• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from an aspiring Naval Officer

navymech

Hi all,

I'm 17, and will be leaving for boot in August 06', with a give year commitment with an AD rating. My goal is to (!hopefully!) finish up a BS degree while on active duty, during my off-time, and apply to OCS when my commitment is up, for an SNA slot. I know the odds are against me on this one, but I'm keeping a positive attitude of "I can, and I will." Although in reality, does this seem like it could happen? While my goal is to become an Officer, what are the odds of a mustang getting a pilot slot out of OCS? Mind you, this is just studying like crazy during my off-time, without the STA-21 programs or the like.

I figure if I'm unable to finish my degree up in time, I'll only be 23, I will have had an aviation job in the Navy, so I have many options, I could go Army WOFT, re-up to finish the degree then go for OCS, get out and finish my degree then go for OCS.

Like I said, it's going to be tough, but if I don't try, that's just makes it easier for the folks trying to the same thing.

If anyone has an advice, or comments, I would appreciate them.

Side note, anyone stationed up at NAS Whidbey Island? That's my first choice to be stationed and was curious is anyone had any comments about the base, thanks!

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
navymech said:
My goal is to (!hopefully!) finish up a BS degree while on active duty, during my off-time, and apply to OCS when my commitment is up, for an SNA slot. I know the odds are against me on this one, but I'm keeping a positive attitude of "I can, and I will." Although in reality, does this seem like it could happen? While my goal is to become an Officer, what are the odds of a mustang getting a pilot slot out of OCS?
If your goal is to be an officer, then it is absolutely possible. If your goal is to complete your degree in four years during which you will be very busy learning your new job, qualifying, etc., then apply for OCS, then hope to get a SNA slot, then your are really stacking the cards against yourself. As KimberlyD mentioned, what about STA-21? That would be a much easier route to go than the aforementioned path (provided you are a competitive enough applicant). You are still very young and have plenty of time to make these decisions after you get into the Navy and figure some things out. Come to think of it, you are still young enough to also apply for USNA or NROTC even after you are enlisted, so STA-21 or OCS are not your only choices. Like I said get in the Navy, always keeping your long-term goal in mind, and give 110% in everything you do, strive for the harder tasks and assignments and things will work out for you before you know it.

PS. I was 26 before I got picked up for STA and I got a pilot slot so I know for a fact it's possible.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
STA 21 is awesome because you can apply for a pilot slot right off the bat. You can become an OC and go to school, the whole time knowing you'll be a SNA. NROTC and the USNA can't guarantee that the same. I guess if you go to OCS you know what job you're headed into, but that's not the free ride STA 21 is. You should look into it.

I just graduated through the STA-21 program. I was picked up for the Core option and when it came time to select I selected pilot and got it. Unless you are unqualified (medically, etc) then there is an excellent chance of getting your first choice out of NROTC as an OC. I was an AE2 with 4 years active duty when I got picked up, made AE1 while going to college.

navymech

My bad, I think you might have misunderstood me. I said is it at all possible to get a degree, OCS, SNA etc etc without the help of STA-21 as it is the hardest way and the most "certain." Don't get my wrong I'm going to research every enlisted-to-officer program there is and apply, apply, apply. But, as we all know we are never guaranteed getting in to STA-21, or the like, which hopefully explains why I asked about becoming an officer w/o any "help." Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I've been researching STA-21 for awhile now, hopefully all goes well when it comes time to apply.

Someone also mentioned I could still apply to USNA an NROTC... I read about this somewhere but it really didn't make much sense, with the USNA prep-school and so forth... care to explain?

Thanks all, sorry for the confusion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The prep school is only for those who "need" it. I'm sure some guys more educated on current Academy admissions will chime in, but basically you need to be inducted by age 23 (?). NROTC doesn't have the same limits, especially as your time in service increases. It's my understanding that if you're coming from the fleet (and not getting out and then applying) the only way to do NROTC now is through STA-21.

It would also be possible if you still had 2+ years of college left and decided to get out of the Navy, and then applied for college program through NROTC, you could still get picked up. But again, that's greatly reducing your chances compared to just kicking butt at your first fleet tour, getting the quals you can (PC, CDI) and making rate (or at least making the grade but not advancing) and have glowing recs from your chain of command. All pretty easy to do if you work hard.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
gatordev's right on the age 23 thing, as well as NAPS being only for those who 'need' it. On successful completion of NAPS, you are offered a SECNAV nomination to USNA. Primarily, the focus at NAPS is on math, chemistry and physics, all of which you will receive heavy doses of at the academy. As a secondary function it serves as an adaptation period to USNA type environment. Personally speaking, had I not gone to NAPS, there's no way I would have stayed sane enough to complete four years. I guess you could say I needed a little behavior modification to go from motivated NCO to midshipman.

At least on the Marine side, it wasn't that easy to balance work requirements with off duty education, and that was in the airwing and during 'peacetime'. Definitely workable, but I wouldn't bank on being able to do it in four years with today's optempo.

JimmyK

I'm in the DEP for the Marine Corps, does that Naval Academy go for Marines also? The only thing my recruiter told me about was MECEP, hell thats basically what got me to join the Marines, but if I had the opportunity to go to the Academy I'd be all over that.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
There are roughly 100 seats each class at the USNA reserved for active duty Marines and Sailors. Marines and Sailors do not compete with civillians for those appointments. Those who are selected attend with a SECNAV recommendation in place of a congressman's. The same age limits apply, you must start Plebe year before your 23rd birthday.

In other news, it takes four years of full time study to get a degree. It's nearly impossible to do part time in four years. If you stay in past your initial commitment, then yeah, you can finish a degree and apply to OCS from the enlisted ranks.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My class at USNA had roughly 20-24 prior Marines in it, and about 3-4 times that for Sailors. Not everyone went to the prep school, but the majority did. I want to say that there are more than 100 spots available for prior enlisted folks, but my data is outdated. The opportunity is there, though, and from what I can tell, I had a pretty smooth time going through the application process as an enlisted Marine. That's compared to some people fighting for a Congressional nomination in the civilian realm, though, which can be tooth-and-nail.

navymech

Couple questions,

For admission to the USNA as an enlisted, are the requirements any different from that of a civilian? Harder, easier, etc etc.

Kind of off topic, but how much does having a technical degree (Engineering) "help" your chances of getting a commission but morely a SNA slot.

Also, just to make sure, the only program that you will know ahead of time what you will be doing is through STA-21, whereas if you were to go through USNA or OCS you will be competing with the other applicants for billets?

Thanks again everyone for the info, I really appreciate it.