• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ready Room Down

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ENSsquid said:
we've done 13's, 31's and 35's. you won't ever use 4/22

Fam solo here. changed to 4 while I was in the run up. Pays to know that stuff...

GoPlay, not sure if things were different in NFO training, but the brief in pilot training is 90% of the battle. If you bomb a brief, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the IP is going to through everything that you messed up in the brief at you while you fly. Flying can be taught... and they will teach you. The brief is the first chance that you get to show the IP that you did your part by showing up prepared.

One thing that was consistant every time that I checked into the sqd... "welcome aboard.... We expect you to show up prepared to brief, we can fix what you mess up in the a/c, but only if you show us you are doing your part by showing up prepared."

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Mefesto said:
My question is didn't you ever fly the course rules for whatever it was your forgot? We had to SEE everything at least once when I was in Primary.
gregsivers said:
Not necessarily the case in Corpus. If the winds don't change to warrant a runway other than 13L/R, you won't use the others. 9 times out of 10 the winds are out of the SE, but occasionally you'll get to take off on 35 or something.
Not really the case at Whiting either. You have to learn the rules for Area 3 but you may never once fly there. It's not really asked in checkride briefs but, again, you may never see it.
ENSsquid said:
I only took off one time and landed one time on rwy 4 (different days) during advanced. You know it's rare when you can remember how many times you've used a particular runway. Of course the landing was a circle to land on my AirNav Solo. This was during the winter months during which the winds do vary a little. But supposedly during the summer you will never see anything but rwy 13.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
makana said:
Not really the case at Whiting either. You have to learn the rules for Area 3 but you may never once fly there. It's not really asked in checkride briefs but, again, you may never see it.

I went to Area 3 on a FAM flight out of Whiting. I was also asked Area 3 stuff in my FAM check. Why? Because they can.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
ENSsquid said:

Continue to beat the horse :icon_mi_1

Standing RDO at Truax....RWY 04, Boomer solo takes off and stays in the pattern...obivous he was not familiar with what was going on (big suprise) and proceeds to narrowly avoid a mid air as he turned off the 180 and set up for final ON Taxiway E!! Tower had IFR traffic circling to land or something and the two came pretty damn close to each other...freaked out the tower and had my a$$ hole puckered up nice and tight. Tower told Solo to do a right 360 RDO told him to land....one of only two people I've seen down a solo.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Mefesto said:
Uh.. what???

Not 100% clear.. sorry.

I had a very good flight, but the instructor was quizzing me in the air about NATOPS, because it w. I f#cked up a question about the pressurization system... no excuses, I know... safety of flight and a hafta-know.

The point being that I got a pink sheet for that flight and I had to put up with NATOPS questions from EVERY instructor I flew with from then on out.. and I still selected the platform I wanted.

You can bounce back from a pink sheet, but you must be prepared for the fact that all your instructors will grill you on that point. Whether it be NATOPS, course rules, or lights-limits-procedures.

Schmuck

I was flying a check ride in advanced about a month ago when some guy in primary @ Whiting on his solo came in for the break @ South field and didnt realize it until he noticed there were helicopters all around (on final????). I hope there was a pink sheet waiting for him when he got back.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Pcola04/30 said:
Boomer solo takes off and stays in the pattern...obivous he was not familiar with what was going on (big suprise)

Probably cause he was Boomer :icon_tong

I took off on 31 and landed on 4 here in the same flight, only time I've ever used 4. Its great when the winds are 070 and they're still using 13 so they can use the parallel RWYs.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Yeah, i know that guy who had the near-midair at Corpus. Good guy, and smart. All it takes is that one brain fart for you to be the guest of honor at a closed-casket funeral, though.

phrogpilot73

Who cares about grades?!?

I would agree with the statement that the brief is the single most important part of the flight, in training AND in the fleet. You can be a mediocre (but safe) pilot, with excellent briefing skills and knowledge, and succeed.

I agree with everyone about not worry about grades. About my third flight in Primary is when I decided that I wanted helos. All of a sudden, grades didn't matter. Flight School became a blast after that. I still studied, but without the stress of getting jet grades, I was able to have fun. I ended up getting jet grades, but selecting Helos. My selection card read: 1. Helos, 2. Helos, 3. Helos. Still not as creative as a buddy of mine (who flys AH-1Ws now) who put 1. Space Shuttle, 2. SR-71, 3. Helos. The CO had a good sense of humor told him that the pipelines for his first and second were backed up, so he had to get helos. In the end, helos are more fun. You haven't really mastered flying until you pull into your first hover!

I also got a pink sheet during flight training, on my HT-18 solo checkride. I aced the brief, and downed the flight. Got 2 ET's and a reflight. How has that impacted me? Not at all. I'm a CH-46E pilot, and a WTI. No one cares once you hit the fleet, except to share your pink sheet stories at the O'Club drinking a beer. And to put things in perspective - the WORST pilot we have in the squadron didn't get a single pink sheet in flight school.

Just my $.02

pocketsizejesus

Do the chickens have large talons?
My thread is back from the dead again... die thread, die!

I guess an update is in order? This little event turned out to be nothing more than a great lesson in mental discipline. I got myself into a bit of trouble with the RRD, but it was really all mental. Voluntarily went in to see the stress management folks, just to be safe (that alone is a huge lesson in swallowing your pride), and I spent some time re-discovering mental clarity. When I went in again for my checkride, I aced that thing like nothing else. Got something like 3 or 4 fives. Everything else just came together after that. PAs went great, and forms went beautifully as well (after the humbling experience of form 1, of course).

Lessons learned, for the sake of anyone else who may read this thread in the future: 1) Problems in flight school are rarely as bad as they seem at first. Compartmentalization is absolutely critical. 2) Stress is an insidious little *****. Realizing that it's the problem is often the hardest part.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
To All who are reading this post:
Quick heads up: Statistically, you are going to down something in flight school. Yes, there are a few all stars out there who never saw the dreaded pink sheet. But for the most part, everyone has their pink sheet story...Let me tell you something, the fleet doesn't care so get past it, and shack the next couple of flights and you will be back on your feet. When they pin the wings of gold on you, all that crap will go out the window. You guys are going to have trouble in flight school. IT'S FLIGHT SCHOOL. It's supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be trying, and it's supposed to suck. But when you finish it, it will be worth all the pain. All right. I'll get off my soap box now.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I downed/failed an EOB RI flight the other night. No biggie, reflew it the next night and kicked its ass. Everbody has those bad days every now and then, at least thats how I look at it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For what it's worth, this is a great thread. THIS is the kind of sh!t that helps people out.

My training jacket looked like a watermelon slice, green outside, pink middle. I keed. Sort of.