• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

jmcquate

Contributor
I think College Park is in the ADIZ, you could try to land there without the F-16s getting a gun solution on you.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The ones I see all the time:
HMX-1 60s, VH-3s and Plopters
USAF UH-1s
Army 60s
Coast Guard Dolphins
Secret Service Bell 204 (I Think)
Maryland State Police (not sure of type)
Various flavors of Medivac
If you ever spend time on the DC tidal basin/ east potomac park, you’ll also see National Park Service -60s.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think College Park is in the ADIZ, you could try to land there without the F-16s getting a gun solution on you.
I already fly into and out of the airfield closest to the inner ring! A mere two miles from getting an F-16 visit, four miles to getting a laser warning, and six miles to getting shot down!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Dark blue or green I think. This was 15 yrs ago. Ready to be corrected if my info is wrong on the unit/org or color.
Not anymore. The U.S. Park Police (part of the NPS) now fly a single UH-1. Now, the Maryland State Police fly the AW-139. Most the medical helicopters around here are yellow/black EC-135’s.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Here’s a shot of DC’s only “public” heliport near the baseball stadium and just across the river from where Marine One is kept! As far as I can tell, you have to be a member of Congress to land there…or a big donor!

View attachment 35734
This is where DC Metro keeps their two AStars; definitely not a pad you can land your civilian Bell 407 at!

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Not anymore. The U.S. Park Police (part of the NPS) now fly a single UH-1. Now, the Maryland State Police fly the AW-139. Most the medical helicopters around here are yellow/black EC-135’s.
Close; they have some beautiful Bell 412s.. These are actually old photos because one of their newer birds has a new paint scheme!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Close; they have some beautiful Bell 412s.. These are actually old photos because one of their newer birds has a new paint scheme!

You are, of course, correct…but really anything that looks like a duck and quacks like and duck is a UH-1.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Here’s a shot of DC’s only “public” heliport near the baseball stadium and just across the river from where Marine One is kept! As far as I can tell, you have to be a member of Congress to land there…or a big donor!

View attachment 35734
When I was a student in the HTs, we planned a cross country to land there. Unfortunately, the day of, there was a storm system between Pensacola and DC. We decided to go to Austin instead.