• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

jpa140

Just wondering what are the chances of a newly commissioned ENS (SWO of course) be able to serve on a CVN instead of a CG or LHD or FFG?? In a typical 20 ysr career of a SWO is it possible to stay on only one kind of ship or do you usually go on different ones as well as shore duty?

BigRed389

None
Just wondering what are the chances of a newly commissioned ENS (SWO of course) be able to serve on a CVN instead of a CG or LHD or FFG?? In a typical 20 ysr career of a SWO is it possible to stay on only one kind of ship or do you usually go on different ones as well as shore duty?

You could stay AEGIS your entire career without too much help from the timing/detailing gods.

Amphibs and FFGs are like 2nd order "legitimate" SWO tour.

Everything else (Small boat units, LCACs/LCUs, LCCs, Carriers, PCs, HSVs, Minesweeps) is not a good fit with the "normal" SWO path, so you usually can't do more than one of such in your first ~10 years. Some exceptions to that rule of course.

To answer your first question, your first SWO tour will be on AEGIS, FFG, amphib or sweep. Options open up after that.

BackOrdered

Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, unless you are a SWO Nuke, I never heard of a first tour Non-LDO SWO on a Carrier anywhere.

cBoehme

Pro Rec SWO July 2012
Hey Guys, was wondering if anyone could help clarify some things for me? I was under the impression that the SWO board wasn't happening in July then I saw that it was. I also saw somewhere that there were not any 2012 or 2013 fiscal year positions slated for SWO candidates. Can someone in the know please clarify if there are SWO positions opening up for this July and Fall board and if so do you know how many positions? Any info would be great!

I talked to my recruiter today, there is a board in July. I heard last board that 90 out of 400 were selected. 1 out of 4 seems high but that is what I heard.

Renegade One

None
Another "chip shot" from the breakfast buffet at the retirement home...but here goes:

SWO JO tours on a CVN: If you're a NP-qual kinda guy or girl...go for it. Otherwise...

The only other "truly bitchin' job" I ever observed in my time as squadron CO, Ship's Company OPSO and CSG Chief of Staff was "ANAV". A real "sweet spot" assignment that only seemed to go to the frothy cream at the top of the SWO pitcher. These folks rocked...in a very high-vis assignment that was understood and appreciated by EVERY Senior Commander or Commanding Officer embarked.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ANAV these days, at least on a CVN, is a billet for a disassociated tour aviator.

Renegade One

None
ANAV these days, at least on a CVN, is a billet for a disassociated tour aviator.
Brett: Appreciate the current info...but I'm not convinced it's a great plan. Puts two aviators (despite our incredible talents, which are the stuff of legend...) in charge of a fairly critical "SWO-ish" department. I suppose you could say the same thing about CO/XO...but that's a different discussion.
Cheers!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Brett: Appreciate the current info...but I'm not convinced it's a great plan. Puts two aviators (despite our incredible talents, which are the stuff of legend...) in charge of a fairly critical "SWO-ish" department. I suppose you could say the same thing about CO/XO...but that's a different discussion.
Cheers!

VMS takes over SO much of what the QMs and NAV once did. Word is, charts are going away altogether. On the LCS it is even more "press of a button" than that, removing the need of many watch standers.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cheers!
Well it seems to be working out just fine over the last 15 years or so. There's a qualification process just like with any important watchstander. If an aviator can be trained to be the ship's CO, then an O4 aviator can be trained to be the ANAV. BTW, the Navigator and Ops O and big XO are also aviators. Should we cut back and add in some SWOs for them as well?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Cheers!

So, should Naval Aviators and NFOs not be the CO and XO of carriers since it more "SWO-ish" the NAV and ANAV?

Renegade One

None
Well it seems to be working out just fine over the last 15 years or so. There's a qualification process just like with any important watchstander. If an aviator can be trained to be the ship's CO, then an O4 aviator can be trained to be the ANAV. BTW, the Navigator and Ops O and big XO are also aviators. Should we cut back and add in some SWOs for them as well?
Man...you guys are busting my balls here for no known good reason. All I was trying to say was what I though "good SWO jobs" were out there to be had on CVNs. Here's an idea? Why don't I just STFU?