• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That was the weird thing, though...it wasn't overcast. It was just haze that I'm assuming was coming from the smoke. It had no definition, but was there right up to the NM border. North of the border, clear blue.

Also yesterday...the JPI display frequency wasn't friendly to my iPhone, but it's saying 9.6 GPH. 505 NM (plus a BS reroute by ABQ approach that probably added a few miles) on 37 gallons at 11K'.

50335489986_ba71666006_h.jpg
Wondering what the smoke must be like. I understand most of it is being pushed west out to sea. Just be terrible,

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was the weird thing, though...it wasn't overcast. It was just haze that I'm assuming was coming from the smoke. It had no definition, but was there right up to the NM border. North of the border, clear blue.
I think that is fair. It was very thin and much higher than the 3K feet I maxed out at. I too wondered about CA smoke.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wondering what the smoke must be like. I understand most of it is being pushed west out to sea. Just be terrible,

It looked more like dust suspended in the air, and maybe that's what it was. Wink's the old hand at AZ flying, so I'll leave it to him. But it was weird how it just kept going up to about 12K' or so, but there was no actual clouds.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
It's pretty not fun in Lemoore/Central Valley area, the norm the past couple of weeks has been shooting PARs to near mins and having to fly to fly 100mi offshore or to the far eastern side of the 2508 to find clear air.

It also smells like a giant campfire outside which I guess is an improvement over the normal cow manure smell...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navion is an awesome ride!

Have you lost any airport cafes due to pandemic affects? The place at my home base has closed. The once a month all you can eat Sunday brunch was the best. Umm, cinnamon roll grench toast, green chili eggs, the works. Young woman that ran it started the business as a place to showcase her baking, the rest was a bonus.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

Have you lost any airport cafes due to pandemic affects? The place at my home base has closed. The once a month all you can eat Sunday brunch was the best. Umm, cinnamon roll grench toast, green chili eggs, the works. Young woman that ran it started the business as a place to showcase her baking, the rest was a bonus.
Actually things are starting to reopen. We lost one really good place down near Norfolk (Suffolk, KSFQ) because of COVID but the good ones have held on.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I don’t like that

Dexter open but you ain’t close!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Beautiful afternoon for a local flight. Cool, just enough clouds to keep the sun away but still bright. I decided to do some aerial scouting for the Army of the Potomac near Chancellorsville...maybe I should tell General Hooker about these rebel gun positions...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone have experience or heard reliable reviews on the Stratux ADSB? My Luscombe is battery only. No generator or starter. It gets me out of the ADSB requirement, but I sure would like to big picture without a huge investment, putting any electronic stuff in my classic panel, or taxing the battery more than necessary. The Stratux has it own battery and can use any mini usb equipped spare phone or computer battery. Even provides AHRS info so I can get an atitude gyro and DG on Ipad Foreflight. Guy at my airport raves about it. Has one in his amateur experimental. It is normally do it yourself assembly, but you can get them assembled for just $250.00.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Anyone have experience or heard reliable reviews on the Stratux ADSB? My Luscombe is battery only. No generator or starter. It gets me out of the ADSB requirement, but I sure would like to big picture without a huge investment, putting any electronic stuff in my classic panel, or taxing the battery more than necessary. The Stratux has it own battery and can use any mini usb equipped spare phone or computer battery. Even provides AHRS info so I can get an atitude gyro and DG on Ipad Foreflight. Guy at my airport raves about it. Has one in his amateur experimental. It is normally do it yourself assembly, but you can get them assembled for just $250.00.
I use a Sentry and it works very well. It has yet to drop a signal (although it will happen) and keeps up with the busy DC are traffic. Excellent battery life and quite small.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Anyone have experience or heard reliable reviews on the Stratux ADSB?
A few guys used them in the training command and are generally pretty happy (forward visibility from the rear cockpit of the T-6 is kind of a joke). One of my friends has used one in his Cherokee for a few years and he likes it a lot.