• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions regarding the Mechanical Section (and a few other things)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
In my Arco book math and verbal are two very distinct sections. In fact there are 2 separate math sections , and 3 separate verbal sections.

This may clear up your discrepancies between your Arco book and the actual test, and may answer some of your other questions. A new edition of Arco may have come out because the different sections in my Arco weren't separated that way. In mine, only the Air Force test is separated like that.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136235&highlight=9%2F9%2F9%2F64

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
When I asked my recruiter what I should prepare for he told me not to worry about the tests relating to flight since I wasn't interested in that area.

But on here people are saying they take all the tests regardless.

One thing you will learn is that some recruiters tend to be a little cavalier sometimes. It is, after all, the Aviation Selection Test Battery so it is usually assumed that you'll take the whole test. He is right though in that you don't REALLY have to take the SA and Aviation/Nautical section, but wouldn't it be neat to try? Here's the official gobbledy-gook from the Navy:

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/astb/astbwebsitewriteup.htm

For most intents and purposes that is the gospel.

Durron

One thing you will learn is that some recruiters tend to be a little cavalier sometimes. It is, after all, the Aviation Selection Test Battery so it is usually assumed that you'll take the whole test. He is right though in that you don't REALLY have to take the SA and Aviation/Nautical section, but wouldn't it be neat to try? Here's the official gobbledy-gook from the Navy:

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/astb/astbwebsitewriteup.htm

For most intents and purposes that is the gospel.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to study for the aviation or nautical sections.

nicknight

easy look at the gouge on this site! The only thing I had issues with was the whole buoy concept (never been sailing on the ocean or in harbors)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ahh yes, the ol "I use engineering, math, and physics all the time in the fleet because I have to calculate blah blah blah" discussion.

People that think they don't use engineering, math, or physics in the fleet just don't get it. "Using" is not dependent on having to "calculate."

You're right, I'm wrong. Of course by your simplistic logic an accountant operating an adding machine is "using" engineering. Equally simplistic is your understanding of the context of my post.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right, I'm wrong. Of course by your simplistic logic an accountant operating an adding machine is "using" engineering. Equally simplistic is your understanding of the context of my post.
I think I understood your post and the lack of importance you place on technical knowledge. If your context was contrary to my interpretation and I misunderstood, then by all means reeducate me.

We've had this ridiculous discussion here many time before. You don't have to sit down and crank out a new design to be using engineering. You don't have to solve differential equations to be using math. And you don't have to calculate impulse to be using physics.

But like I said, folks either get it or they don't.