• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

quick question about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldahla

so the 8 yrs (or whatever term it is)...people have different ideas about it and when it begins....it seems like it SHOULD start right after OCS...but it seems like the previous two comments they didn't agree. does anyone know for sure when the contract year starts from??

kelly

D_macs Wife
Ok here is how it goes. My husband was in the BDCP program also. He is now in OCS, then off to be a pilot. It takes about two years to get through all the training after OCS. Your commitment starts when you get your wings. At this point my husband already has 3 years with the Navy, which none of it goes towards his commitment time which is 8 years. By the time he gets his wings he will have about five years with the Navy. The good thing about your training time, and OCS is the time goes towards your retirment, and your pay. So example: He will have 6 years prior (OCS and Training) then his 8 year commitment so he will have a total of 14 years of service he would only have to serve another 6 years to get his 20 in. Plus, he is an O1 get third year Navy pay. So it does have its kick backs.
No offense V2.0 that does not make a lot of sense. I understand you plan on being a 20+, but for someone who is not. I don't think the Navy would invest all that time and money to only have that pilot serve one year. That person would not even get a full sea tour done. Some times ok a lot of times the recruiters aren't fully aware of the whole program. I know The one my husband had did not know much at all about the officer side of it. Like I said I am sure you plan on staying one way or the other but you might want to look further into it. Cause if you got false into on that then who knows what else they could have told you wrong.
The Navy has many different regulations and terms, and it is hard to know them all. When do you start OCS?
Kelly

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You will be committed to 8 years of service from your Winging date (I guess that changed recently, I only have a 7 year commitment for P3s..). That will basically get you through the FRS, your first sea tour, and your first shour tour, don't know how the timing would work out to extend, or be forced into orders for the follow on though.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Just to clarify and agree with the last two comments...I was told about the contracts are a post winging commitment by my OSO not a little bird...Once again however I'm going USMC not Navy so the last two folks will know exactly how it works there. In the USMC all planes are 8 year actives and helos are 6's though they will probably also go to 8's soon. I'm going NFO so I have 6 active and then 2 reserve if I don't re-up (post winging). I believe the other billets also have a 2 year reserve on the back half of them as well.

version2point0

i guess i dont know then... but like i said, i dont care :) long-term for me. 3rd generation navy so may as well make the best of it!

im in OCS as of 25jan. check it out here: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3647

-v2.0

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Eight years from the winging date!?
bigeyes_125.gif
Wow, I didn't know that one!!
boggled_125.gif
That would make my husband 38 then! Yikes. I for some reason thought the training was part of those 8 years- so we wouldn't be so old when he was done with the military! Hmmmm...but then again, maybe he can extend for another 2 years, and then permanently retire at 40!? Lol...ok, wishful thinking!
icon_smile_wink.gif

Thanks for the info John....good to know.

Heather

av8tor

A wise man once gave me this advice, "If you want to be rich in this life son, keep your first house and your first wife." For the females, at 10 years your entitled to half his retirement, best of luck.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To clear up the BDCP contract and length of service committment...

Your contract for BDCP requires a 4 year committment after OCS graduation. However, that will be superceded by the 8 year committment that you will enter into when you begin flight training. As previously stated in other posts, the 8 years don't start ticking away until AFTER winging. I was a little confused when I read the 4 year thing in my contract, but I have a great recruiter who cleared everything up for me. Again, if you fly you WILL serve 8 years AFTER winging. Your BDCP contract will be superceded by you aviation committment.

I_Love_My_Bean

Ok..i have a question now! I know my SO has an 8 year commitment after he gets done with training, but it was posted here that training can last anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years. Why would training only be 1.5 years?? What is the average training period for SNA??

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Depends upon the pipeline (platform you select), helos take the shortest time to get through, then p3s and finally, jets take the longest training route. Also depends on variables such as how fast you go through training, and if you hit any "speedbumps" along the way. I made it through very quickly, and was winged roughly a year and a half after my commissioning.

kelly

D_macs Wife
Yes the process will be a little quicker but not much, your SO will not have to go thru API, which right now has a month or so wait then takes a month or two to get thru. Again it depends on each person how quick they go thru the training. But with his Private Pilot lic. he can shorten his training by a few months is all.

I_Love_My_Bean

SO what would come after OCS for someone that has a pilots license? API?
Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated!!! :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.