• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I washed many a green helo and OV-10 and was told the same thing, and I also thought it was stupid, since this is the GA thread, this is my flight from Monday, was going to be longer but my airspeed indicator died again, so I returned and pulled it out to send off to be rebuilt, now I am grounded for a bit, and if you are wondering why I kept flying, a J-3 flies long before the A/S comes alive.

In a J-3 all you need for airspeed is “faster than walking” and “faster than jogging.”

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Never knew this about SG - my club uses it by the case and has for decades. Granted its pretty diluted by the time it is applied to an aircraft - also all the A&P's I know use it. YMMV.

People use it because it's very effective. I used it when I cleaned planes at the flight school I worked at in high school. But using it on a GA plane is a different environment than on a helicopter at sea with a whole bunch of dissimilar metal parts.

I get that there's a lot of lore out there about cleaning products, but I first learned that from my AM(H)C Det Chief when I was a Det MO, and he was pretty sharp on metal and corrosion. I heard it again later on the GA side. I personally don't use it on the belly of my plane, but obviously that's different than all the nooks and crannies of a helo. I think not getting it thoroughly rinsed out in some places and exfoliation is where one of the big concerns is.

I thought it was left over right?

I thought it was outboard over inboard, which would technically mean you're correct...half the time.

Ironically, who did I learn that from? One Mr. @Steve Wilkins

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Your questions have exceeded my knowledges of naval aircraft cleaning. The answer that LT Pags, Det QAO was happy with from the E-8 was "because the pubs say to do it that way L-T, that's why."

This was followed by some BSing from the AWs and AMs about how the cleaner could damage the finish or something. Who knows how accurate that is.
What happened to the “wax on...wax off” model of warrior cleaning?

Pags

N/A
pilot
People use it because it's very effective. I used it when I cleaned planes at the flight school I worked at in high school. But using it on a GA plane is a different environment than on a helicopter at sea with a whole bunch of dissimilar metal parts.

I get that there's a lot of lore out there about cleaning products, but I first learned that from my AM(H)C Det Chief when I was a Det MO, and he was pretty sharp on metal and corrosion. I heard it again later on the GA side. I personally don't use it on the belly of my plane, but obviously that's different than all the nooks and crannies of a helo. I think not getting it thoroughly rinsed out in some places and exfoliation is where one of the big concerns is.

I thought it was outboard over inboard, which would technically mean you're correct...half the time.

Ironically, who did I learn that from? One Mr. @Steve Wilkins
I was taught left over right. A brief google leads me to believe it's not actually specified in regs and whatever you learn is dependent on whoever was doing your initial training.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
My only experience being following the instructions at the DIY car wash, I always assumed bottom-to-top was so you can keep track of where you've applied soap. If you start at the top, how can you tell what's been scrubbed vs. dripped upon?

Also, I'm surprised, but kudos for only going to left-to-right from bottom-to-top. There are many other -to- places the interwebs could've gone to.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was in Orlando this past weekend. Stumbled upon this covert chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation in the jungles of Orlando. Felt bad about missing a work detail with the AAHF back home, so lashed up with these guys and helped with a rotor swap. Sharp bunch of dudes. Their uniform standardization was impeccable. Knowledge of the parts and materials of helicopters of this type made for cost effective and time saving component substitutions and streamlined maintenance procedures. True quiet professionals.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My only experience being following the instructions at the DIY car wash, I always assumed bottom-to-top was so you can keep track of where you've applied soap. If you start at the top, how can you tell what's been scrubbed vs. dripped upon?

Also, I'm surprised, but kudos for only going to left-to-right from bottom-to-top. There are many other -to- places the interwebs could've gone to.
By using your brain to remember?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My son detailed cars. He does awesome work. Very particular. He goes top to bottom, but ALWAYS uses the two bucket method and micro fibers. He has two classes of micro fibers. Class A and Class B. Class As are always laundered separately with special detergent. Class Bs may be washed with other items. Class A are stored in sealed bags so dust doesn't get on them. He drives me nuts. He won't ever let me help him. Thought he was going to rip my throat out when I dropped a sponge once.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My son detailed cars. He does awesome work. Very particular. He goes top to bottom, but ALWAYS uses the two bucket method and micro fibers. He has two classes of micro fibers. Class A and Class B. Class As are always laundered separately with special detergent. Class Bs may be washed with other items. Class A are stored in sealed bags so dust doesn't get on them. He drives me nuts. He won't ever let me help him. Thought he was going to rip my throat out when I dropped a sponge once.

I detailed cars when I was in my teens. I live with a wife who, let's just say, did not work as a car detailer. There aren't many sticking points or pet peeves in our marriage, but her inattention to detail when it comes to cleaning her car is one of them.

I think she's just employing my dishwasher loading technique where if I do it poorly enough often enough, she will just sigh exasperatedly and do it for me. She's learned my Jedi mind trick.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Bottom up, Outboard in, Wheel well first. Cant remember what the corrosion control manual was based on (4790?) That's what the course taught.
Always did outboard in for comfort with bootlaces. Still do, and wear white socks when ever I want.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I’ll double post this, sending it over movies chat as well, but this looks interesting.