• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Highly recommend the book referenced in the video, My Secret War.

number9

Contributor
Your first task should be to obtain a FAA Third Class medical certificate - and immediatly after, prepare for and take the FAA Private Pilot knowledge test (aka "the written"). So many online resources for this that are paid and free. (e.g., Sporty's, Gleim, MIT Open CourseWare from the MIT Aero Club school offered every year). Dont confuse your efforts to pass the test (75% or better) with being assured that this is all the knowledge you need. The two objectives are best achieved separetly. The test is designed to be passed by a motivated 17 year old with a 100 IQ.
Any suggestions on where I should go to get the medical done, given so many of you guys have ties to Massachusetts?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any suggestions on where I should go to get the medical done, given so many of you guys have ties to Massachusetts?
Any Doc that uses the two window drive through procedure pioneered by Dr. Battersby (RIP). Drop off your Form 8500-8 and pay at the first window, pick up you medical certificate at the second. Just kidding. Seemed like it some times though. You want a pilot advocate who's goal is to get/keep you flying. Settle for nothing less. Your AME should never be used as a primary care doc. IF you have anything you are not sure of, schedule a consult with your AME first. Do not show up with any "questions" on your signed Form 8500. If there is an issue he will tell you how to handle it and not to come back until you are good. You do not want to take the physical and be denied.. Same with current airman certificate holders. Doubts? Consult first, then come back for the physical if the Doc tells you to.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that an EC-135?
I recognize a lot of the glass from the UH-72A (EC-145), but it's single-pilot, and the FLI is even more annoyingly far from the primary flight instruments. Don't get me wrong, I love the FLI, it just sucks having to look so far inside while launching.

Yes. And yeah, I do find myself inside more than I'd prefer when pulling, especially on a hot summer day (or night). There's a 10s transient and gong if you pull past FLI 10 which I'm very thankful for. I don't intentionally pull into it, but it's pretty common to bang into it when wind smacks the giant sail in the back and I have to tap some left pedal.

Since every take off is a form of a CAL take off, I will say that I don't perceive that I drift as much as I do in a -60. Maybe it's the reduced mixing and/or A-TRIM in the -135. Or maybe I'm kidding myself.

Any Doc that uses the two window drive through procedure pioneered by Dr. Battersby (RIP). Drop off your Form 8500-8 and pay at the first window, pick up you medical certificate at the second. Just kidding. Seemed like it some times though.

I know Wink is kidding, and this may not be as big an issue for you, @number9 as someone who is doing this recreationally, but I know a guy who was recently burned by a revolving door doc. He was known for getting you in and out, but the reason for that is because if anything was found to be abnormal, he didn't want to deal with it and would just submit a hold to the FAA. Unfortunatley for my friend, it was cardiac related and probably not something he can get the FAA to walk back, despite being very healthy.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Since every take off is a form of a CAL take off, I will say that I don't perceive that I drift as much as I do in a -60. Maybe it's the reduced mixing and/or A-TRIM in the -135. Or maybe I'm kidding myself.
We specifically looked at this at TPS in the -72. It has great heading hold + level main rotor and plumb tail rotor (instead of 60's 3° and 20° tilts), so it very much likes to launch straight up.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
and then this happened this morning to SA365 Dauphin EMS helo based at my home airport - I68. As @Gatordev can attest - EMS flying is dicey business sometimes. Wirestrike on approach. Crew is OK.

View attachment 35824

I wonder if it was visibility related. Initial images appear to look as if it went down in early morning darkness. Tough and demanding work indeed.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sadly a fire-fighting CH-47 went down last week, in Idaho during a run with both pilots lost.

A photo from the local paper…

This is a video of the helicopter but not of the event.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Sadly a fire-fighting CH-47 went down last week, in Idaho during a run with both pilots lost.

A photo from the local paper…

This is a video of the helicopter but not of the event.
That site requires subscription but did find the names. I read an EAA article about this young lady months ago. Wasn’t her in the accident but tragic nonetheless!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Chuck, do you have any knowledge that the pilot flew helicopters or are you just wildly speculating?
Tongue in cheek remark that I thought was clever and funny. My apologies if it came across inappropriate. And I posted in the context of not skill but rudder input habit on adding power between a jet and a helo - if it was misconstrued in any manner other than that, I'll take my lashes and remember.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wirestrike on approach.

Which is weird, given the size of those lines. I'm wondering if maybe it was a house line and not one of the medium tension lines. This is NOT directed at the pilot...if that was truly the LZ selected by EMS, that is a really shitty LZ.

Here's an LZ that we hate going into during the day. I've only been there once at night and it's even more unpleasant (Google Maps doesn't show the house line that is also coming off the power poles). But even that LZ has more room away from the 15 different wire sections than what appears in the CareFlight news story.