• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real STOL Studs!

yak52driver

Contributor
Yak et al
The Valdez competition is for fun and I think the landing record is something like 10 feet? For some serious short/soft field there are not that many videos available without serious searching on Youtube or ??
I've done some that were hairy and scared shit out of me while other old pros in the area thought it was ho-humm.
Do a ridge landing with a Pilatus and so tight you had to have someone hold the tail up while you turned around? And 400' to work with? A load of hard rice and other necessities and no room for error.
I've done landings with a C-150 that stopped in its own wingspan. BFD. given the right conditions you can lilterally land like a helicopter. So do it with a working machine that can carry some payload and you have a different condition and standards.

Totally agree. A cub/super cub/husky/etc is nothing to land short distance. With a headwind even easier. But a working airplane; charter, freight dog, etc, now THAT takes some skill on a short field with a monster crosswind. But even that doesn't come close to a carrier landing based on conversations I've had with those that have BTDT.