• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Currently down at Maxwell AFB on TDY attending the IP Course - aka "learn how to teach 2000 hour C-130/C-17 dudes how to fly a high performance GA piston powered airplane". 10 day course. Reminds me of HITU/FITU. 2 other going through course with me. The flying part of the syllabus done in a fairly new Turbo C206 based here at KMXF. 3.1 hour flight with our GS-15 (retired A-10 driver - great guy). Tomorrow will be with our O-6 CO who was a VT-3 IP in his younger days. I'm sure it will be "2 ET's and a refly" for me! But good times. And good per piem! The highlight was doing short field/soft field to the practice Assault Strip here at KMXF. (2500'). Its chilly here - I underpacked a bit. Driving our new Polaris 4 wheeler gator was also cool. Rando pics below:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Currently down at Maxwell AFB on TDY attending the IP Course - aka "learn how to teach 2000 hour C-130/C-17 dudes how to fly a high performance GA piston powered airplane". 10 day course. Reminds me of HITU/FITU. 2 other going through course with me. The flying part of the syllabus done in a fairly new Turbo C206 based here at KMXF. 3.1 hour flight with our GS-15 (retired A-10 driver - great guy). Tomorrow will be with our O-6 CO who was a VT-3 IP in his younger days. I'm sure it will be "2 ET's and a refly" for me! But good times. And good per piem! The highlight was doing short field/soft field to the practice Assault Strip here at KMXF. (2500'). Its chilly here - I underpacked a bit. Driving our new Polaris 4 wheeler gator was also cool. Rando pics below:

View attachment 33921

View attachment 33922

View attachment 33923

View attachment 33924

Are all of the CAP planes G1000 equipped these days? I remember when they were just rolling those out and only the cool senior squadrons that did a LOT of SAR got them. Also, I'm glad they haven't ditched the electronic direction finding equipment yet. Good times.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone still around Pax River? December 17th the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation will have two AH-1 Cobras at NTPS for training purposes. This is the second time at Pax and looks like it will be a regular thing for each class. Two of the pilots are from the SW Chapter. Both are great guys. Mark is a Vietnam Cobra vet, Boeing Helicopters Chief and Experimental Test Pilot and NTPS grad. Ended up spending years on the Apache. He LOVED flying with the students last time he was there. Other guy I know is Tom. He was also a Vietnam Cobra guy and Huey as well. He was briefly an Eastern Airlines pilot before that evaporated decades ago. He is now a FAA Operations Inspector who is currently working as a simulator certification guy on transport category aircraft advanced sims. He is essentially a simulator test pilot. Tell them Wink said hey. I think they both know the call sign. If not, I am the only Navy guy in the SW Chapter. I hope an AW dude gets to fly with them. Lot of respect from them from the performances of the last class.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Anyone still around Pax River? December 17th the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation will have two AH-1 Cobras at NTPS for training purposes. This is the second time at Pax and looks like it will be a regular thing for each class. Two of the pilots are from the SW Chapter. Both are great guys. Mark is a Vietnam Cobra vet, Boeing Helicopters Chief and Experimental Test Pilot and NTPS grad. Ended up spending years on the Apache. He LOVED flying with the students last time he was there. Other guy I know is Tom. He was also a Vietnam Cobra guy and Huey as well. He was briefly an Eastern Airlines pilot before that evaporated decades ago. He is now a FAA Operations Inspector who is currently working as a simulator certification guy on transport category aircraft advanced sims. He is essentially a simulator test pilot. Tell them Wink said hey. I think they both know the call sign. If not, I am the only Navy guy in the SW Chapter. I hope an AW dude gets to fly with them. Lot of respect from them from the performances of the last class.
You should PM @IKE he is still there I think.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Good times today - flew out of KMXF to Andalusia and Florala. Florala AVGAS truck was inop so gassed up at Andalusia 79J (its no longer "Andalusia-Opp" - but "South Alabama Regional") - nice reliving some memories. I can attest that the cute girl golf cart ride and buffet lunch for mil crews is still going strong! Lots of VT-10 folks enjoying lunch with us.

Quick Speedy shot - nod to @mad dog - VT-2's finest SNA ever!

Buffet is great