• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RC CW DCO Program

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

No. The Navy is not agile enough as well as is too short sighted to tap in to those of us in the Reserve who could easily slide in to 184X.

Moreover, the Navy Reserve is not set up to take advantage of most talent, let alone, 184X's even if they were in the Reserve. At least based on my observations over the last 10 years. It's also a tough sell to most active components to throw read-ins and SAP access to someone who will come in once a month on the weekend. And, to do what?

When I was drilling at C10F we tried for three years to get a few of us over to TAO to employ our skill sets. Even had a couple of TAO people in my unit trying to help facilitate it as well. There was zero interest from TAO leadership or any of the active duty Navy folks in that org. As in negative zero.

Very disappointing but not surprising. I just figured if I'm going to have a second job that is steadily encroaching on the hours of a full-time job, it may as well be done doing something useful and something I'm really good at, right? It's not like I'll ever be able to deploy anyways. ¯\(ツ)

nodropinufaka

Very disappointing but not surprising. I just figured if I'm going to have a second job that is steadily encroaching on the hours of a full-time job, it may as well be done doing something useful and something I'm really good at, right? It's not like I'll ever be able to deploy anyways. ¯\(ツ)
If youre in the reserves and putting in that much hours you are doing it wrong

D

If youre in the reserves and putting in that much hours you are doing it wrong

You're implying that's somehow up to me. I didn't choose to be responsible for dozens of Sailors across 3 different DH roles, and to make matters more interesting dealing with a NOSC that regularly screws up. I didn't choose for my quals to include dozens of correspondence courses and books and other bookkeeping/organizational busy work. I didn't choose for a CAPT to throw extra stuff my way because supposedly I'm the most reliable JO he's known. It's the responsibility I'm ordered to act on, and I execute.

Though not the norm, it's not uncommon either. Take it up with my chain of command if you want to help. I just follow orders. Not all units, or roles within units, are created equally. Maybe you just sit around and do nothing on drill weekends and have nothing between drill weekends, good for you. It's not like that for everyone, which you are evidently unaware of.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodropinufaka

Though not the norm, it's not uncommon either. Take it up with my chain of command if you want to help. I just follow orders. Not all units, or roles within units, are created equally. Maybe you just sit around and do nothing on drill weekends and have nothing between drill weekends, good for you. It's not like that for everyone, which you are evidently unaware of.

It is up to you. If you don't push back when they stack work on you then you will end up in your position. Which is exactly why you are doing that much work.

I don't do work for the reserves if I am not getting paid. That simple. I will tell my CO or XO that anytime. How they handle it is up to them but they won't have a case if they expect that and cannot do anything.

It is simply managing expectations of senior officers.

I have no idea how long you been in or what rank you are but I would start to say no to things and manage their expectations better.

On active duty you learn reaaaal quick on what is reasonable and isnt and how to push back. Otherwise you wont last on the ship.

D

Halfway to O-2 which is why I feel I'm not really in a position to be telling senior officers what I should and should not be doing. I agree with your suggestions regardless, and I'm also happy to play with fire so let's see how okay they are with "dissent". I like that you talk money, too.

What's the worst that happens? They ADSEP me and I use the extra time to focus more on my lucrative career and sidegig ideas that pay ridiculous amounts of money? To be candid, though I believe the Navy is one of the finest institutions in the country, they'd be doing me a huge favor if we look at it in practical terms. Still, I admit making less than the federal min wage from a second job isn't too great.

Last edited by a moderator:

nodropinufaka

Trust me. They are not going to do anything if you tell them you cant keep up with all the work and try to manage their expectations.

Just tell them politely "XYZ position is taking too much of my off time and I cannot keep up at it with my civilian career. Could I have paid IDTT to telework 4 hours per week in one block? That would help me manage my time better" or something to that variant.