• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I just don't understand the regulatory nuances behind it. This isn't directed at the individuals who wear the uniform or use the title, but big picture, given it's the same uniform, I don't understand what responsibilities actually come from it. Or is it purely playing dress up (note, I'm asking something different than the operational responsibilities).

Are they commissioned? Can they operate under Title 10? Do they operate under Title 32? Stuff like that. Again, my questions aren't to rail against the organization. Instead it's from a lack of knowledge.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Interesting. Thanks. But as a government operation, it seems from what Chuck has said, they don't operated under PAO for their aircraft. Or maybe they do, but just follow Part 91 stuff operationally.

@ChuckMK23?
I'm no sea lawyer but I believe CAP operates as Public Aircraft Operations depending on the mission - example being as the USAF Auxiliary on Air Force Assistance Missions (AFAM) - on the aggressor missions for TFR enforcement exercises with ANG. Same when CAP receives tasking from FEMA, DHS, CBP etc. - if CAP is doing an internal "Corporate" mission, its not PAO (Cadet flight training, CAP pilot training/proficiency, etc, internal SAR X's, etc). The vaccine transport missions are PAO.

The waiver for operating under Part 91 yet being able to receive compensation from Federal/State/Local agencies is covered by a waiver from the FAA that specifies the USAF must maintain "operational control" during these operations - hence CAP can fly pax IFR for hire all day long...

Also when I fly as PIC on a proficiency sortie or I am using a CAP aircraft for transportation to an event/conference/exercise (which we do often), I use an Air Combat Command assigned callsign (PARD XX) and I file a DD-175 (or FAA / ICAO flight plan) and we put in the Remarks section "USAF operated contract aircraft".... we have landing rights at any DOD facility and get PPR per IFR Supplement.. When I operate a CAP aircraft as PIC I am under military flight orders and not operating under the privileges of my FAA Airman Certificate...

CAP gets a check from Congress via the NDAA for roughly $60mm annually - USAF administers this "grant". CAP has its own lobby in congress that is very successful.

They love being the USAF AUX (e.g. "Total Force") hence the move from AETC to ACC - yet they also are highly protective of their independence from the military and USAF. Some competing priorities for sure.

CAP is also Cessna / Textron's biggest customer...

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm no sea lawyer but I believe CAP operates as Public Aircraft Operations depending on the mission - example being as the USAF Auxiliary on Air Force Assistance Missions (AFAM) - on the aggressor missions for TFR enforcement exercises with ANG. Same when CAP receives tasking from FEMA, DHS, CBP etc. - if CAP is doing an internal "Corporate" mission, its not PAO (Cadet flight training, CAP pilot training/proficiency, etc, internal SAR X's, etc). The vaccine transport missions are PAO.

My understanding is that you can't bounce back and forth, though. You either operate under the FARs (a big one being Part 43) or you don't. If operating under PAO, then PAO then delineates some sub-document(s) that defines how to operate. For example, for a DoN PAO operation, CNAF documents are designated for governing compliance (3710, 4790, etc).

But if you're operating Part 91 under a waiver, then that certainly suggests operating under the FARs. I guess another way to ask this is how is your maintenance completed? Under the FARs or under some AF program?

I totally get why you're saying what you are about operating under PAO doing those missions, I just have a hard time believing that they operate as Schrodinger's CAP.

ChuckMK23

pilot
My understanding is that you can't bounce back and forth, though. You either operate under the FARs (a big one being Part 43) or you don't. If operating under PAO, then PAO then delineates some sub-document(s) that defines how to operate. For example, for a DoN PAO operation, CNAF documents are designated for governing compliance (3710, 4790, etc).

But if you're operating Part 91 under a waiver, then that certainly suggests operating under the FARs. I guess another way to ask this is how is your maintenance completed? Under the FARs or under some AF program?

I totally get why you're saying what you are about operating under PAO doing those missions, I just have a hard time believing that they operate as Schrodinger's CAP.
I agree - honestly I am still figuring it out myself. Maintenance is all per FAR's as is airworthiness compliance. I flew all over Michigan a few weeks ago auditing airframe, engine, and prop logs...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Flew the last of my AF "checkout" with regional IP yesterday - basically two old guys boring holes in the sky - but the fact that I am getting paid to fly leaves me with a tremendous grin on my face and I feel very grateful. Still getting used to the latest G1000 with the GFC-700 AP with FD. I find the FD a little overkill for a 235 HP airplane, and the AF stan guys spend most of the time on the checkride making sure you know every detail of the automation. So, for a "power+attitude=performance" simple guy, its practice practice practice with the buttonology. Just like @mad dog says with the VNAV in his beloved MD-88, the VNAV in this airplane is equally challenging. Another thing that is puzzling, is the G1000 will not display advisory vertical guidance on RNAV approaches that are "LP" minima where as in my club aircraft wuth 430. 530 or GTN750' I get a glideslope on the identical procedure.

It is nice on an instrument departure in IMC to simply select, HDG and FLC, then NAV and away you go to your first waypoint/leg.

Also did some serious "HAPL/LAPL" practice only the AF calls it "SFL" (Simulated Forced Landing) - instead of "transition, check, feather, clean, select, harness" - its "best glide establish, fuel pump/carb heat on, fuel supply establish, mixture rich.." Oh and the USAF Stan/EVAL guys want the boldface verbatim lol you have to say "fuel pump slash carburetor heat on". Because - culture. ?

Also we are required to master SFL after takeoff at 800' agl with 180 degree turn around to the airport. Sporty!

My first of many monthly boldface exams!

So far I am really enjoying the job. I do feel remarkably fortunate.

