• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Let me rephrase: To solve the problem of recidivism, you'd have to suppress records. Most companies have blanket policies to not hire and/or to fire anyone who has any LEO interaction.

You could educate the next Dr. House in prison and it won't mean jack if no one will hire him.

That's the trade space

You could suppress records. Or, you could incentivize retraining and hiring of convicts through programs like tax breaks, job matching, etc. Match the rehab program to the crime, instead of lumping everyone together in a general population. Things like that.

The best solution probably involves some of all of the above, while still upholding the need to prevent sex offenders from working in daycare centers, etc.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Up until about 18 months ago it was very hard to get hired.
I agree.

When I applied to the Cincinnati Police Department in 2002 following pilot furlough at Delta Air Lines, it was the beginning of an 18 month application process with 9 separate phases. When the first phase of the process began with the civil service exam, there were several thousand applicants for 60 slots in the Cincinnati Police Academy. After the completion of each phase, the applicant pool was reduced by about half. Due to the Cincinnati riots in 2001 and not being able to get the number of local applicants that they needed, the Cincinnati Police recruited outside the city by recruiting at other major cities in the country. After all was said and done and I was eventually hired, I would honestly say that it was the longest and most competitive application process that I’ve ever been through...it made applying to AOCS and applying to Delta Air Lines look like a walk in the park [Kazansky]. Also, I was fortunate to have been able to utilize 5 military veteran points added to my civil service exam score...without those 5 points, I would not have made the points cut and would not have been hired.

It’s also worth noting that while I was in the application process with the Cincinnati Police, I was also in the application process with a few smaller suburban police departments in our county...and I did not make it through any of their application processes due to being cut.

exNavyOffRec

You could suppress records. Or, you could incentivize retraining and hiring of convicts through programs like tax breaks, job matching, etc. Match the rehab program to the crime, instead of lumping everyone together in a general population. Things like that.

The best solution probably involves some of all of the above, while still upholding the need to prevent sex offenders from working in daycare centers, etc.
suppressing records goes against the whole open public records thought, now incentivizing companies with tax breaks is something that I hope would work.

taxi1

pilot
Things change fast! I think I told @taxi1 that the Army wouldn’t rush to change base names...but the Senate is making me quite wrong. There will be lot of work for sign shops in the near future.

I waffled between “within my lifetime” and “in the next few years or so” in prepping my original post. Don’t recommend following my stock tips.

Sergeant Benevidas (sp?) is often discussed for Fort Hood. Green Beret MOH winner. Could do worse.

GroundPounder

Without any comment on current names, I think that coming up with new names will be quite difficult in this environment. What human being well known enough to serve as a namesake will not have done or said something that would make them controversial? I don't envy the group that has to come up with that list of possible candidates to honor.

Quick edit to recognize what Taxi1 said, I think MOH holders would be a good place to start, but that is going to turn into a demographic fight on all sides. An argument could be made to include each service's second highest awards to recognize the fact that there were times in the past where some members of the armed forces were not treated fairly when it came to MOH recommendations. Good luck to them.

Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez, anything that honors his service has my vote.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I waffled between “within my lifetime” and “in the next few years or so” in prepping my original post. Don’t recommend following my stock tips.

Sergeant Benevidas (sp?) is often discussed for Fort Hood. Green Beret MOH winner. Could do worse.
There are a lot of great names out there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Without any comment on current names, I think that coming up with new names will be quite difficult in this environment. What human being well known enough to serve as a namesake will not have done or said something that would make them controversial? I don't envy the group that has to come up with that list of possible candidates to honor.

Quick edit to recognize what Taxi1 said, I think MOH holders would be a good place to start, but that is going to turn into a demographic fight on all sides.

Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez, anything that honors his service has my vote.

They don't have to be 'well known' by any stretch, and like @Griz882 says there are plenty of great names out there. We've named hundreds of ships after Navy and Marine heroes and there are only 10 bases that are named after confederates, plenty of distinguished Army veterans to choose from.

A new Fort Baker would be a fine choice, honoring not just one but two Medal of Honor recipients, along with a new Fort Davis as well, named after father and son general officers with long and distinguished careers (son went to West Point and started in the Army).

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
On first swipe here are some names I came up for bases with the idea of keeping the names somewhat regional or related...

Fort Lee (VA) could become Fort George Henry Thomas.

Fort Bragg (NC) could become Fort William C. Lee.

Fort Benning (GA) could become Fort Courtney Hodges

Fort AP Hill (VA) could be Fort Emil Kapuan

Fort Gordon (GA) could be Fort Henry O. Flipper

Fort Hood (TX) could become Fort Eisenhower

Fort Polk (LA) could become Fort Gordon Johnston

Fort Rucker (AL) could become Fort Eugene Bullard

Fort Pickett (VA) could simply become Camp Blackstone

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
They don't have to be 'well known' by any stretch, and like @Griz882 says there are plenty of great names out there. We've named hundreds of ships after Navy and Marine heroes and there are only 10 bases that are named after confederates, plenty of distinguished Army veterans to choose from.

A new Fort Baker would be a fine choice, honoring not just one but two Medal of Honor recipients, along with a new Fort Davis as well, named after father and son general officers with long and distinguished careers (son went to West Point and started in the Army).
I’ll be the one to say it...but I do feel “sorry” (as in for the sense of history) when the changes come to places like Maury Hall at the Naval Academy. Yes, Maury was a Confederate naval officer, but his contributions to science and the nation go well beyond that. The bill requires the removal of all names related to the Confederacy, but some, without some thought, will be hollow.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Things change fast! I think I told @taxi1 that the Army wouldn’t rush to change base names...but the Senate is making me quite wrong. There will be lot of work for sign shops in the near future.

All those poor Admin O’s ?

What a paperwork nightmare. Countless base instructions, SOPs, etc. that will need to be rewritten for the sake of political correctness ??‍♂️

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another improvement in LE I'd like to see. Every Agency should be accredited. There is more than one accrediting institution, I don't know if any are diploma mills. The ones I am familiar with are very good and accreditation can take a good long while and requires review and re-accreditation. The current suggestions tie federal money to stupid things. DOJ can approve accreditation institutions and require LE agencies get accredit from one of them to receive Federal funds. In the case of small agencies or those with that can't afford it, the Feds can cost share the process and any training or equipment required of accreditation. I do not want to see DOJ as the accrediting institution. No point. A waste of money. The programs are out there. DOJ can review them and approve the best that meet certain minimum standards. The very best programs will exceed the DOJ minimum by way of competition with rival accrediting institutions. Something you would not get if only DOJ was in the business.