• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions regarding the Mechanical Section (and a few other things)

Durron

Hey I am currently studying to prepare for the ASTB. I had a few questions. I recieved my BA in Politics and Psychology so as you can probably guess I am not interested in the engineering/flight side of the Navy. What I am really looking for is a position in intelligence or some other management branch or possibly law. So far I've been able to relearn most of the math I haven't touched since high school, but the mechanical questions are posing quite a problem for me.

I was never a math person. I took up through calculus in high school and never took a math class, except statistics, in college. I also never took a physics class, which I think is whats making the mechanical sections a bit more difficult. Its like learning it from scratch. Some of the questions are pretty simple ti grasp (IE weight placement , simple gravity questions) but others are a bit more complex for someone with such a shallow background in physics. Most of the questions I can answer in the book are ones I just logically know the answer too.

Anyways, I was wondering, how important is this section on the test? For someone who's job field will probably involve little math/physics does it weight heavily? Or are all scores just looked at as a compilation of how well you do on all 3 sections?
Furthermore, I would really appreciate it if anyone had any tips for me on how to become more proficient on this part of the test. Doing well on this test as a whole is very important to me.

As a side note, I've read quite a few posts here were people list there ASTB score alone with 3 other numbers. What exactly are these numbers refering to? I assume they have to do with either the optional flight portion of the test or other option parts. However, I would like to be sure I am fully prepared when I take this. The recruiters I have spoken with have only mentioned the ASTB and the optional flight battery test. But I would like a heads up if there are sections I am required to take that cover more then just the Verbal/Math/Mechanical sections.

Thanks in advance.

nicknight

There is an Arco book about the ASTB that dives into every question you could ever have about the ASTB The math/mech portion are pretty simple

The three scores are :
AQR Academic Qualifications Rating
PFAR Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating
FOFAR Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating

and the ASTB score you referred to is the OAR

Im sure a bunch of guys will chime in just use the search function for ASTB Gouge

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The first physics class I took in college was way more intense than the ASTB (and I'm not an engi or anything), so I don't think you would be missing anything you wouldn't have learned in a good HS physics class.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Yes, the mechanical is a big part of the OAR. The Arco ASTB book has already been pointed out, but it would be a great idea to also pick up an ASVAB book. The ASVAB has a lot of mech stuff on it so the ASVAB book should also cover it. You may want to peruse a Physics for Dummies book as well. Mechanics is sort of a misnomer because it also has a smidge of electricity (which, before I get PM'd by some egghead, can also be looked at as mechanics in general terms) and some lab equipment.

Math- also use said ASVAB book along with an SAT or GRE book.

Remember, it's all about aptitude so you can't just cram and expect to do well. The material tested needs to be a fundamental part of your own knowledge or it will show in your score. Also remember that if you can't commit it to your knowledge then you are too dumb to be qualified, simple as that, no use fighting it. So many people around here can't figure that out. Best of luck to you.

Durron

There is an Arco book about the ASTB that dives into every question you could ever have about the ASTB The math/mech portion are pretty simple

The three scores are :
AQR Academic Qualifications Rating
PFAR Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating
FOFAR Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating

and the ASTB score you referred to is the OAR

Im sure a bunch of guys will chime in just use the search function for ASTB Gouge

Can you clear this up for me? You list 4 things, the AQR, PFAR, FOFAR, and OAR. Which of these is required for somone not pursuing a non-engineering/piloting career?

And as far as "aptitude" goes. All the pure potential in the world, which is what aptitude is attempting to decipher, will not magically bestow upon you the rules of mathematics /psychics. Even the most brilliant minds have to be educated. Nobody is just born with knowledge.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at by saying "You can't just cram and do well." I'm not sure what your definition of cram is but I am attempting to study and relearn/learn some mathematics and physics to improve my score on this test.

I did not go to college for math/physics and I don't see myself in a career that relies heavily on mathematics or physics. However, if its required to do well on this test, then I will study it and learn it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I did not go to college for math/physics and I don't see myself in a career that relies heavily on mathematics or physics.

I used math and engineering extensively in the fleet. I had to make sure that my division's eval averages stayed close to what the CO was looking for.

As for flying, I used math all the time, I had to calculate my redlight every time I took off.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
And as far as "aptitude" goes. All the pure potential in the world, which is what aptitude is attempting to decipher, will not magically bestow upon you the rules of mathematics /psychics. Even the most brilliant minds have to be educated. Nobody is just born with knowledge.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at by saying "You can't just cram and do well." I'm not sure what your definition of cram is but I am attempting to study and relearn/learn some mathematics and physics to improve my score on this test.

I did not go to college for math/physics and I don't see myself in a career that relies heavily on mathematics or physics. However, if its required to do well on this test, then I will study it and learn it.

Easy there killer. If you have the aptitude, then you will learn the material. You have the right attitude towards studying and learning. I'm saying that too many guys get it in their heads that there is some kind of magic bullet that allows them to ace the ASTB without actually KNOWING the stuff. All too often they won't admit to themselves that they actually suck too much to get what they want.

Although, if you do happen to figure out the rules of psychics...drop me a line. It'll make the physics tests much easier.:D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Can you clear this up for me? You list 4 things, the AQR, PFAR, FOFAR, and OAR. Which of these is required for somone not pursuing a non-engineering/piloting career?

