• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real STOL Studs!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Word from the grapevine is that the prop is really the most important part of the STOL on those airplanes..... 'course the low ground pressure doesn't hurt either

I did notice that three or four blade scimitar-ish prop. I wasn't sure how much it counted for, but it's certainly not your average 2 blade Sensenich.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There's no way that there's anything in there. No instruments beyond what's min required and just enough gas to get them up and down. Kinda like a dragster.

So it kinda defeats all purpose other than claim bragging rights that they can take off in a ridiculously short distance.

rrpilot

There's no way that there's anything in there. No instruments beyond what's min required and just enough gas to get them up and down. Kinda like a dragster.

...From what I've seen that's pretty typical 'bush plane' performance...without cargo aboard of course...maybe there are some bush pilots on the board who can corroborate?...:confused:

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Came across this one in the related videos. Impressive, and a little crazy...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Came across this one in the related videos. Impressive, and a little crazy...

There's another one on there (I believe it's the same guy since the topography is the same) where he takes his Highlander and gets a running start down the hill and as he becomes airborne, he kills the engine. He then proceeds to glide to the specific spot he called when the video started. Pretty spiffy flying, though presumably rehearsed initially.

A friend of the family is building a Highlander in his garage right now and it's a neat little airplane for a LSA Cub knockoff.

ryan1234

There's another one on there (I believe it's the same guy since the topography is the same) where he takes his Highlander and gets a running start down the hill and as he becomes airborne, he kills the engine. He then proceeds to glide to the specific spot he called when the video started. Pretty spiffy flying, though presumably rehearsed initially.

A friend of the family is building a Highlander in his garage right now and it's a neat little airplane for a LSA Cub knockoff.

that dude was a little nuts.. When he started out he missed some huge rocks on the side of the hill by a very small distance..that wouldn't have been pretty

rrpilot

I believe you may be thinking of this video...the engine is off the whole time...:eek:

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
They do this competition annually. The "Spot Landing Contest" is equally impressive, as is the Flour Sack Bombing one.

Somewhere, I saw a video of bush pilots with taildraggers landing on sandbars that for in low tides. For the takeoffs, they actually had the wheels dragging in the water to get up to rotate speed.:eek:

It was on NeptunusLex a while back. I'll try to find it.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I believe you may be thinking of this video...the engine is off the whole time...:eek:

Not gonna lie, that is some bad ass shit. I'm curious where he was. it didn't really look like Alaska - unless it was somewhere way in the interior. Normally would expect to see more trees...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Do the big wheels in the first video help with the short landings, or something else?

FlyinRock

Yak et al
The Valdez competition is for fun and I think the landing record is something like 10 feet? For some serious short/soft field there are not that many videos available without serious searching on Youtube or ??
I've done some that were hairy and scared shit out of me while other old pros in the area thought it was ho-humm.
Do a ridge landing with a Pilatus and so tight you had to have someone hold the tail up while you turned around? And 400' to work with? A load of hard rice and other necessities and no room for error.
I've done landings with a C-150 that stopped in its own wingspan. BFD. given the right conditions you can lilterally land like a helicopter. So do it with a working machine that can carry some payload and you have a different condition and standards.