• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re: former Pres. Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

nombrescreeno

It's from the Eminem music video "We Made You"

And you have to give props to Bill. He had such a case of yellow fever he engineered a release with NK just to get 2 asian women on the plane with him. Sometimes we just have to step back and salute his libido

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Potentially this is akin to paying ransom to pirates; it does confer a degree of legitimacy on the actions North Korea took against the individuals. Hopefully nothing more than attention was given in the exchange. It remains to be seen what the long-term results will be.

Really? It doesn't even come close to that. Long term result, probably nil.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
Hard to say since we more than likely will never know the full extent of what transpired. POTUS could have given Clinton authority to present/cut a deal for money/food or Clinton could have done it on his own.

You don't think the North Koreans would be trumpeting it? Reality check, this was all laid out before Clinton even stepped on the plane to get there. Other than words and pictures there appears to be nothing else the NK's got out of this.

Redux

You don't think the North Koreans would be trumpeting it? Reality check, this was all laid out before Clinton even stepped on the plane to get there. Other than words and pictures there appears to be nothing else the NK's got out of this.

You mean other then a former POTUS kissing their asses on a world stage? Matters not to me, I just hope it didn't cost taxpayers this time around to free two nitwits working on their expose. ;)

nombrescreeno

North Korea always comes off as a kid wanting attention. The "hey, look at me! Look at me!" kind. Having a big figurehead come to visit and talk to Kim (who looked awfully happy in all the pics with Clinton - at least Clinton came off looking grim in most of the pics) probably suggests that NK just wanted more attention (that and Kim probably wants to show legitimacy if the rumors of a power struggle for succession are true).

One can only imagine what the meetings and dinners in there must have been like...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way

If I were the leader of the People's Democratic Republic then I wouldn't be quite so giddy and enthusiastic about hosting a former POTUS on a high profile not-so-unofficial-business visit... seeing as last time that happened then about a month later the already-in-questionable-health Great Leader/Eternal President kicked the bucket... the similar circumstances just seem like bad luck... Just sayin' :icon_wink

But seriously, if Dear Leader and his loonies got their crazy fix by rubbing elbows with (former pres) Clinton and we got two Americans back in return, then I'm satisfied with the terms of this deal. And if one of the terms is we have to feed the North Koreans some more, I'm not exactly thrilled by that but sooner or later enough of them are going to figure out where the food is actually coming from and who the real good guys and bad guys are.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Potentially this is akin to paying ransom to pirates; it does confer a degree of legitimacy on the actions North Korea took against the individuals.

Seriously? Did FOX NEWS!!!!!!!!! <swooping graphic> tell everyone to think this? I heard similar reactions today during lunch while we were watching this in the wardroom.

But seriously, if Dear Leader and his loonies got their crazy fix by rubbing elbows with (former pres) Clinton and we got two Americans back in return, then I'm satisfied with the terms of this deal.

Exactly. Americans who are grateful to return were returned, and all by a third party. I'm waiting for the thread to start talking about how this is all Obama's fault...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously? Did FOX NEWS!!!!!!!!! <swooping graphic> tell everyone to think this? I heard similar reactions today during lunch while we were watching this in the wardroom.

Exactly. Americans who are grateful to return were returned, and all by a third party. I'm waiting for the thread to start talking about how this is all Obama's fault...

+1

@ Redux: So because they're journalists, they don't rate being rescued?

Brett

exhelodrvr

pilot
Really? It doesn't even come close to that. Long term result, probably nil.

I disagree. He puts a couple of Americans in jail, we jump through hoops to get them out. He gets what he wants, which is to make us react to him. Probably no long term significance, though.

exhelodrvr

pilot

No, but did Keith tell you to say that?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I disagree. He puts a couple of Americans in jail, we jump through hoops to get them out. He gets what he wants, which is to make us react to him. Probably no long term significance, though.

We shouldn't jump through hoops to get them out? It's not like they randomly grabbed 2 Americans on vacation in Japan, they nabbed some journalists snooping near their border who turned out to be American. Holding on to them would undoubtedly have consequences, but at the same time they don't want to just give every American an automatic free pass so they go through the motions of putting them on trial and releasing them for "humanitarian" reasons.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Huh?

Yes, when another country has Americans captive, it's probably a good idea to find a way to free them. Negotiating hostage release is as old as warfare, and has been done by many of the U.S.'s most esteemed Generals and Admirals. Making nice with a country's leader is a small price to pay for the lives of two citizens.

Other options: 1. Do nothing, but talk big and tough about how we won't negotiate with "terrorists." We'll then continue to have two captive Americans, and the world propaganda would be "oh, look at how depraved the U.S. is. They won't even have a meeting to discuss the release of their own citizens!!!"

2. Take military action. Might appease the hawks, but it's got numerous drawbacks. Namely, we're already at war with two other countries, and we won't have international support. On top of that, we'll still have two dead Americans on our hands, so the objective is moot.

I think the current choice was the right one. Two weeks from now, no one will care that Clinton met with Kim Jong Il.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Two weeks from now, no one will care that Clinton met with Kim Jong Il.

I disagree - this was a well executed political maneuver by the administration, that will have significant political benefits to the democratic party, and most importantly to Mr. Clinton's future as a power broker. Two major goals were accomplished, most importantly we rescued two American citizens from 12 years of tortuous imprisonment in the infamous Kwan li sow's, secondly we denied the North Koreans the legitimacy of meeting directly with the president; a president who is more than willing to sit down with cambridge cops and professors but will snub a tyrant acting out. Not to mention we were able to get people past the bamboo curtain to directly evaluate the health of the DPRK regime's leader.

Although I disagree with the POTUS on many things he has perfected the art of speaking with ones enemies, without speaking with his enemies.

Redux

+1

@ Redux: So because they're journalists, they don't rate being rescued?

Brett

No, because they're STUPID they don't. You know like the two STUPID ones in Iran. Some places you visit, some you don't. NK and Iran aren't high on my list of great places to visit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, because they're STUPID they don't. You know like the two STUPID ones in Iran. Some places you visit, some you don't. NK and Iran aren't high on my list of great places to visit.

So we only rescue the "intelligent" hostages? Everyone else is just fucked? I guess we'll also make you the ultimate arbiter of hostage intelligence as well. :rolleyes:

You are a moron.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.