• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

jmcquate

Contributor
Beautiful afternoon for a local flight. Cool, just enough clouds to keep the sun away but still bright. I decided to do some aerial scouting for the Army of the Potomac near Chancellorsville...maybe I should tell General Hooker about these rebel gun positions...
View attachment 27367
My sources are telling me that those are Federal tubes at the base of Hazel Grove. They were hastily dug after MG Sickles was ordered to abandon his position atop the grove.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Probably
My sources are telling me that those are Federal tubes at the base of Hazel Grove. They were hastily dug after MG Sickles was ordered to abandon his position atop the grove.
Probably right. NPS interprets two battles there but I do know I was over the old Orange Plank Road and just past Elys Ford so that would make sense.

jmcquate

Contributor
Probably

Probably right. NPS interprets two battles there but I do know I was over the old Orange Plank Road and just past Elys Ford so that would make sense.
I think those are the arty positions that were built as part of a WPA project, and probably weren't there during the battle.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I think those are the arty positions that were built as part of a WPA project, and probably weren't there during the battle.
Intel is mixed...the federal batteries started along that little thumb in the top of the picture (Hazel Grove) and pushed forward, but the rebel batteries advanced past the dirt road to engage. I recommend we follow the old Latin trope..."Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius” or to simplify and modernize...”Kill them all. Let God sort them out.”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
@jmcquate if you are a reader of CW history you should know that Ed Bearss, the legend, passed away today. I knew him from my NPS time and he was a character. If you ever went on one of his Staff Rides you got a show of a lifetime. USMC combat vet (WWII) and Chief Historian of the NPS. Heck of a guy and I will miss him.

jmcquate

Contributor
Got to speak with him a few times at DC Civil War round tables at the Ft McNair OC. I heard about his passing earlier today. He was a national treasure.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
At 40I this evening with @mad dog attending the local annual Waynesville Airshow. 3000' turf runway that I routinely fly out of... the finale included a private contract aggressor F-5! Beautiful evening.
View attachment 27285

Have one of Capt Spuds ballcaps too. But I got the upgrade model with two anchors on the wings! ?

TXfYjxJ.jpg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Such a lovely day for flying...almost made me feel bad for the folks out west battling fires and high winds. Flew east to Cambridge-Dorchester (KVGE) and found all the airspace around Pax River open so I flew in some forbidden sky.

There is supposed to be a F-9 crashed down there somewhere...

A look right down Runway 32...

Flying by Webster OLF...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Such a lovely day for flying...almost made me feel bad for the folks out west battling fires and high winds. Flew east to Cambridge-Dorchester (KVGE) and found all the airspace around Pax River open so I flew in some forbidden sky.

There is supposed to be a F-9 crashed down there somewhere...

View attachment 27407

A look right down Runway 32...
View attachment 27408

Flying by Webster OLF...
View attachment 27409
I posted the position of the crashed jet awhile back. And it's a Sea Star not an F9.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
It's pretty not fun in Lemoore/Central Valley area, the norm the past couple of weeks has been shooting PARs to near mins and having to fly to fly 100mi offshore or to the far eastern side of the 2508 to find clear air.

It also smells like a giant campfire outside which I guess is an improvement over the normal cow manure smell...

Been the same in northern NV - finally cleared some yesterday...
No smoke:
Smoke: