• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random questions about ocs and being an officer. Mustangs get ITT

Mark Spanel

Well I finally got my profile approved, so here is go with my questions, after some background info as that seems like an appropriate trend in new threads.

I'm a management student, graduating this summer. GPA will probably be around a 2.5-2.6, some volunteer work and leadership experience. I've already sent in my kit for SNA, NFO, and SWO.

So first question is: do I have a good chance at getting SNA?

Second thought: after I applied, I've been thinking about enlisting instead of trying to be an officer for various reasons (wanting to experience both enlisted life and later officer life, higher chance of being stationed with my fiancé). What would happen if I got offered an officer contract and I turned it down? Would I get a chance to apply for officer later in an enlisted career?

Surf

pilot
Mark,

It's a fair question, I too had that same question when I first began my application process. However, no one here or anywhere really can give you an answer as to whether you have a chance. You just have to apply and hope for the best. This is a career application and many people seek to get in every year, meaning if you want in you have to be competitive e.g. ASTB, G.P.A, LOR's. Your best bet is to search these forums for any questions you may have, because many other applicants have posed the very same ones before.

Best of luck,

Alex

(Also, if you don't get in the first time and you want it bad enough, keep trying!)

exNavyOffRec

Well I finally got my profile approved, so here is go with my questions, after some background info as that seems like an appropriate trend in new threads.

I'm a management student, graduating this summer. GPA will probably be around a 2.5-2.6, some volunteer work and leadership experience. I've already sent in my kit for SNA, NFO, and SWO.

So first question is: do I have a good chance at getting SNA?

Second thought: after I applied, I've been thinking about enlisting instead of trying to be an officer for various reasons (wanting to experience both enlisted life and later officer life, higher chance of being stationed with my fiancé). What would happen if I got offered an officer contract and I turned it down? Would I get a chance to apply for officer later in an enlisted career?

you have asked a question that is difficult to answer, even harder when we don't know how you did on the ASTB.

your GPA is at the minimum, you say it will be 2.5 to 2.6 when you graduate but what is it now? are you so close the board may look at it and pass because they don't want to take a chance of giving a pro Y to someone who could potentially go below the minimum.

Mark Spanel

OAR: 46
AQR:4
PFAR:5
FOFAR:4

My current GPA is 2.59, and will probably be the same by the time I graduate. My recruiter had me get all of my stuff together, including a current transcript, and he said that he would send it off and I would hear back before I graduate if I'm offered a contract. It's been about 3 weeks since I sent it in to him and I haven't heard back from anyone, and he won't return my emails.

My main question is what would happen if I turned down any contracts if I decided to enlist. Would that kill a chance for me to become an officer later?

exNavyOffRec

you are currently only qualified for SWO and SNA the minimum is 5 for SNA and you have a 5, you don't meet the requirements for NFO since you do not meet the minimum score. The fact that your OR hasn't returned your emails.

If you were by chance offered SNA and turned it down it would be a black mark, if you want to go enlisted then go enlisted, but don't go enlisted thinking that it provide a better shot at being an officer, your GPA will still be your GPA.

exNavyOffRec

similar application process but add in a panel interview and you will have to submit your evaluations, so if you aren't a top sailor then you really don't have much of a shot.

Mark Spanel

So say I do decide to take the enlisted route. My kit has already been submitted. Would I just tell my recruiter that i changed my mind basically?

I've been thinking about this a while. I think I was pressured into applying for officer by my family because I'll have a degree soon.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You would be stupid to pass up an offer from the Navy for an Officer billet to go enlisted but, honestly, I don't think that will be a problem judging by your numbers.
What did you score on the ASVAB?
Pickle

Mark Spanel

What's that supposed to mean? Lol I know my scores weren't the best, and hell, I studied like an sob before I too the ASTB and that's what I came up with.

Ive never taken the ASVAB

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That means your GPA and ASTB scores are not very competitive and you may want to work in studying for the ASVAB to help you qualify for a better rate.
Pickle

Mark Spanel

I know what it means, I was just tryin to be funny. I've taken practice asvabs before with good results, probably just need to work on math a little more seeing how I haven't used any real math in years

Mark Spanel

i guess what i would like to get multiple input on is what happens if i turn down an officer contract? there was a spread sheet that was floating around on here and i went ahead and entered in my info and it told me i have a very slim chance of becoming SNA or NFO. i also applied for SWO, but am regretting it now.