• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RDML recieves NPLOC for profanity at Foc'sle Follies?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously the Admiral missed the new rules back in 2011. Probably because not enough JO's are wearing the patch...

index.php

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As long as we're threadjacking, is this ban a real thing, or senior Os just not liking it? Marines can't do flair anyways, so mine's still laying around.

MasterBates

If you are LT and something is banned by your COC does it really matter if it was banned by the CO, Commodore, or a Flag?

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I'm a LT and told not to wear something by my CoC, I don't consider it banned for all perpetuity, which is what your post made it sound like.

As JO, I was told not to wear the JOPA patch (yeah, that CO was a load of fun). That doesn't mean I'm going to say the patch is banned. That's all I (and I'm guessing Phrog) was getting at.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Patch was banned.
I was just told by the XO not to wear mine. Didn't know it was "banned."
If you are LT and something is banned by your COC does it really matter if it was banned by the CO, Commodore, or a Flag?

Banned patch? Part of the JO urban legend to make it seem even cooler? Perpetuate the plight of the downtrodden? Can anyone point to an instruction or provide FIRST hand retelling of an AOM where they were told they could not wear the patch (more than someone not liking it)? I'll retract as soon as someone (other than a P-3 guy - all too believable in that case) provides that. Sorry, but an XO telling me not to wear it doesn't equal a ban. CNAF actual putting a P4 on the matter? That's something different.

those that had been previously OOD qualified on another platform (the SWOs, LDOs/CWOs to a lesser extent) did not always take kindly to the (aviator) CO, (aviator) XO, (aviator) Gator, and (aviator) ANAV correcting their ship driving.

Or any random airwing O-4/O-5 up there for CDO/UW training...?

Said here before and I'll say it again, driving Mom around during flight ops or UNREP just isn't that hard...

MasterBates

Was told, during VAW-121 AOM, that the patch was not to be worn as "higher" said its in poor taste.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Banned patch? Part of the JO urban legend to make it seem even cooler? Perpetuate the plight of the downtrodden? Can anyone point to an instruction or provide FIRST hand retelling of an AOM where they were told they could not wear the patch (more than someone not liking it)? I'll retract as soon as someone (other than a P-3 guy - OR MB, who has an answer for everything all too believable in that case) provides that. Sorry, but an XO telling me not to wear it doesn't equal a ban. CNAF actual putting a P4 on the matter? That's something different.

Fixed it for myself....

Was told, during VAW-121 AOM, that the patch was not to be worn as "higher" said its in poor taste.

But this is more to my point. Can someone point me to who "owned" that decision....other than "higher"? I firmly believe it was a bunch of soft spined O-4s/O-5s who thought they knew how their bosses might feel about it and didn't want to be on the wrong side of PC - perceived or otherwise...

CAMike

None
Contributor
I'm surprised that you 1310's didn't sew the patch on the inside of your flight jacket towards the lapel. One could easily pull the side of your flight jacket outboard and "flash it" to those in the know. I knew a '91 Tail Hook Patch owner that operated that way in the mid 90's, ...on the down low. He really was a Frank the Tank and no, he didn't work for the purple people.

Or is there too much risk in the current PC Threat Condition now a-days?

SWO vs. Airdales eh? It's supposed to be a friendly team oriented banter, not a Career Jeopardy game with real life consequences.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Didn't see this posted after a quick first pass... makes me want to vomit... in a bad way. Per the IG report below, I can imagine myself doing and saying many of the things the RADM said and did, I wasn't there, but I have worked for some collosal no talent obtuse a$$holes (and I have been labeled as such I assume) and am a better leader for having endured it. Sometimes what you learn is what you won't do when you are at the helm...

http://www.ig.navy.mil/Documents/Re...n Commander Strike Group THREE 8 Feb 2013.pdf