• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RA-5C story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I interpreted all of Mr. 05's posts as those of an overzealous gamer. I don't think he explicitly claimed to be a NA... just never dismissed the possibility "implicating" him as such. Maybe he is a 40-year PPL... maybe he's this

_1121814669.jpg

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
He's got a profile on http://combatace.com/. Apparently he's a senior member. His profile is scarce, but one of the posts says his name is John Shelton.

Reading through some of his posts he sounds like a complete dork. Not that pilots aren't in general :)icon_wink just keeding guys), but this one's pretty out there. Like, skeeterman out there

Anyone wanting to waste some time can log onto the site using my info:

Username= gucciboomer
password= cincoislame

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
a little confused...mixing statements of reality and clips from a game.

I think maybe so ???

Excerpts from http://www.yankeeairpirate.net/stories.html

"Aviation and war in Asia is the family business.....

Some of the stories in Yankee Air Pirate were told to me by my flight instructors at Williams Air Force Base in 1967 where I was training to fill their seats in Rolling Thunder.....

My first assignment was an F-4C and D and E. I trained in Tucson. One Friday night at the bar, a tall grim character entered with his hat on and bought a round. That was Robin Olds. He was coaxed into telling about the raid on the Thai Nguyen Steelworks and I watched the eyes of combat veterans and babies like me stare at a man who was what a fighter pilot was supposed to be....

I flew 238 combat missions from Da Nang to targets in South Vietnam, North Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

John Shelton"

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Roger that & yeah ... but see, here's the deal-io:

It's NOT a "real" term ... it was NEVER used in the ol' days. The Zoomies would call us squids, swabbies, swab-jockeys, and so forth ... but not "rust-pickers". It's something that gamers and/or movies have conjured up. IT ISN'T "REAL" ... :)

And I think that answers most of MY questions re: "zerocinco" ... and WTF is that supposed to represent?? An O-5 ??? :sleep_125

Whoa, whoa, hold on. . .Do you mean to tell me that not everything I find on the internet is accurate? :eek:

Thank you, though, my knowledges have increased. :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First I thought this guy was just trying to swagger with tales of virtual heroism. Stupid, but whatever, one day he'll move out of his mom's basement. But those posts seem to indicate he's crossed the line either confusing his computer prowess with actual air combat, or he's deliberately lying.

Either way, it makes me wonder what his motive was for showing up here trolling for Viggie stories. Figured it was for building scenarios for this game he's into, but now I gotta wonder if he's going to try and add some more stories to his bullshit repetoire. "So there I was, on exchange tour with the Navy's famed Vigilante reconnaissance squadrons, brought in because Robin Olds told the rust-pickers all what a natural I was at this game..."

How do you tell a poser/faker?
- Hints at tales of derring-do, but when asked for details, retreats into "the memories are too painful," "It's classified," etc
- Doesn't know how to use slang. This is usually the first thing that trips people's antenna, especially when they use stuff that only shows up in Hollywood or Tom Clancy. "Rust-picker"? If a guy ever tells you he was a Navy pilot and refers to "landing on a flat-top," he's full of shit.
- More interested in stories full of stuff blowing up than in the kind of silly nonsense that real Ready Room BS is made of. Notice how the OP kind of rolled his eyes at the Ubon divert story.
- Tells tales that sound suspiciously like a movie plot. I had a guy at an airshow tell me about how he ejected from an A-6 in Vietnam and his B/N broke his back on landing but was still calling in airstrikes around him. Me: "Wow, that's something. So, what's Willem Defoe like in real life?"
200px-Flight_of_the_intruder.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
First I thought this guy was just trying to swagger with tales of virtual heroism. Stupid, but whatever, one day he'll move out of his mom's basement. But those posts seem to indicate he's crossed the line either confusing his computer prowess with actual air combat, or he's deliberately lying.

Either way, it makes me wonder what his motive was for showing up here trolling for Viggie stories. Figured it was for building scenarios for this game he's into, but now I gotta wonder if he's going to try and add some more stories to his bullshit repetoire. "So there I was, on exchange tour with the Navy's famed Vigilante reconnaissance squadrons, brought in because Robin Olds told the rust-pickers all what a natural I was at this game..."

How do you tell a poser/faker?
- Hints at tales of derring-do, but when asked for details, retreats into "the memories are too painful," "It's classified," etc
- Doesn't know how to use slang. This is usually the first thing that trips people's antenna, especially when they use stuff that only shows up in Hollywood or Tom Clancy. "Rust-picker"? If a guy ever tells you he was a Navy pilot and refers to "landing on a flat-top," he's full of shit.
- More interested in stories full of stuff blowing up than in the kind of silly nonsense that real Ready Room BS is made of. Notice how the OP kind of rolled his eyes at the Ubon divert story.
- Tells tales that sound suspiciously like a movie plot. I had a guy at an airshow tell me about how he ejected from an A-6 in Vietnam and his B/N broke his back on landing but was still calling in airstrikes around him. Me: "Wow, that's something. So, what's Willem Defoe like in real life?"
200px-Flight_of_the_intruder.jpg

On top of that, the moment you question these bozo's, their reaction is a good sign as well. It's usually anger, how dare you question me or I don't have to prove myself to anyone... but they'll never answer the question. They attempt to turn it around, to make you the bad guy. Once caught, I relish in crushing their e-spirit :D

So I'm at an airshow, in La Crosse actually, circa 2000. I'm standing in front of the might war COD and an older gentleman in a flight suit starts talking to me. He's flying one of the older prop planes, a T-6 Texan I beleive. He starts talking about flying stories and how he was flying in an F-16 with a foreign aviator and had to talk him through the victory. At one point I asked him if he had flown in a COD (just curious) and he rudely said he doesn't fly in that crap, he fly's in F-16's. The fly's in was what peaked my curiosity. There were a bunch of guys with him, wearing flight suits around the old airplanes and I started asking about them, what they did and their background. Turns out that old fart was never a military pilot, he was a retired chief. He got some rides in an F-16 but of course he made it out that he was the flyer. Now he never said he was an F-16 pilot but implied in his talking. So as the day goes on, I've got a long line of people wanting to go inside the COD. This old dude would often walk by and I would point and tell folks (basically yelling out loud), that guy fly's in F-16's, he actually fly's in them, etc, every time he walked by. Want to act like a big shit, I'll treat you like one.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Either way, it makes me wonder what his motive was for showing up here trolling for Viggie stories. Figured it was for building scenarios for this game he's into, but now I gotta wonder if he's going to try and add some more stories to his bullshit repetoire.

Who know's, the life and times of Airwarrior's own resident rust picker A4's, may end up imortalized in YAP world. All based on past Airwarriors threads.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
JohnLovitz.jpg

I lied about my age and joined the Navy. I was thirteen at the time. Yeah.. I was a Navy fighter pilot went to Vietnam, and I was injured catching a SAM in my teeth. And they made me a three-star admiral!

And then I got a job in journalism, writing for the National Enquire.. er, Geographic! Yeah.. I was making twenty thousand a ye.. month! In fact, I won the Pulitzer Prize that year! Yeah, that's the ticket.

And then my cousin died - Joe Louis - and I took it hard. Maybe too hard - I tried to kill myself. Yeahh.. I did kill myself! Sure! I was medically dead for a week and a half! Why, I - I even have my picture on the cover of Newsweek magazine. Yeah. Every day! Yeah.. that's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Whether the guy is "real" or not -- he didn't know how to come across very well on AW's and rapidly lost credibility in the arena of Naval Aviation ... and in this case, that's all that counts.

I think we're done here ... LOCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.