• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from a befuddled would-be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stEAGLE

greetings. I'm a prospective Navy Officer with that all-familiar dream of aviation. I've got no prior military training but do have my degree so have been considering OCS seriously as of late. However there are a couple things that might be huge in discouraging me from signing up:

1) Eye sight. I am really confused over this. I know the Navy performs PRK while you're on active duty if you qualify, but I've read that you're disqualified from pilot training if you received PRK before joining the Navy. I also have read that you have to take certain aptitude tests for pilot training near the very beginning of your OCS training. So let me get this straight - I can't get my eyes corrected before I enter OCS because of pilot disqualification, so obviously I'll fail the eye tests and get NPQ status, then eventually get PRK when the waiting list reaches me, and then...? What will I be doing in the meantime while I wait for PRK? Man, I'm freakin confused. Someone PLEASE clarify all this and I'll buy you a deserted island.

2) College Loan Repayment Program - a large reason why I considered the military in the first place was the enticing prospect of having my $20,000 in student loans get paid off. But I recently read this is only an enlistment incentive and not available for officers. Why??? So even before I'm commissioned, but while I am at OCS, I am not eligible? If this is true, can someone explain the reasoning behind this? Officers have college debt too!

That's basically it. I'll save my other less-important questions after I can get these things cleared up.

BTW, nice forums, glad to have found them.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know what's up with that article, but I'm pretty sure you have to be 20/40 uncorrected for pilot. You can get PRK before you apply, but then you need to get a waiver, and PRK ain't cheap. To answer your question, they won't accept you with the contigency of getting PRK so your eyes will be in standards.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as college debt goes - you're on your own as far as I know. If you need PRK to get your vision up to par you have to pay for that also. Then you have to get a waiver... that takes time (from what I hear). The news may not sound good - they are full up on pilots and aren't making it easy for new applicants to get in.

stEAGLE

hmmm this still isn't clear to me. why would i have to pay for PRK myself when the Navy will pay for it? or are you saying that i would need to get it done prior to entering OCS. that's one of the areas i can't get a straight answer on it seems.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to get PRK and are not already enlisted in the Navy, YOU will have to pay for it. Before OCS. If you need PRK to meet pilot eye standards, they will not accept you and then foot the bill later. Your eyes have to be good at the time of application. Make sense?

If you are enlisted there may be a way to get them to pay for it. I have absolutely no idea whether that is possible or not - but I know you CAN'T get it paid for as a civilian OCS applicant.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
stEAGLE,

You have to have 20/40 uncorrected vision or better correctable to 20/20. If you have PRK done (assuming you're within the pre-op standards) and it successfully corrects your vision, then its just as if you are applying as someone with 20/20 vision. But you do need to wait the time, and have the waiver, etc. as mentioned above and in other threads.

Before you apply to OCS, you are still a cilivian and will need to get it on your own. The military wont pay for it.

stEAGLE

Oh I understand that, perhaps I was unclear, my apologies. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can go to OCS with my glasses (with glasses, my eyes are corrected to 20/20), take whatever tests necessasry, and THEN get on the waiting list for PRK. I'm unsure if my chances are worse if I choose to wait to receive PRK instead of getting it as a civilian w/ a waiver.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
once you're selected for OCS, that spot is yours to lose. You don't go to OCS then figure out your designator. Is your vision 20/40 or better without glasses? If not, you won't be eligible for Pilot w/o PRK prior to applying. Hope this helps.

stEAGLE

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to mention this next time I speak with the Officer Recruiter, as he suggested that I could go to OCS, get PRK done later, then become a pilot, which seems to contradict what you're saying.

stEAGLE

Just wanted to add... seems without PRK, my pilot dreams are futile, so would it be more practical to consider NFO? I can't remember the vision requirements but I believe it's far less than pilot, plus less competitive (so I hear). There's a possibility, if the requirements meet my current vision stats, I could enter the Navy without PRK and get it done later, like I was mentioning in the posts above. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Now that you can do. The requirements for NFO are correctable to 20/20 as long as your diopters are less than 8.00 (that's REALLY blind), so you'll be fine going for NFO with contacts/glasses, then get your self on the list at a later date.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
To echo everyone else. PRK is not a sure deal. The Navy doesnt want to waste a slot on someone pending that their eyes are fixed with the surgery. Thats why after having it done, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can apply, just to make sure that everything goes through ok with your eyes. It would be a waste of time and money for the Navy to accept someone for pilot with poor eyesight and give them the surgery just to find out that it didnt completely fix their vision.

I know of lots of SNAs who have gotten the surgery then applied. It seems to be becoming more and more popular these days.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
stEAGLE said:
2) College Loan Repayment Program - a large reason why I considered the military in the first place was the enticing prospect of having my $20,000 in student loans get paid off. But I recently read this is only an enlistment incentive and not available for officers. Why??? So even before I'm commissioned, but while I am at OCS, I am not eligible? If this is true, can someone explain the reasoning behind this? Officers have college debt too!

I'll be perfectly blunt about this. Sorry if it sounds harsh. Your reason as stated above is a pretty poor reason to join. If you have a dream of being a military pilot, then great, there are many avenues of getting there. However, please consider a different line of work if your student loans are you primary concern when deciding to join.

stEAGLE

I'll be blunt also, "a large reason" is not the same as a "primary concern." I think it's a fair and legitimate question to ask why this program is offered to those without degrees (in other words, those who don't even have debt yet) as opposed to those with degrees. I'm sure there's a greater "grunt" need in the military than officer need, but surely, offering the CLRP to prospective officers would make the transition from civilian life to military life a lot more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.