• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

BigRed389

None
I've never been on a board, but I would expect some experience in positions of real leadership/responsibility or some good graduate work will mean at least as much as a piece of paper from the USCG saying you know how to use an ARPA.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't help, but if the Navy thing doesn't pan out for whatever reason, would you want to be a civilian mariner?

And I would also add, I'm pretty sure we have SUPPO's to do that whole money management thing.

asomm1

I've never been on a board, but I would expect some experience in positions of real leadership/responsibility or some good graduate work will mean at least as much as a piece of paper from the USCG saying you know how to use an ARPA.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't help, but if the Navy thing doesn't pan out for whatever reason, would you want to be a civilian mariner?

And I would also add, I'm pretty sure we have SUPPO's to do that whole money management thing.

Sure, but what kind of leadership/responsibility position does a SWO-wannabe take for less than a year? If I wanted to go aviation, I'd get more flight hours; SUPPO, I'd intern for a business; SWO...I'm not too sure.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Its about how you can sell yourself in your packet. With all communities, its about leadership first. What kind of leadership traits do you have at work or school? Take what you have to offer and lay it all out. Go through the motivational thread and see what people who have been selected have had to say.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Sure, but what kind of leadership/responsibility position does a SWO-wannabe take for less than a year? If I wanted to go aviation, I'd get more flight hours; SUPPO, I'd intern for a business; SWO...I'm not too sure.

Do whatever you can to keep your liver (and other parts) working as often as possible.

While waiting for API I had an EWS instructor who said he was a bartender at Flounders while waiting for API many years ago. His goal was to drink away the profits and bang every waitress. I think I was born 20-30 years too late...

Edit: Thought you were already in and just waiting to commission or something similar.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

Shit...I'd go about getting my Z-Card and get on a merchant ship and grab some work in the meantime. Seriously though it's more about grades, LORs, extra's, scores, and that moto statement. But I'm willing to bet most applicants don't even know what a Z-Card is and maybe having one MIGHT make you stand out just a smidge. If you don't know what it is...google it.

Good luck.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Shit...I'd go about getting my Z-Card and get on a merchant ship and grab some work in the meantime. Seriously though it's more about grades, LORs, extra's, scores, and that moto statement. But I'm willing to bet most applicants don't even know what a Z-Card is and maybe having one MIGHT make you stand out just a smidge. If you don't know what it is...google it.

Good luck.

You'll also need STCW95 endorsement and last time I checked, that will take a couple of grand to get completed!!

ledzeppelin

So I have a question about SWO. I'm a junior in hs right now and im doing NROTC in college. Im narrowing down my choices of what to be commissioned as now and i was reading into SW and saw that as a junior officer, you have a two year tour then a year and a half tour. Stupid question but doe that really mean ill be on a ship for two years straight? like away from family and everyone for two full years?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The ship deploys and comes back on it's schedule. Roughly 6 month cruises at a time.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Depends on what you choose (BMD ship,AMPHIP, etc.). For the most part, figure 1-2 months (total, not combined) for training + other tasks, plus a 7 month deployment. In between figure a yard period for 4 months or so then a training cycle which will include the 1-2 months mentioned. Work days in-port are generally 0700-1600, however they can be longer at times depending on what's going on. I have had some days where I split at 1500 and others when it became 'beat taps'. Again, it just depends on what's going on.

SWO Bro

dumb question but my OR doesn't seem to know the answer and therefore neither do I... after OCS do I go straight A-school, or SWOS or is A-SChool SWOS? and how long does that last.

BigRed389

None
dumb question but my OR doesn't seem to know the answer and therefore neither do I... after OCS do I go straight A-school, or SWOS or is A-SChool SWOS? and how long does that last.

You're not enlisted as a SWO, so there's no "A-school."

You will go to "mini-SWOS" aka "Baby SWOS." More recent OCS'ers can give the gouge on where that is held...last I heard was they were going to their ships, then going to Baby SWOS taught at the base where their ship is stationed at. And again, last I heard, it was 3 weeks. My info is dated by about a year now though.

ledzeppelin

tatoos

Random question but, I was wondering if as a SWO, can you have tatoos? I'm wanting to get one on my upper arm of my family crest

BigRed389

None
Random question but, I was wondering if as a SWO, can you have tatoos? I'm wanting to get one on my upper arm of my family crest

I know dudes who had USNA/OCS class numbers, SWO pins, officer crest, and I know a few chicks with tramp stamps.