're serious and you make some progress in the application process and get accepted, he'll be on top of you to get you squared away.

My recruiter never called me back until I took the ASTB and got a 63 8/8/8. Then he knew I was serious and started calling me.

Until then, you're just another of the countless one-time callers he won't take seriously. If you take this personally, you're in for a LOT of surprises down the road. :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What they said. This isn't like regular recruiters who need to meet a quota. You're applying for a job now; a very selective job with lots of competing applicants. So the OR isn't going to invest a lot of time in Random Walk-In Asshole Who Wants to Fly Jets. He sees a dozen or more of those a week. Typically a lot of them drop off the radar once they find out they have to get a haircut and lose a few pounds.

So, do the legwork yourself. Show him you're serious, then you'll get a callback. Is it a lot of work? Shit, yeah...and flight school is a lot of work.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
The problem I am having is that I can't get any return calls from them. The last conversation I had with them was over a month ago and we discussed my basic information such as age, height, weight, education, tatoos, and physical abilities. After this conversation I have not heard anything back. I gave them honest answers about everything and as far as the physical abilities is concerned, I am not currently where I would need to be, but with continued training I am confident that I will be.

Maybe you told them something that disqualified you. I don't know if I would have waited over a month for a call back. Keep calling until they are sick of you.:D In that month you could have studied for the ASTB and then called and informed them that you are ready to take it.

Clux4

Banned
The economy is bad and the Marine Corps is really over its 202K goal, so there is really no stress.

Gnar

Speaking from my experience, when our OSO is shipping people out they do not bother with non select candidates. I know recently our station has shipped a few guys out and they have been super busy. Maybe that is what is going on at your station. I also agree with previous posts, they do not give a rats ass if you call...show your face in there.
P.S. Careful what you wish for...you will start getting plenty of calls for boots/uts and hump days ha.

AU_Aviator

I figured that they were probably really busy with getting people ready to ship out for the summer and that I would really need to stay on top of them. I just figured I would check with some of you guys on here to see if you had any suggestions.

The only thing I could think of besides them being really busy was that I said something that turned them off. I am probably older than a large portion of people who they are dealing with, 27, but I dont think that is too old. It looks like I have waited to long to be a pilot, but I told them that anything related to aviation would be great with me.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
My recruiter never called me back until I took the ASTB and got a 63 8/8/8. Then he knew I was serious and started calling me.
Same. Well, same except that I had a higher ASTB score :icon_tong

They are busy and there are lots more people out there who would never make it past the board than people who would.

phrogpilot73

Here's my recommendation. Don't wait for a callback - show up at the office. Tell them that you want to participate in every event the OSO runs. Hump? Sign me up. PFT? Sign me up. Eventually they'll realize how serious you are, and you'll move to the top of the pile...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Same. Well, same except that I had a higher ASTB score :icon_tong

They are busy and there are lots more people out there who would never make it past the board than people who would.

Maybe so but I have gold bars and gold wings. ;)

I had the same problem when I was first getting started. The advice everyone is giving you is good though. I would call back, gather your paperwork (transcripts from college takes the longest) ask if you can set up a date to come in and take the ASTB. I would take the computer version since they can print out your score on the spot, and then you're on your way. It's just really hard to get past that first step, they probably do that for a reason though.

I heard one time at the Air Force they had met their quota, so for a while the recruiters just played mini golf and didn't answer the phones. I doubt that's the case with the Marines, but since they're not really hiring NFO's, getting into flight school is probably a lot harder now.