Some communities like Supply only require the OAR, but most recruiters, from what I have heard, still have you take the whole test to keep your options open. I am a poli sci major and did the whole test. It isnt that hard. The scoring (correct me if im wrong please) is not based on what you got, but puts you in a percentile of what others have scored. Its like a bell curve. AQR is your academic score or how well you will do in academic training, the PFAR is Pilot score and FOFAR is Flight Officer. The hardest part of the test is the Math, Verbal and Mechanical, which determines your OAR or Officer apptitude rating. You get 3 tries in your life. Just study the Arco, use the search function, and expect to use math in all Navy careers.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used math and engineering extensively in the fleet. I had to make sure that my division's eval averages stayed close to what the CO was looking for.

As for flying, I used math all the time, I had to calculate my redlight every time I took off.
Ahh yes, the ol "I use engineering, math, and physics all the time in the fleet because I have to calculate blah blah blah" discussion.

People that think they don't use engineering, math, or physics in the fleet just don't get it. "Using" is not dependent on having to "calculate."

Durron

Easy there killer. If you have the aptitude, then you will learn the material. You have the right attitude towards studying and learning. I'm saying that too many guys get it in their heads that there is some kind of magic bullet that allows them to ace the ASTB without actually KNOWING the stuff. All too often they won't admit to themselves that they actually suck too much to get what they want.

Although, if you do happen to figure out the rules of psychics...drop me a line. It'll make the physics tests much easier.:D

Heh Psychics.

And I understand what you mean. I am not looking for the easy way. Its just I did not go to school for math/science. It had been 4-5 years since I did any multiplication/division without a calculator. Ive had to relearn much of what I had thought forgotten and when it comes to the physics part of the test I literally have to learn it from scratch. But I am willing to put in the time to do so. Not looking for a quick fix.

nicknight

Durron, I wasnt intentionally being obscure with my reply... but the test has been broken down a whole bunch of times on this forum (thats why I said look through the forums via the search function) Look at the Required Reading section also it explains most of the basic questions about the ASTB There is one test 4 scores, for Intel they rely heavily on OAR (Officer Aptitude Rating) but they still look at the 3 other scores

"Examinees receive 4 scores that are derived from combinations of the subtests. The following three scores are relevant to the selection of aviation candidates: The Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR) is predictive of academic performance in aviation preflight instruction (API) and primary phase ground school. The Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR) is predictive of primary flight performance for Student Naval Aviators (SNAs). The Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR) is predictive of primary flight performance for Student Naval Flight Officers (SNFOs). AQR, PFAR and FOFAR scores range from 1 to 9." http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/astbprep.htm

Hope I helped?

Durron

Durron, I wasnt intentionally being obscure with my reply... but the test has been broken down a whole bunch of times on this forum (thats why I said look through the forums via the search function) Look at the Required Reading section also it explains most of the basic questions about the ASTB There is one test 4 scores, for Intel they rely heavily on OAR (Officer Aptitude Rating) but they still look at the 3 other scores

"Examinees receive 4 scores that are derived from combinations of the subtests. The following three scores are relevant to the selection of aviation candidates: The Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR) is predictive of academic performance in aviation preflight instruction (API) and primary phase ground school. The Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR) is predictive of primary flight performance for Student Naval Aviators (SNAs). The Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR) is predictive of primary flight performance for Student Naval Flight Officers (SNFOs). AQR, PFAR and FOFAR scores range from 1 to 9." http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/astbprep.htm

Hope I helped?

Yes. I don't mean to seem lazy. I have read through the forums, but I keep getting conflicting answers. When I asked my recruiter what I should prepare for he told me not to worry about the tests relating to flight since I wasn't interested in that area.

But on here people are saying they take all the tests regardless.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Once you get done with the math, verbal and mechanical, the test is really downhill. Study as much as you can for the aeronautical and naval history/terms/apperception sections, but really work on the first the 3. Make sure you TIME YOURSELF!! That seems to be alot of peoples killer. Also, keep in mind the arco format is different from the ASTB and runs the Math and Verbal together, but on the ASTB they are 3 seperate sections. Good Luck.

Durron

Once you get done with the math, verbal and mechanical, the test is really downhill. Study as much as you can for the aeronautical and naval history/terms/apperception sections, but really work on the first the 3. Make sure you TIME YOURSELF!! That seems to be alot of peoples killer. Also, keep in mind the arco format is different from the ASTB and runs the Math and Verbal together, but on the ASTB they are 3 seperate sections. Good Luck.

In my Arco book math and verbal are two very distinct sections. In fact there are 2 separate math sections , and 3 separate verbal sections.

nicknight

The entire test is important because whatever you are doing in the Navy you will need to know the basics whether it be math verbal skills mechanics or even flight properties (which resemble a ship's in many ways) they want to see that you aren't going to be given an Intel position and have no idea what Pilot's or NFO's deal with So while the ASTB isnt AS important for you compared to SNA's or NFO's it is a major plus if you kick ass on it while applying for Intel One piece of advice is to go back to SAT study guides and look over the math and verbal sections as for mechanics and physics the Arco book covers it or if you have a highschool physics book just look through all the formulas and such... You wont need the advanced calculus based physics at all on this test just gravity levers pulleys etc The problems arent hard they are tricky they are trying to see if you can do the basics quickly, a skill which is very handy in any Naval career