• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions regarding Christmas Exodus during Pilot Training

Alec Birchfield

Good evening everyone!

I am currently awaiting to go to Navy OCS on 6 Oct 2013. As I understand it, OCS offers on optional leave period during the Christmas break. I will commission sometime hopefully in late January 2014 if there are no delays, and I will start pilot training sometime next year.

I will be in pilot training by the time Christmas comes around, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not the optional leave applies for those in pilot training or not like it does in OCS. I have been told it does, but I was just wanting confirmation on it because my fiance and I would most likely try and have our wedding during the Christmas Exodus in 2014.

Thank you for any and all answers! God Bless

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto this thread, I had the same question about Thanksgiving break, specifically WRT Primary training. Corpus, if it matters.
Much obliged.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

The details vary, but the answer is basically yes, flight students are allowed to take leave during those major holidays.

(Also, I think you might be confusing Christmas with Passover.)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Squadron dependent based on student loading, production requirements, and the Skippers mood. I've seen squadrons get a week or two, unless you were pre solo and then you got a 96 for each holiday.

Alec Birchfield

Ok, thanks! We don't have enough time for a wedding before, and we definitely wouldn't try to do one during pilot training unless we knew for sure that there was a time that I could take leave for a wedding.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I got married over the holidays when I was in advanced. Wasn't a big deal at all, and I spent all 4 Christmas breaks during the VT's/FRS at home. Some commands do blanket leave blocks, some do 2 different leave periods that you can choose between (normally on including Christmas, and one including new year's).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, thanks! We don't have enough time for a wedding before, and we definitely wouldn't try to do one during pilot training unless we knew for sure that there was a time that I could take leave for a wedding.

What kind of wedding are you planning? The reason I ask is that all but one of my military buds, and me too, did a 'legal' wedding before their 'real' one to make life easier in the military (convenience, benefits, etc). The Navy has a good way of changing plans at the last minute your best laid plans be damned, you may want to consider that before planning the princess wedding of your dreams.

I got married in advanced over the "holiday" leave period. Basically the wing or command said that they would open up a period of about two weeks for people to take leave. I think it's pretty common to see from around 23December-2January. I have seen that in surface commands too. Obviously don't count on that until you get to your command, and ask what the policy is.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Squadron dependent based on student loading, production requirements, and the Skippers mood. I've seen squadrons get a week or two, unless you were pre solo and then you got a 96 for each holiday.

This.

While in Primary I wasn't allowed to take leave as a pre-solo stud in VT-2. Thanksgiving 96, Christmas 96 and New Years 72. However, in Kingsville we were given a block option (early, or later). YMMV.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto this thread, I had the same question about Thanksgiving break, specifically WRT Primary training. Corpus, if it matters.
Much obliged.

28 is getting the standard 4 days for Thanksgiving. Christmas is 1630 on 20 Dec until 0530 on 2 Jan. Not sure what 27 is doing but probably something similar.

Fallonflyr

pilot
You don't need time off to get married during flt school. I got married Sept, 12 1984 during T-2 FCLPs. Bounced in the AM, then that afternoon Married at the Beeville courthouse by the JP. My buds all showed up in dress whites and did the sword arch thing at the courthouse steps and we all went to the club where the manager had an open bar. LSO's scheduled a night bounce for the next day so the place rocked. 29 years later and she still hasn't figured out a way to shitcan me.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
Don't know that I've ever heard a navy guy refer to flight school as "pilot training" unless they went through Vance AFB.