• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well that's probably not good...

51043611542_8ae35d3019_h.jpg

From a couple of weeks ago. I feel your pain, Chuck. It took me 4 hours to go 335nm on this same trip, and the majority of the flight I had 40-45 in the face. At least it was mostly smooth until the end.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I’ll double post this, sending it over movies chat as well, but this looks interesting.

?

I hadn't clicked on this thread when I posted the same thing to the movies thread. Looks like both of us probably get the daily AOPA email.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting aircraft at the field today, 1976 Gazelle. Starts with rotor brake ON like a Navy helo! Aircraft had an EXPERIMENTAL sticker on it.. Rotor spins in wrong direction!

View attachment 30373
Former Royal Army ship, I’ll bet. Some guy out west bought a bunch as surplus and has been converting them for civilian use. Can’t get them out of the Experimental category because they are “warbirds.”
Nice looking ship.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Well with an afternoon free on my last day of TDY here at KCOS, what's an intrepid aviator to do? Find an unused airplane and schedule himself for a little mountain flying expedition, that's what! Explored some of the passes around Pike's Peak and practiced some high elevation traffic pattern ops. Its been years since I had flown in the mountains, so a little self directed ORM. Airplane is a Turbo 182T, so I had 32" of MP on demand to power my way out of any trouble, I was solo and relatively light on fuel, so good gross weight performance margins, and I took a very low workload path after briefing with some of the local IP's. If mountain wave turbulence became a problem the gouge was to go on O2 and climb to 15.k or greater. So off I went. KCOS - KCOS... Pike's Peak in the middle (dark brown spot, at 14.5K. Westbound VFR at 12.5, Eastbound at 11.5

Stop at KANK (challenging x-winds)

Older Gen 1 G1000 with not-integrated KAP-140 AP

Post flight fuel-up next to a J model C-130...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Well with an afternoon free on my last day of TDY here at KCOS, what's an intrepid aviator to do? Find an unused airplane and schedule himself for a little mountain flying expedition, that's what! Explored some of the passes around Pike's Peak and practiced some high elevation traffic pattern ops. Its been years since I had flown in the mountains, so a little self directed ORM. Airplane is a Turbo 182T, so I had 32" of MP on demand to power my way out of any trouble, I was solo and relatively light on fuel, so good gross weight performance margins, and I took a very low workload path after briefing with some of the local IP's. If mountain wave turbulence became a problem the gouge was to go on O2 and climb to 15.k or greater. So off I went. KCOS - KCOS... Pike's Peak in the middle (dark brown spot, at 14.5K. Westbound VFR at 12.5, Eastbound at 11.5

View attachment 30436

View attachment 30440

View attachment 30437

Stop at KANK (challenging x-winds)

View attachment 30438

Older Gen 1 G1000 with not-integrated KAP-140 AP
View attachment 30439

Post flight fuel-up next to a J model C-130...

View attachment 30441
You got a beautiful day to tool around the Rockies!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Edit: couldn't have been chuck buzzing over my house today...missed that he did his flights yesterday. Too bad, the flying weather is even better today. No wind, blue skies, mid 70s.

If I didn't have to go pick up my curtain climber from toddler jail here in a few hours, I'd sit out back and drink beer.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Edit: couldn't have been chuck buzzing over my house today...missed that he did his flights yesterday. Too bad, the flying weather is even better today. No wind, blue skies, mid 70s.

If I didn't have to go pick up my curtain climber from toddler jail here in a few hours, I'd sit out back and drink beer.
We had 10+ aircraft at Peterson - I departed early Friday for home (DTS commercial air). But a lot of folks stayed the weekend to put hours on the assorted aircraft. We used Hangar 140 as our base for the event...

On the other side of our hangar were these guys:

And across from our aircraft were some pretty sweet vehicles - armored Land Cruisers and Suburbans all with SATCOM (@mad dog is all about the cop cars)

These dudes had their own private weight room (you can see rack behind vehicles).

The scene looked great with our aircraft lined up against Old Glory:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I always wanted 70 series cruiser. I liked the up armored ones overseas but they were slow as balls.

The 200s start at 90,000. I haven't done much research but I'd be surprised if Toyota sold enough of them stateside to justify bringing the next generation here.