• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rand study on USAF pilot retention

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have P-8 ordies invented urban legends of people getting cut in two by the weapons bay doors yet?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Have P-8 ordies invented urban legends of people getting cut in two by the weapons bay doors yet?
Dunno... but it's one way to address the pilot shortage. Twice as many bodies running around.

(Where's my NAM?)

SlickAg

pilot
I know reddit usually gets a bit of hate on here, but here's a relevant AMA from the air force subreddit today

I’m Brig Gen Short, Director of the Aircrew Task Force. Ask me anything!
“The SecAF and Chief both supported an increase to $60k "pro-pay" (similar to doctor pay) in the FY20 budget. This was not supported by the other services, and thus not supported by OSD and was not put in the budget. The USMC and Navy want to see the results of the increase of the AvB to $35k before supporting additional bonus/pro-pay. The USMC take rate for their fixed wing AvB was 78% last year-- although their bonus is structured differently than the Air Force's.”

-Brig Gen Short

It’s cool that you can get the straight scoop about your service’s issues by reading a Reddit thread about a different service’s issues.

Sure hope the $10k/year moves the needle...

A Day In The Life

pilot
“The SecAF and Chief both supported an increase to $60k "pro-pay" (similar to doctor pay) in the FY20 budget. This was not supported by the other services, and thus not supported by OSD and was not put in the budget. The USMC and Navy want to see the results of the increase of the AvB to $35k before supporting additional bonus/pro-pay.

Has the Navy actually done one thing to help the retention issue?

Oh well, at least it'll be entertaining to watch PERS-43 try to explain the abysmal VFA DH slate again.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
“The SecAF and Chief both supported an increase to $60k "pro-pay" (similar to doctor pay) in the FY20 budget. This was not supported by the other services, and thus not supported by OSD and was not put in the budget. The USMC and Navy want to see the results of the increase of the AvB to $35k before supporting additional bonus/pro-pay. The USMC take rate for their fixed wing AvB was 78% last year-- although their bonus is structured differently than the Air Force's.”

Hah...

Hahahahahah...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
What he said. Could they slap on new wings, carve out some of the fuselage and put in a weapons bay? Yea, probably. Likely wouldnt be worth it though. They'd be better off buying them as bounce birds and letting the pilots screw them up through repeatedly crashing them into the ground vice doing it with places that have mission electronics permanently installed...

That’s actually a great idea. Get a couple -700s or other NG series and use them as bounce and trash haulers for dets.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That’s actually a great idea. Get a couple -700s or other NG series and use them as bounce and trash haulers for dets.
Good luck. USMC was funded to buy two C-40’s in the current budget and they still fucked it away. Congress: here’s $180+ million, buy two C-40’s to replace your C-9’s in the boneyard. NAVAIR and USMC: Boeing raised the price and we can’t figure it out. Here’s the money back, we have no planes now.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

-Brig Gen Short

It’s cool that you can get the straight scoop about your service’s issues by reading a Reddit thread about a different service’s issues.

Sure hope the $10k/year moves the needle...
Funny, it wasn’t that long ago that PERS was telling us that they couldn’t do anything about the bonus because they were stuck playing second fiddle to the AF and that the AF didn’t want to propose raising the bonus.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None

I'd love to take credit, but this was a much discussed solution to the great SNS Chassis shortage of 2015/2016. Ultimately the Boeing subcontractor just started producing more of them so they can be replaced more frequently instead of actually fixing the problem (by putting some type of shock absorption into the electronics racks).

This is the same reason why you see P-3C AIPs on the flight line at the Q - not worth it to bounce the actual birds in case they break.