• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

quick question about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldahla

hey there-
i just have a question that anyone should feel free to answer. what is life like being with a boyfriend/husband after OCS and after training?? is it hard? i might be overthinking things because i tend to do that, but for some reason i don't envision really good?? but then again, i'm not too informed on the whole thing. please respond--i'm just really curious!

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Idahla - I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if it's more difficult to be with your boyfriend/husband after OCS/training because they've changed while they were gone? Being with my boyfriend after OCS was exactly like being with my boyfriend before OCS except now we live in different cities.
icon_smile.gif

Kathy

slvinst8

Hi Idahla! Just depends from one person to the next! I have to admit, my husband was different, and tended to get on my nerves, but it was mostly all little stuff! Like having EVERYTHING organized and in a particular order. And there was a certain stiffness about his posture. All in all, my OCS grad has gotten pretty much back to normal, and can again let lose, without fear of the Rose garden or getting sent back to poopies!

ldahla

i guess i meant more with his job...like do you get to see him very much? for some reason i envision not being to be with him all that much--or do i have the wrong impression?? i guess i maybe just have a "movie" image of the whole military thing.

version2point0

see, the whole movie thing takes place after the person is war-qualified. just because they graduate OCS doesnt mean they are shipped off to no-mans-land to fight in a plane or with a gun. after OCS is a lot more school. the new officer must learn their dicipline in the navy, beit flying, driving, computers... or whatever. basically after OCS it becomes an 8 to 5 school day. just like a job with on the job training. for about 2 to 5 years after OCS the new officer will be spending his day learning. only later in life, once he has learned his job as best he can and becomes war-qualified will he be redirected to front-line duty stations.

-v2.0

ldahla

thanks version2point0...this is for naval aviators you're talking right?? so they spend their time learning for years? an aviators term is 8 years, right? so a lot of that is spend training or what?? am i understanding you right? this is assuming that someone spends the limited time in the navy (8 yrs i think) and doesn't make a career out of it? please respond again...just to make sure i'm on the right track!

version2point0

no maam, that rough outline i described is for everyone: surface warefare officers, intel officers, crypto, subs, pilots, NFOs... everyone. pilots get their wings roughly 2 to 3 years after training begins and then they go to school to learn better about what they are going to fly. i have been accepted as an aviator and my contract with the navy is 4 years after OCS. by that time i will be qualified to fly whatever i wind up flying (jets... helos... etc.) but the general school/work structure is the same for everyone: for the first couple of years its just on the job school. 9 to 5 dayjob-style.

please note that this is rough and without practical experience. at any time the navy can change that structure dependent upon the needs of the navy. but for the most part my words come from my father (who was a retired captian, pilot of F18s) my recruiters and other people whom i know that have finished OCS before me. they all have said the same things i have said to you now.

-v2.0

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Idhala, welcome to the forum. version2.0 genelized your question quite well. Every position in the military has a training time period before you get to your first Fleet command. Since I think you are directing your question towards aviation, it takes anywhere from 1.5-3 years to get completely through the training pipeline before you check into your first Fleet Squadron. During that time frame, you have your training classes, flights, and other requirements to attend to, and depending on the route you take, you may move from place to place as you go from one phase of training to another. But you will be home every night.

When you finally make it to your first Fleet Squadron, depending on where they are, you might join them on deployment, or when they are on homecycle. Depending on the community you have different rotations, 24 month cycles or 18 month cycles. IE, you deploy for 6 months, and then are home for a year or a year and half to complete that cycle, then you begin again. Also, deployments, especially in todays world, can extend past that 6 months, some of the carriers have deployed up to 9 months lately. While on homecycle, you go to work as normal, train, and prepare for the next deployment. In some cases you will det to other locations to train for a couple weeks. All of this is speaking in general terms, since each community is different, but it give you a general idea. The first sea tour lasts 3 years, and that would give you possibly 2 sea tours, so, gone 1 year of the 3 years. After the first sea tour, you have a shore tour lasting anywhere from 24-36 months, once again, community specific, and where you end up going. On a shore tour, you are on NOT the "hook" to deploy, depending on your job of course.

Hopefully that shed some light on your question.

boobytrapper

Originally posted by version2point0
i have been accepted as an aviator and my contract with the navy is 4 years after OCS. by that time i will be qualified to fly whatever i wind up flying (jets... helos... etc.)

Aviation for only 4 years? Am I missing something here?

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Also, unless the Navy is different than the Marine Corps your time toward whatever you say your contract is POST winging...They don't always tell you this up front...in other words you sign your contract that says 6 active 2 reserve, etc and you think that after OCS you start into that 6 years...WRONG. I know this is true in the USMC because 1) that's what I was told and 2) if you wash out of flight school they aren't going to revert you to a ground contract with only 2+ years left on it. That would be a terrible ROE (return on investment).

version2point0

mine said 4 years from OCS. thats what i read on my forms. and the explanation from my officer recruiter was that once i was done learning how to fly, id probably have one command and then id be done. but like i said, if i was misinformed, i dont care because im one of those guys who wants to make it a 20+ career. i intend to leave the navy with at least three stars on my shoulder :)

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.