• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rare designators in USN

BigRed389

None
So is it different for the enlisted dudes? Most of the SEALs I've worked with have been enlisted but they said that they completed BUD/S which was a few months and then did about 2 years of training covering everything from jump school to arctic warfare and even offensive car driving. It wouldn't surprise me if the officers have some differences in their pipeline.

Maybe that explains why I was often offended by VA Beach drivers and their attempts to ram into me.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Well, two weeks ago I've been in Israel, a Red Sea resort of Eilat, just a couple of days, but had a conversation with Israeli Navy O-3 from their patrol boat squadron based there. Effectively two boats are on duty constantly, one off each borderline (both Jordan and Egypt are in plain vision from Eilat's beach), doing mixed naval/coast guard job. He have told me that there is definite and separate specialty in Naval Academy of Israel in Haifa - the Patrol Boat commander, and the officers of this pipeline usually spend all their time up to O-4 within patrol boat squadrons (both at sea and in staffs). Even within Israeli Navy, which as whole can be loaded aboard of Nimitz-class carrier by VERTREP, this attention for patrol boats (essentially Riverine warfare) is important enough, as I see, to have a dedicated career path for officers.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What will happen with the C-2 planes?

Can they be retrofit into Hawkeyes?

Continue to use them as-is until they lifespan out?

No. The E-2 and C-2 airframes are not even close to similar anymore. Just look at the fuselage, much less all the other stuff.

Max the Mad Russian

Depends. If you like Florida - then yes, it'd be nice for you, though slightly more expensive, but it's better to be there in spring (too hot in summer months). Even now the water is of its usual 24 C, while wind blowing from the desert quite could be of 16-17 C. If you prefer Havaiian style of the rest - no, it's better to go to Med shore of Israel. Tel Aviv from the beach is resembling Honolulu. And in any case this is a Middle East culture. All that is clean and bright is rare and expensive.

Max the Mad Russian

Gents,

What about Combat Systems DH on a carriers nowadays? Is this billet reserved to SWO URLs of for new Info Dominance people (are they RLs?), or this is for nukes, too? Or it can be NA/NFO, either?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Gents,

What about Combat Systems DH on a carriers nowadays? Is this billet reserved to SWO URLs of for new Info Dominance people (are they RLs?), or this is for nukes, too? Or it can be NA/NFO, either?

I think they're being swapped over to Engineering Duty Officers, same for the non-Nuke Chief Engineer (or whatever they're called). It's usually an O6/Captain billet and they're highly competitive.

Max the Mad Russian

Thanks a lot, but I have heard that CHENG of a carrier is nuke billet. Surfing www.navysite.de with collection of cruise books I've seen several O-5 CS DHs with that new Info Dominance badge. Honestly, I think this department duties are as far from EDO world as from aviation one, and this may be the only proper place on a carrier for regular non-nuke SWOs. Otherwise, I just don't know which info dominance designator should be the leading one for CVN CS DH - this officer should understand AAW as good as any communication stuff, since all close air defence means of a carrier is of his/her responsibility.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, are there any rescue means on C-2 to allow all the passengers to bail out if needed? On COD version of Osprey, either?

Serious E-2/C-2 mishaps have been relatively very rare, and bailouts even rarer. I think the last fatal COD mishap was in the early '70's. The E-2 community went almost 20 years between bailouts, and I don't recall hearing of one from a C-2.

Most emergencies that could happen with the E-2/C-2, by the time you've tried everything and decided the airplane's going to stop flying, you're probably too low for a bailout and everyone's committed to riding the pig in. It takes time to rig for bailout, and that's with 4-5 guys who've trained for it regularly.

C-2 a few years back that had a main gear issue with a full load of pax. Flew around overhead to burn down gas and made a gear-up field arrestment back at Norfolk.

Last edited:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Gear up field trap? Wouldn't that hook drag and sliding over the wire fuck up the field gear?

Max the Mad Russian

Pax are along for the ride. With Pax on board a ditch is your best option.

Wow. Just like airliner. Probably with similar safety cards to read. Right, in a Carrier series (documental about Nimitz deployment in 2005), when VFA-41's pilot Lt Doug Booher submitted the resignation from the Navy (after 12 years of service still O-3, seems to be banned from O-4 well before resignation, or USNA guy) and CODed to landbase, he and other pax took something like inflatable life jackets on just before takeoff. Is that standard procedure to have those jackets on?

Most emergencies that could happen with the E-2/C-2, by the time you've tried everything and decided the airplane's going to stop flying, you're probably too low for a bailout and everyone's committed to riding the pig in. It takes time to rig for bailout, and that's with 4-5 guys who've trained for it regularly.

Thanks, I've missed that point.

Flew around overhead to burn down gas and made a gear-up field arrestment back at Norfolk.

Yet this is old good Grumman Iron Works product after all. Only port engine was running during this landing - is that standard too? But imagine Osprey COD which cannot turn its rotors (just one of them is enough) to land vertically - is the ditching possible at all?

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gear up field trap? Wouldn't that hook drag and sliding over the wire fuck up the field gear?

I don't think it did, much. I was still at NGU when it happened and I think all they wound up doing was stripping and replacing the cable.

Wow. Just like airliner. Probably with similar safety cards to read. Right, in a Carrier series (documental about Nimitz deployment in 2005), when VFA-41's pilot Lt Doug Booher submitted the resignation from the Navy (after 12 years of service still O-3, seems to be banned from O-4 well before resignation, or USNA guy) and CODed to landbase, he and other pax took something like inflatable life jackets on just before takeoff. Is that standard procedure to have those jackets on?

He was just done with his tour in the squadron and moving on to shore duty, though I realize the show gave the impression that he was getting out of the Navy. It's not uncommon to rotate out like that, unless the squadron's very short-handed and the skipper asks you to stick around until the end of cruise. Which is also not uncommon, though it usually means something got screwed up somewhere, personnel-management-wise; someone got sick or got in trouble or failed out of a training course, etc. Anyway, yes, everyone onboard has cranials and horse collars.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I think they're being swapped over to Engineering Duty Officers, same for the non-Nuke Chief Engineer (or whatever they're called). It's usually an O6/Captain billet and they're highly competitive.

A friend of mine just finished his tour as a CS DH, he is an O-5 LDO IP, he relief was the same.