• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rand study on USAF pilot retention

Rycast

@Python1287 I had about the same flight time as you. I did 1.5 deployments (both OIR) and a full set of work ups and left my JO tour with ~770 total FA-18 hours. We were clearly the have-nots as we transitioned from legacy Hornets to... legacy Super Hornets. Around 180 of those hours are mostly sitting at Max E and tagging tankers (with the occasional drop). One of the more frustrating times in the squadron was when it took 6 weeks to get a Level 3 DBFM attempt out because we had zero up jets. There are several months in my logbook with 5 hours or less.
I left my first fleet squadron with around 630 total Hornet hours and <100 in the last 365 I think, and I know some guys that were way below that total #.

Like someone said, it’s comical that the ANG flies more capable aircraft and does more of the fighting than active units.

As a current SNA, I'm curious how these statistics stand roughly 1 year later (2020). How many flight hours are VFA squadrons getting? Is there a mass exodus of pilots? How has corona/airline issues affected retention?

Rycast

I'm mainly wondering if the majority of people in this thread would do it all over again. 10 years is a long time.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I'm mainly wondering if the majority of people in this thread would do it all over again. 10 years is a long time.

I always hated the "10 years is a long time" argument. Who cares? For me, those 10 years were the BEST possible way to spend my 20s. Adventure, friendships, great pay and job security, and most importantly, 10 years of flying jets for the Navy.

It's not like it's 10 years of Initech from Office Space. It's 10 years of something awesome. Would absolutely do it over again in every scenario. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something awesome.

Years 11+, are a different story.

Pags

N/A
pilot
10yrs seems like a long time when you're 20 (it seems like half a lifetime!) but, in the grand scheme of life, it isn't. I've been out of the military completely since I didn't do the reserve thing for 6yrs. The time I spent ACDU is quickly becoming a distant and fond memory.

Yes, I would do it again.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Those 10 years seem like a long time to some people, others not so much.

Back in college I didn't understand why so many first year students were "arts, undeclared" instead of picking a major... any major. Surely everyone has two or three things to pick from that they're good enough at, enjoy enough to study, and is marketable enough that they wouldn't be living on the pogey after graduation.

For whatever reason, some people get frozen into indecision on this stuff.

Me, I was secretly afraid of having to explain to family and friends if I got rejected from the selection process or if I failed out of flight school. Sure glad I didn't chicken out.

Deere1450

pilot
As much as I’m ready to get out at ~year 9, I’d do it again for sure. Priorities change, life changes, and it’s time to move on. But at 22, I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. I didn’t even think about the commitment. I think 10 years service is perfect. I did something fun, rewarding and challenging. And now I’m about to get out and I’m still pretty young, with another opportunity to do whatever.

Rycast

I would probably agree if I were still in my 20s. I just hit 30 while at OCS, so I'll probably be 40-42 before I can even think about leaving.

There's also a disconnect between me and the other students. I guess I joined too late in life. A lot of these kids are very gung-ho (one said, "I can't wait to kill some commies"), and they think ethics / case studies classes are stupid. But I can't help but hear a lot of the case studies on ethics of war (Vietnam / Iraq) or admirals getting fired over no-win situations, and I start doubting things. Posts like these make me doubt more:

This is the shit n00b debbils (and to a similar extent) baby squids need to be paying attention to, not how to do pull ups or write motarded statements or whatever the fuck else they do before you show up at flight school.

You are going to give an organization some of the best years of your life and they are going to thank you by trying to rawdog you with a sandpaper dildo at the halfway point and actively take away options for your future.

No one is going to tell you this shit can or is happening before you sign away a decade of your life. Think about what that says about the character of those organizations and their leaders.

I can see where y'all are coming from, though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I would probably agree if I were still in my 20s. I just hit 30 while at OCS, so I'll probably be 40-42 before I can even think about leaving.

There's also a disconnect between me and the other students. I guess I joined too late in life. A lot of these kids......

Larger discussion aside, I'd definitely put forth some effort into getting past whatever disconnect you feel there is. Plenty of those ENS aren't 22 yo either. You're gonna need those dudes/dudettes on your team to get through the next couple years of flight school (I assume that's where you are heading?). Having an attitude of "those kids" is probably not the best one to have.

Back to the discussion point, I punched out of active duty at the 12 year mark, at age 37. Still have plenty of years ahead, not really that concerned. I'd echo what others said, I'm lucky to have gotten to do all this stuff. I wouldn't have had the same employment opportunities (or income prospects) on the outside, had I not done this first.