I am off to Maxwell AFB the first week of Feb to do a "top off" in the C182, C206 and Airvan G8 (basically a NATOPS check in each aircraft). I have a weekend off during the 10 days I am down there so likely a drive to P'cola will be in order! Because Montgomery Alabama is not the leisure capitol of anything!

Now if I can just master the Defense Travel System!

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Flew the last of my AF "checkout" with regional IP yesterday - basically two old guys boring holes in the sky - but the fact that I am getting paid to fly leaves me with a tremendous grin on my face and I feel very grateful. Still getting used to the latest G1000 with the GFC-700 AP with FD. I find the FD a little overkill for a 235 HP airplane, and the AF stan guys spend most of the time on the checkride making sure you know every detail of the automation. So, for a "power+attitude=performance" simple guy, its practice practice practice with the buttonology. Just like @mad dog says with the VNAV in his beloved MD-88, the VNAV in this airplane is equally challenging. Another thing that is puzzling, is the G1000 will not display advisory vertical guidance on RNAV approaches that are "LP" minima where as in my club aircraft wuth 430. 530 or GTN750' I get a glideslope on the identical procedure.

It is nice on an instrument departure in IMC to simply select, HDG and FLC, then NAV and away you go to your first waypoint/leg.

Also did some serious "HAPL/LAPL" practice only the AF calls it "SFL" (Simulated Forced Landing) - instead of "transition, check, feather, clean, select, harness" - its "best glide establish, fuel pump/carb heat on, fuel supply establish, mixture rich.." Oh and the USAF Stan/EVAL guys want the boldface verbatim lol you have to say "fuel pump slash carburetor heat on". Because - culture. ?

Also we are required to master SFL after takeoff at 800' agl with 180 degree turn around to the airport. Sporty!

View attachment 29119

View attachment 29121

I am off to Maxwell AFB the first week of Feb to do a "top off" in the C182, C206 and Airvan G8 (basically a NATOPS check in each aircraft). I have a weekend off during the 10 days I am down there so likely a drive to P'cola will be in order! Because Montgomery Alabama is not the leisure capitol of anything!
Great stuff @ChuckMK23

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

View attachment 29119

View attachment 29121

Now if I can just master the Defense Travel System!
Awesome. These days I don't think I could master a new C-182 equipped like that. Out of a FMS airline cockpit for too long and the only GA I fly is uber VFR. One radio, transponder, no nav. Just your description makes my brain hurt. And the verbatim procedure read back, ? . Small price to pay for a good gig though.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It is very controlled and briefed & its a good lesson in AOA/energy management.....

I'm sure it is.

I'm also of the opinion that most engine failure on climb out fatalities would have been avoided if the GA mishap aircraft had managed airspeed better straight ahead and picked the best off field landing site vice attempting to turn back and eating it in a wing low stall to OCF to ground impact at 4000+ FPM VSI. I'm sure you guys have 800' for a reason as it gives enough energy to make it back to the field in most cases, but the negative habit transfer of trying to return to the field when energy state (include DA calculation and consideration of winds, traffic, aircraft weight and performance, stall margin etc in that 4 seconds of reaction time) is below that makes that training a huge risk.

For instance, you can make the field most of the time in a t-6 from the engine failure at the 180/downwind...but your reactions AND circumstances have to be really effing good. Goon it up even a little bit and you're at the wrong side of the ejection envelope...Low, Slow, high sink rate, and potentially departing controlled flight. I know that's not apples to apples, but there's a reason we don't even train IPs to that standard...if we did, odds are most are going to stick with the airplane to try vice giving it back to the taxpayers from a safer position in the pattern.

taxi1

pilot
It is very controlled and briefed & its a good lesson in AOA/energy management.....
It was discussed in my recent (couple of months ago) CFII refresher.

The FAA now states matter-of-factly in paragraph A.11.4 of Advisory Circular 61-83J dated September 13, 2018, that “flight instructors should demonstrate and teach trainees when and how to make a safe 180-degree turnback to the field after an engine failure.”

Never in a million years did I expect that the FAA would come to my rescue. The impossible turn is now considered possible.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was discussed in my recent (couple of months ago) CFII refresher.

The FAA now states matter-of-factly in paragraph A.11.4 of Advisory Circular 61-83J dated September 13, 2018, that “flight instructors should demonstrate and teach trainees when and how to make a safe 180-degree turnback to the field after an engine failure.”

Never in a million years did I expect that the FAA would come to my rescue. The impossible turn is now considered possible.
WOW! I didn't know there was a change here. I never would have thought the FAA would consider this. No spin training, but hey, give a turn back your best shot. I for one think it can be done if you know your plane's performance have practiced and know the absolute floor. Never say never. Most GA pilots are not that proficient or knowledgeable, so I think the FAA changing tune is surprising. @ChuckMK23 is this just something for CAP pilots at your level and qualification, ie senior/ regional evaluators, or do all the CAP pilots get this?

ChuckMK23

pilot
@ChuckMK23 is this just something for CAP pilots at your level and qualification, ie senior/ regional evaluators, or do all the CAP pilots get this?
@wink I do not see it in the CAP maneuver guide - but it is in ours as a checkride task (CAP-USAF). I've enjoyed he Simulated Forced Landing maneuvers because we do them all the way to touchdown on an airport - either from 3000' AGL (high) or 1000' AGL (low). I think its an AF culture thing. Its reminiscent to me as an IP in the HT's doing full autos to touchdown.

CAP though - the volunteer pilots, typically fly less dynamically and there are more guard rails since the experience levels are more diverse. We use the same structure and regs as any other ACC squadron - and that one size fits all AF process doesn't always work for flying little planes for example pilot qual and training are all done via a tool called Patriot Excalibur - and its great for an F-16 pilot in Korea but is overkill for us.